Feedback About Flask Event At Southern Squeeze

John McCarter

If Gil made the Flask adjustable it would still be cheaper than a euro.

When I said it was a standard I should of elaborated more on my end, I think I kinda of turned the thread into a euro vs flask debate. Which I didn't mean to happen. Am I impressed with the flask? Yes!! Do I think it could replace the euro as the be all device? That remains to be seen. People are set in their ways and have an idea in their head and stick with it. I firmly believe that the flask sets a new standard in devices of its type with its construction and ease of use among many other things. I like it because of those things, plus I could give a crap about width. At the end of the day the goal is to test that particular feat of strength which I think the flask does well.

• Like 1

Fair enough McCarter. I just thought your choice of words was a little out of place in your previous comment. But I now understand the point you were making.

• Like 1

I waited to see the overall consensus on the flask before responding. I noticed it was very well-received, particularly as a tool to make the sport more inclusive for women and children as well as to reduce the length of contests. There has been some discussion re: me having an off-day too, which is obvious when you compare my #s/performances from contests and witnessed lifts, etc. I won't go into great detail about why I was off other than the skin issue mentioned in the next paragraph-and only because it is directly related to my feelings re: the Flask. If you want more details re: why I was "off", you can PM me. Everyone in all sports has a clunker of a day at some point. Several others lifted more than me on the same day with the same equipment and the same rules, they all beat me fair and square.

My experience was that I could feel very little texture on the Flask or the V-bar for that matter and most anything else that day. For some reason, probably due to a characteristic of my skin, perhaps dryness, I'll have a day at least once a month where everything feels "dusty" or slippery no matter if I use chalk or wash my hands before lifting. Part of my instinctive training would be to jettison my plans to do any friction-related work that day and do something else. This has never happened on the day of a contest. It didn't really sink in until I missed a weight on v-bar that would be typically my last warm-up in practice if I was going for a max, in other words, an easy opener. As a result, imagine the nightmare if you were in a comp and the chalk felt like baby powder, washing hands didn't help and the harder you squeezed, the more things slipped. I would have been more conservative in my jumps, especially on v-bar, if I would have been smart enough to figure this out earlier.

So, as far as the Flask itself, I would have to train with it awhile to give a better assessment of it. Technique-wise on the day of the contest, my main error was treating it like a Euro or plates that can cut the thumb web; I did not clamp all the way down on it out of habit, I guess. I still think on a good/great day my performance would be far less than any Euro or decent pair of pinching plates I've tried, as the surface felt more like hammertone paint, which I do not like pinching on, as the effect is more like pinching a watermelon seed. I would probably lift a similar amount to what I did on the Flask with a loading pin attached to an unopened ream of copy paper, which would be another texture I do not like.

Perhaps it was just my skin on that particular day, but I didn't feel any grittiness on the Flask at all nor am I skilled enough with chalk to make it feel the way I want, not yet anyway. I don't expect the implement to feel like it has huge salt crystals, coral or barnacles on the surface, but prefer something that feels like most all comp Euros I've tried-in other words, chalk is lightly applied to a very-well textured surface in order to give a slightly better feel, rather than rubbing in chalk to create the feel. I am certainly in the minority in the competing group as I only heard one other competitor say they didn't like the texture at all. I think someone whose hands sweat more, like Kody or Chris Rice, would really like the Flask.

I would need more time with a Flask to decide if it had much of a correlation with the Euro or simply reduced the dispersion of scores and created more randomness overall due to the texture and lesser weights used by some. The only criticism I haven't heard brought up outside of my training group was that there seemed to be a little bit of slack at the beginning of an attempt before the Flask got airborne, which we found a little distracting, kind of like when you DL on an Oly bar with plates that are too loose and you need to remember to get the slack out before really committing to the attempt. The magnetic device that was attached to the Flask and v-bar was very innovative and cool!

One weird thing that was learned is that I have the same emotional and kinesthetic attachment to a Euro as a skill-position football player does to the ball. If you handed a completely differently-composed ball to the player, I think you'd get a similar negative reaction from some whether the ball was a "nerf ball" or made from platinum, it just isn't their sport's implement anymore. Using a radically different device and type of metal than I'm used to just feels wrong.

So, I think the Flask is useful, but don't think it will completely replace the Euro, and Gil has made it clear this is not his intent. I agree that something needs to be done for women and children interested in grip, and the Flask seems good for that. As far as saving time, most contests I've been in have lasted almost exactly the same time overall as the Southern Squeeze. I highly recommend Gil and Maria as promoters and makers of equipment and will attend the Southern Squeeze again and fight that Tennessee gravity and my nemesis, the Flask!

