New To The Collection - A Rare Blue Blob!

Jedd Johnson

Check out the recent new addition to my ever expanding collection of Blobs and Block Weights - a legit Blue Blob!

• Like 2

Awesome Blob! Does anyone know what years these were made? Also what year did they stop making the Fatman?

Awesome Blob! Does anyone know what years these were made? Also what year did they stop making the Fatman?

The only person I know of who would know this stuff is Richard Sorin. Pretty much all of my knowledge of the Blob types has been gleaned from RIchards posts and from talking with him, but I can't remember any specific years.

• Like 1

I think the Blues came in early 1990s. It was, I believe a way to clean up the old time rounded lines and boost the color to be more attractive to a retail market. I think very few were made. I do know the Blue as a dumbbell did not have a thin 1 1/10" inch diameter handle like the Fatman but like the first generation blobs ,had no USA marking( might have been early outsourcing to China) the handle on the Blue should have a thicker 1 1/8" handle like the generation 2.

I think they had the least convex profile of all blobs therefor might be easiest to lift. My Blue has full paint, the other half years ago was sent to Scott Safe and then given to " a strong kid" named Wade Gillingham . He thought the color was a joke or super slick paint so sadly he sanded it off and repainted it. Not sure if Wade still has that one. They were the original Blues Brothers!

• Like 3

Not quite...Scott Safe still has that blob. We called it "Grease Paint" because it was so slick. It's still got Richards signature on it at least the last time I saw it. Another of Richards originals went to Randy Strossen. A few years back our GNC blob was lost in transit and Randy was kind enough to overnight his blue blob to the Olympia expo. Lifting that beast all weekend was quite a treat. I swear it weighed at least 55lbs and was fat as hell.

Wade

• Like 1