Smashing A Potato

buckdicky

Hello everyone... I just registered to the board and im just starting to get into the whole grip strength world.. Being new to gripping i dont know all the feats of strength but my question is how strong would one need to be to crush a potato about average size...And has it ever been done?

jon

Well John Brookfield can crush one... so I guess you need pretty strong hands.

Robert Baraban told me that Nallan Holle can crush one now. He said it took him a while to get that mind over matter thing down. :blink

Buckdicky,

After reading about that feat in Brookfield's book I set it in my mind as one of my grip goals. To date, I have only split potatoes in half several times by driving my fingers through the spud. I'm hoping with another year or two of serious grip training under my belt that I will be able to complete the feat.

Jon@han

It seems like I remember a member that used to post on this board a long time ago, David "Gorilla Hands" Erives, wrote a little tidbit about crushing potatoes with several pictures of him in the different stages of the process. I remember him talking about doing fingertip pushups on a hard surface to condition/desensitize his fingertips for the feat.

Elias

Guest gripmaster316

I have seen a picture of Gorilla Hands, and he is a big guy. Doing finger tip pushups when you are 200 plus pounds is very difficult but can be very rewarding.

Edited by gripmaster316

BTW, whatever happened to Gorilla Hands? He used to be a frequent poster here in the GripBoard... but not anymore.

I got an e-mail from him near the end of last year. He's not really training grip so much anymore. Devoting a lot of his time to music and a band he plays in. When he was training, though, he was very strong, if I recall. ;)