• Like 6

Received my Flask in the mail this morning and had a chance to play around with it this afternoon. First off, I'll say that it's a beautiful piece of equipment. The top edges are rounded very evenly and provide a nice smooth surface that most definitely will not cause skin tearing. The front and back gripping surfaces of the Flask have a very slight texture to them that kind of reminds me of the way oak looks when you sand it with 100 grit paper on a jitterbug palm sander and you end up with light oscillation marks in the wood when you're finished. In other words, the Flask is not completely smooth, but it doesn't have a gritty surface either. As far as my actual lifts on it, I can definitely pull more on my Euro setup. I can usually get 5-6 reps with 200 on my Euro, but 200 was glued tight to the floor on the Flask. I'm thinking with a bit of training on the Flask, my numbers will certainly go up. The other reason for possibly lifting less weight could be because I normally pinch at 54 mm and the Flask is 58 mm. All in all, with its compact design, ultra light weight and modest price, I would give the Flask a five star rating.

• Like 5

I used the flask in the contest and was very happy with the way it felt. I would welcome using it in future contests.

I plan on buying the flask as soon as I have the extra money. I just moved into an apartment this past year ( I bought a co-op) and I don't have the space for my euro so the euro had to stay at my parents house. I'm using a 2 inch pinch block at the moment. I like that the flask will be easy for me to take to the gym. Luckily I pinch at 58mm anyway so its perfect for me. I'll give me thoughts as soon as I try it.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Gil, do you plan on making, perhaps, 2 other widths of flask for competition's sake?

I'm not sure, to be honest. I have done a lot of thinking about what direction I want it to go and there is much thinking still that I have to do. In the meantime, I will keep building the 2.25" and hoping that it helps people of all sizes get stronger.

I plan on buying the flask as soon as I have the extra money. I just moved into an apartment this past year ( I bought a co-op) and I don't have the space for my euro so the euro had to stay at my parents house. I'm using a 2 inch pinch block at the moment. I like that the flask will be easy for me to take to the gym. Luckily I pinch at 58mm anyway so its perfect for me. I'll give me thoughts as soon as I try it.

Are you not allowed to take the Euro to the gym or just don't want to carry it in?

I think you may have to become a sponsor with all this intrest!

• Like 1

Are you not allowed to take the Euro to the gym or just don't want to carry it in?

I use two gyms. one at my job which is empty on the weekends and no one watches it. I have the key so no one can say anything but ya I don't want to carry the euro back and forth. My other gym is a traditional commercial gym which is packed so I wouldn't want to bring the euro there even though they may let me.

My place is still under renovation (It will finally be done in like 2 months) and I don't have room for the euro so its at my parents house.

Edited by Chez

I received mine on weds....I like it, very wel made....great texture, holds chalk very well. The rounded edges makes it very "comfortable" for the web of my thumb lol..I use it on my ironmind Olympic loading pin. You can add or remove plates very easily....just pull pin, slide flask off, add plate, slide flask on and insert pin...its just that fast....It doesn't flip or flop around....stays upright in a fixed position and the height is adjustable....the only negative I can say about it (if it's even a negative?) is that there is some "slack" when first lifting up on the flask ...no big deal really and easily compensated for.

Edited by Dreadnought

Same thing... If the Flask uses a ball lock pin, clevis pin or wire pin etc, the grommet goes into the drilled height location hole (Pin hole) of the Flask. The lock pin then goes thru the grommet :)

Edited by zcor

I think the slack would be in the eyelet of the loading pin.

This right here. The slack comes from the loading pin your using.

would it be then that the height location hole is larger in diameter than the lock pin diameter? And therefore the slack can be tighten up by using the proper sized grommet? or no?

Edited by zcor

would it be then that the height location hole is larger in diameter than the lock pin diameter? And therefore the slack can be tighten up by using the proper sized grommet? or no?

The grommet would have to be placed into the hole in the loading pin. I could make a specialized loading pin that has smaller diameter hole to take out the slack, if someone really wanted it.

The grommet would have to be placed into the hole in the loading pin. I could make a specialized loading pin that has smaller diameter hole to take out the slack, if someone really wanted it.

Aww' we were just throwing table talk out there :) . You know, just jawing...Sounds like it is not a big deal anyway. I myself would not mess with a little slack ;)

Edited by zcor

I just now found pics of the Flask. It appears you would have to have a square weight plate pin with tight fit tolerance to go up in there and have no slack. Holes down the side to match up with the holes of the Flask.

Acromegaman and Jared are correct...99% of the slack comes from the loading pin....the height adjusting pin holes are only slightly larger then the diameter of the actual pin

It really is no big deal....a great grip tool....and very well made

Dave

P.s. I noticed you stamped it with a serial # ...cool...mine is number 5

Edited by Dreadnought

My point was to have a way to eliminate the slack. Irregardless of what the origin is of the slack

Edited by zcor