Coc#3 Ironmind Cert & Small Hands.?

David Mitti

I know the saying -If you want it bad enough you will make it happen ,but is there a limit with hand size and a Coc#3 cert .??

I know this was discussed with the blob and small hands and some small handed guys have destroyed the blob.

Just throwing this out there to see what some guys hand sizes(wrist to tip of middle finger) are that have certed.

This is a long term grip goal of mine one day and I have the pleasure of sporting small hands- just over 7.25"

• Like 1

If you can close no.1 than Why not no.3 ???? ;)

In different words: if your hand is big enough to close no.1 than also it's big enough for no.3

• Like 2

You could always cert with a two-finger close :D

I don't think hand size is a limitation unless the hands are very small. Some grippers have a wide spread also so it's a good idea to practice with grippers like that. Some COC's I have are not good for CCS training becasue I think the spread is too narrow. The wider the better.

• Like 1

Possible, but of course not as easy as with bigger Hands. If the fingers are not too short, it will help of Course. A Long Palm probably doesnt help much with CC set.

• Like 1

When looking back I really focused too much on setting grippers, 25mm or narrower, which does not build wide set strength at all. Sure, mms a heavy gripper makes a no set for a lower gripper perhaps easier, but this rule does not go on forever, specially not from 2.5 and up. My perspective. So it is mostly a strength issue I believe. Sure, size could be an issue but it's wth outliers to both sides I would guess. Both extremely small hands or large hands probably aren't beneficial. But in between, again , I would say: strength.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the feedback ,really interesting hearing the experiences and thoughts of the more accomplished gripper guys!!

It sounds that if you can ccs one gripper than there's a real good chance with hard work and the right training you can do it. I'm also getting the vib that if the coc#3 cert is what one wants that wide sets are obviously going to be the bulk of that ones routine... I been working mostly mms reps as of now to manage a future MM0 cert ,once this happens I will change up my focus to wide work for the bulk of my training. Thanks again everyone for sharing!

Edited by David Mitti

My hands are broad but I would be in the small hands class. My right hand 7 7/78" and my left 7 3/4" . I didn't ever get much from my pinky but did well enough certifying on #3 twice with a 17 year span between certs.. Closing the silver crush 3 with two fingers and thumb late in 1991, two finger and thumb pinch deadlifting 6 - 10 lb plates with 2.2 lb magnetic add. Two finger snatch 2 reps with the Blob , and hauled up and held in a partial deadlift lockout from above knee cap 1331 raw with no hooks or straps.

That being said, big hand used on an implement made to be difficult to lift by size , sure the big guys have a natural advantage . But, strength must always be present. Genetics, cycled ,varied training, rest recuperation program, and focused intense but sensible work will reap its rewards. I did the best with what I was given. If I didn't care to try ,I would have done other activities with my physical cards dealt. Enjoy!

• Like 2

My hands are broad but I would be in the small hands class. My right hand 7 7/78" and my left 7 3/4" . I didn't ever get much from my pinky but did well enough certifying on #3 twice with a 17 year span between certs.. Closing the silver crush 3 with two fingers and thumb late in 1991, two finger and thumb pinch deadlifting 6 - 10 lb plates with 2.2 lb magnetic add. Two finger snatch 2 reps with the Blob , and hauled up and held in a partial deadlift lockout from above knee cap 1331 raw with no hooks or straps.

That being said, big hand used on an implement made to be difficult to lift by size , sure the big guys have a natural advantage . But, strength must always be present. Genetics, cycled ,varied training, rest recuperation program, and focused intense but sensible work will reap its rewards. I did the best with what I was given. If I didn't care to try ,I would have done other activities with my physical cards dealt. Enjoy!

All in subject...:)

And John Brookfield have small hands....

• Like 1

I do not have big hands, nor have I certed on the #3, but I can say I've closed some heavy grippers, all MMS. At my strongest, and once I transitioned to CC closes in training, I could hit a CCS with a modified credit card on the #3. I have no doubt that with continued training and focus, I could have certed the #3. Unfortunately I wound up hurting my self and it was not meant to be.

All that crap being said, I think its just about proper programming and recovery. If you do not train with a plan, you plan to fail (in this case, not achieve your goal of smashing a #3). I picked up many tips and tricks from the heavy hitters on here and can say it helped me tremendously. It could come down to total volume, are you hitting the grippers enough? Are you basically maxing out each workout? etc.. Check in with some of the heavy hitters on their "workout reports" page and possibly think about mirroring their approach. If that doesn't help, touch base with any one of the gorilla gripped dudes in here, they're always willing to help.

Good luck and stay hungry :mosher

• 4 months later...
On February 1, 2016 at 8:12 PM, avasatu said:

A little off topic, but how did you hurt yourself? Did your hand size happen to have anything to do with it?

Nope, overtraining. I was using grippers, pinching, bending nails and weight lifting three times per week. 

My hands are 6-1/2" and am hoping to certify with the CoC#3 one day. I noticed that getting the set can be a bit of a pain but once I have the little finger on then I don't have any issues. I am very new though so maybe I'll notice more difficulty when closing heavier grippers.