What's Bad For What?

Dagars

Grip folk,

I get why some grip equipment/exercises have no crossover benefit to other grip equipment/exercises - slightly different muscles and or tendons used.etc.

What I don't understand is why some equipment has a negative impact on others? For example, I have started to train with some blockweights and my gripper work strength has dropped off? Surely stronger is stronger!!

Is this a common thing and if it is why?

Also, are there any types of training that are known to be particularly detrimental to others?

Cheers

Question 1: Is it common....don't know....possibly.

Question 2: Detrimental training....In my experience bending destroys my ability to close grippers...this definitely doesn't ring true for everyone but certainly for some. I've never had thickbar, pinch or grippers affect each others overall absolute strength, but if attempted consecutively in a workout they most definitely affect each other.

So for me, just bending tends to be detrimental, but only for grippers...it doesn't appear to affect my other lifts.

Yes that's what happens. Takes great training skill to find methods that carry over across the board. When I was hauling up 216 on the ironmind anvil I was struggling with thickbar and grippers. Now I doubt I could get 180 on the anvil but I can CCS a mid range 3, which I was miles from when I was doing lotsa vbar/anvil. Blobs kill the open hand tendons so when you mix in grippers the tendons are fried unless you leave them alone for a few days. Thin pinch for me seems to help all areas of grip and address imbalances. I would say its my "rescue me from the plateau" cuz most of my highlight PRs happened during I time I was thin pinching more often.

• Like 1

Good question Dagars as I've often wondered myself!

I agree with Frank regarding bending as it does impact your recovery quite a bit. You have to find a balance imo if you want all around grip strength. Work axle- thickbar, pinch, grippers & mix in some sledgehammer -wrist work for all around strength. You may have to specialize temporary, to accomplish a specific grip goal. However, try to maintain your general grip strength, being careful not to create imbalances in your strength & potential injuries.

Good luck bud!

• Like 1

Good question Dagars as I've often wondered myself!

I agree with Frank regarding bending as it does impact your recovery quite a bit. You have to find a balance imo if you want all around grip strength. Work axle- thickbar, pinch, grippers & mix in some sledgehammer -wrist work for all around strength. You may have to specialize temporary, to accomplish a specific grip goal. However, try to maintain your general grip strength, being careful not to create imbalances in your strength & potential injuries.

Good luck bud!

Thanks all - some really good info and advice here - much appreciated

Nothing is bad for anything "in the long run". Certainly some things will effect others from day to day and week to week - but getting stronger "here" will help "there" after a period of recovery and a return to the skill and adaptation of whatever is next.

• Like 2

Well said Chris- makes alot sense...as usual sir!