Grade 5 Bolt Question

GrassMaine89

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the type of bolt in this video (tried to figure out how to take a picture of the bolt from the video but couldn't). The bolt is 5/16 x 7 grade 5, it has a triangle on the head, but is black in color. I'm trying to figure out my next drill rod order and am trying to base that off of the estimated strength of this bolt. In videos in which people bend Edgins they are shiny, this bolt is black. 8:10 of the video shows the head of the bolt pretty well.

Edited by GrassMaine89

Looking at the AZ Grip Steel Progression List they had one rate at 585 lbs. There is also many different sizes of Drill Rod that have been rated on there as well which should give you enough info depending on if you are looking for something stronger or weaker than what that bolt might have possibly been.

http://az-grip.com/calibration.php

• Like 1

I'm really looking to bridge the gap to the KOAB...so I was thinking like p q and r drill rid...but I want to buy more of the drill rod that will be the best working weight...that's why the weight of the bolt will help me decide...but they have a few 5/16 grade 5 bolts on the steel progression...thanks for the reply

• Like 1

Have you wrapped up a KOAB yet and given it a shot?

Ya I wobbled it...I'm hoping it will move more each workout but we will see

• Like 1

Very nice. A lot of people say that 11/32 drill rod is like a tough 5/16 G5 but with a much worse crush but I've never bent it myself. Good advice to look at the calibration results on Aaron's site.

Very nice. A lot of people say that 11/32 drill rod is like a tough 5/16 G5 but with a much worse crush but I've never bent it myself. Good advice to look at the calibration results on Aaron's site.

I hadn't thought of 11/32 drill rod, thanks. I have the calibration list bookmarked and reference it a lot. I guess I was getting too hung up on the different results of grade 5 bolts. At this point I think I will just get some different drill rod and see what happens.

• Like 1