Weed Out The Weak? Silver Bullet Trash Talk

Hubgeezer

Here is a link to today's IronMind's News. The winner of the Silver Bullet competition at LA's Fit Expo is quoted as saying the Silver Bullet ought to jump from the Number 3 to the Number 4. Jon-Clark Eklund had a good day on the SB last weekend, so he thinks it is time to move the gripper up a couple of tougher levels.

I guess if it is truly a "world class" grip contest, I would agree. Otherwise, I don't. Basically, it takes a 2.5 closer to get the Silver Bullet on the 3 for one second, a 3 closer to get the 3.5 to that level, and a 3.5 closer to hang on the 4 for a second. I am oversimplifying, but I think I am close.

If this is all about making an interesting "show" for the audience, which is how the giant gong designed by IronMind came into existence, it needs to be more than a few seconds. And, there are not that many competitors at something like an "Expo" contest who can do that. So, a bunch of failures, to me, equals a boring event. If you want to take the top "X" candidates and add some "rounds", that might be interesting. Top 6 on the 3 to the Top 4 on the 3.5 to the Top 2 on the 4. A Grip-Off...

I am curious if people have an opinion on this.

The Link:

http://www.ironmind.com/news/Jon-Clark-Eklund-CoC-Silver-Bullet-Champ-Wants-More/

Hbgzr

• Like 1

they could make the coc4 silver bullet as a different event. But why stop at coc4? make it with a tetting world class lol, but I guess that's not IM product

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

I was there. That gripper was tough man!! I don't remember Eklunds exact time but it wasn't anywhere near the previous 3 WRs. I got 4th with a 28 second hold. But it was a VERY tough 3 that kept both Kody and Alexey under 40 seconds. Some of the guys had a rough time just setting the damn thing. I'd bet the gripper would RGC somewhere above 160... These new 3s are coming out tougher lately as well. I attempted a cert at the contest and missed by an 8th. I was good to close my 149 going into the contest, so I'd guess my cert gripper is somewhere around 155ish.

I was there. That gripper was tough man!! I don't remember Eklunds exact time but it wasn't anywhere near the previous 3 WRs. I got 4th with a 28 second hold. But it was a VERY tough 3 that kept both Kody and Alexey under 40 seconds. Some of the guys had a rough time just setting the damn thing. I'd bet the gripper would RGC somewhere above 160... These new 3s are coming out tougher lately as well. I attempted a cert at the contest and missed by an 8th. I was good to close my 149 going into the contest, so I'd guess my cert gripper is somewhere around 155ish.

Jon, did you try the cert before the contest? You'll get it next time!

Let's like, legitimately break a minute first on the 3, then maybe consider the 3.5. Seems like kind of an egotistical suggestion to me.

Lol, dayuuum! Tell me how you really feel!

Yes, I was being a little judgmental there, haha. But it seems like an off the wall suggestion to fix a problem bigger than the one which hasn't even been solved yet.

Having different grippers for this event kinda makes me lose interest in it. As far as records are concerned.

Isn't much to be done about that.

I think it should remain the no.3 until we start getting bored watching everyone go over a minute.

• Like 2

Also, who even is that guy? What all grip accomplishments has he achieved that he thinks there should be some "weeding out if the weak"?He must be the strongest grip we've never heard of.

Oh maan, you going to make me explain it to you? Okay, I will. Give me a little time. If this geezer does not fall asleep, I'll do it tonight...

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1

Well, I did fall asleep.

I believe the first LA Fit Expo grip contest run by Haugen was 2011, and Eklund appeared in the 2012 one, which was the Silver Bullet debut. The last place finisher on an event would mean that contestant was the first to try the next event. Roland, I want to point out therefore Jon was THE VERY FIRST World record holder in the Silver Bullet. It lasted until the next contestant raised the bar...

I think the young man was a friend of Clay Edgin, is an EMT, was from LA area, and worked out at times at Haugen's home gym.

He continued to show up at those contests, and recently added quite a jump in muscle mass and overall strength. I think he certified in 2014.

Roland, I want to point out therefore Jon was THE VERY FIRST World record holder in the Silver Bullet.

He continued to show up at those contests, and recently added quite a jump in muscle mass and overall strength. I think he certified in 2014.

I was half asleep when I wrote that. I am trying to figure out what word ended up coming out as "Roland".

• Like 1

Let's like, legitimately break a minute first on the 3, then maybe consider the 3.5. Seems like kind of an egotistical suggestion to me.

Hit the nail on the head.

Dude hasn't even hit 1 minute and hes talking about a number four. Probably sleeps with a gripper.

"Weed out the weak."

I don't care who this guy is, this kind of pissing contest douchebaggery is exactly what turns a lot of people away from strength sports in general. Not only is he wrong, but even if there were multiple people hitting the 1min mark (which 40 seconds isn't anywhere near), the main draw to grip for a lot of people is that we are the best, most genuine and accepting strength community. That is a low-class remark, and talking about how the contest isn't tough enough is something that he can keep in strongman or crossfit or whatever other sport he decides to participate in. You can be strong without being elitist.

• Like 6

Yea I was there competing against eklund. he is def strong but he just had a great day. At 30 sec he was shaking and grunting. I don't think he can do a 3.5 for more than 10 sec if at all. I mean we did do eight other strength and grip events before than but I think he was just pumped about his victory over world class guys. I got 16 sec, but I relaxed too much. It was a tough three as well as Cody has mentioned. I think its a cool cry for a step up but when over half the field couldn't even get the three shut to the bullet. It is not needed yet. When three people start hitting the one min mark in contest then a jump should be in order.

• Like 2

Jon, did you try the cert before the contest? You'll get it next time!

1: Sorry to hear dude, with this cert it is very hard to know what you can expect, but expect the worst.... 2: I am really going to train, expecting the worst now...lol

Sorry Jon! Much respect to you, though. You'll kill that cert very soon.

I can't say I'm a fan of Jon Eklund's comment, but I can vouch for his strength. I went to the LA FitExpo to compete in the Visegrip Viking Challenge two years ago. There was a 198-lb class that year, and he and I were the only competitors in the class. He had lost a lot of weight for the event (he typically competes in strong man and weighs much more). We were very evenly matched -- the only reason I won the competition was that I beat him because of the tie-breaking rule. I was the lighter competitor (194 lbs vs 197 lbs). I told him about the NAGS Championship at that time. He said he'd like to attend one day. I'm confident he'd mix things up.

• Like 2

Some random stats from various Fit Expos, never before released on any forum. Random...

Second Fit Expo, January, 2012, Los Angeles

Eklund

205 Rolling Thunder

396 Axle

15.58 seconds Silver Bullet

Completed the "Viking Fishing Pole" in 20.01 Seconds (Andrew failed to complete it, Haugen did it in 24.72 seconds, Felix won in 13.16 seconds)

Silver Bullet...how hard was it? Daniel R held it for 25.77 seconds, Andrew D. 33.49 seconds, and me, as a judge with no warm-up or chalk, held it for around 20 seconds. It was not a "hard 3"

Fit Expo in LA in January 2014, Jon weighed 198 pounds

Failed at 193 in the Rolling Thunder

Fit Expo in Anaheim in August, 2015, Jon weighed in at 242 pounds

Held the Silver Bullet for 26.91 seconds, a very difficult Number 3. I came in second in that event with 11.03 seconds.

Pulled 215 on Rolling Thunder, 396 on Axle

What do I get out of this? His Axle and RT have been the same. He is heavier than he used to be. If he could do what he did four years ago on that "Viking Fishing Pole", he has a good grip and is strong, as that sucker is a beast. And lastly, his gripper strength has been improving over time.

This last "Fit Expo" was the 11th "California" grip contest held, and the first one that I have missed either competing or helping with scoring or judging. I feel the "LA" contest is for the "really strong guys" only, of which I am not worthy. There have been 6 LA contests, 4 San Jose/Santa Clara ones, and one Anaheim contest to date.

Edited by Hubgeezer

Silver Bullet...how hard was it? Daniel R held it for 25.77 seconds, Andrew D. 33.49 seconds, and me, as a judge with no warm-up or chalk, held it for around 20 seconds. It was not a "hard 3".

Ah...the controversy about hard and easy #3's...haha well, I must say, Kody was aiming for a minute, and he is quite capable of doing just that. Bad day or hard gripper? It really makes that last Russian WR attempt, done woth so much ease a bit odd, doesn't it. (Dmitriy ....can't recall last name)

Edited by Geralt

Back on the challenge/proposal/question, it appears there are exactly zero posters who would like to see the gripper level on the Silver Bullet changed to a Number 4 gripper to weed out the weak.

Not my words, just repeating what was in the IM news thread, and combing through the comments here.

It could be a different event for the very elite (3.5 closers and up?) or perhaps try the 3.5 first, but that doesn't make those attempting it with a #3 weak by any means. This seems to be more of an endurance challenge anyway. You can do it with a no 1 and hold it for 5 minutes if you can. It sounds like Eklund did only 15 sec with the # 3 a few years back, did he consider himself weak back then?Were there a lot of competitors trying this at the LA expo? I can understand him saying that if there were too many people trying this and couldn't hold it for more than 2-3 seconds making the process long. But otherwise the comment doesn't make much sense. Perhaps someone can reach out to him to clarify here. I wouldn't mind asking him about it if I knew his contact info.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos