Magnets

layla

I chopped the end of a hex dumbbell off a while back and now I need heavier, i had a thought that if there are magnets that are strong enough that I would just add a plate to it. Can anyone give me a link to such magnets if they exist

Haven't done it yet, but I have a bunch of hard drive magnets and I plan to attach stuff to them. Some sort of small plastic container (maybe pill bottles) with steel shot in them so I can get exact weights. But that's for a blob that I don't want to mess up.

I'd suggest you slap some big c clamps on there first.

Rare earth magnets are plenty strong enough to do so...Jedd and I used them all the time and can add up to 10lb plates using 2- 1" square magnets

• Like 1

Josh Dale used the rare earth magnets, if I remember right. They can be very dangerous though. No joke.

Josh Dale used the rare earth magnets, if I remember right. They can be very dangerous though. No joke.

Like... How so? You've got me curious!

The larger rare earth magnets are the sketchy ones!... when they attract towards something metal or another rare earth magnet they carry enough force to smash fingers /shear skin etc...I have 2x 1" spherical rare earth magnets and was demonstrating how much power they have by placing one on the outside of my forearm and one on the inside and rolling them up and down my lower arm...made the mistake of getting too close to the other one and it snapped onto the other magnet with my skin in between them...pinched the skin right off in a split second...happened so fast i didnt even know i got cut till i saw the blood running down my arm...They give you a safety notice when you purchase them...they are not joking when they say use caution!! lol...+1 for The smaller ones... would be ideal for hanging plates and theres quite a few vendors online that have them.

• Like 2

I had two really big ones like 2"x2" cylinders both producing like 170ish lbs of pull snap together with the webbing of my thumb between them. Don't buy, own, or think about a magnet that strong you will hurt yourself.

• Like 2

I had two really big ones like 2"x2" cylinders both producing like 170ish lbs of pull snap together with the webbing of my thumb between them. Don't buy, own, or think about a magnet that strong you will hurt yourself.

That.....would ......hurt!

• Like 1

I have one that's 2"x1"x1.5" that I use to bypass Kaba Ilco push button locks, it pulls at about 100lbs. I've never hurt myself, but then again I am cautious. I'd agree if you don't have a specific need for it, it maybe best to avoid such things. I use the tiny buggers (3/8" x 1/10") to hold my set blocks together and thumbscrews together so I don't lose shit. Even the 3/4" x 1/8" should be able to hold somewhere in the 20lb range.

Even the small ones can snap together so fast they shatter and shoot off little slivers.

• Like 1

I chopped the end of a hex dumbbell off a while back and now I need heavier, i had a thought that if there are magnets that are strong enough that I would just add a plate to it. Can anyone give me a link to such magnets if they exist

I will PM you some magnet that I think will fit your need. :grin:

I've messed around with this a fair amount. Contrary to the picture I show, it's better to get one larger magnet than several smaller ones.

I finally settled on a 2"x1"x1/4" (there abouts) as being the most bang for my buck. I can literally lift a 60lb dumbbell with my homemade platemate with no issues whatsoever...so microloading is completely safe (I have used them for microloading my dumbbells to reach another plateau). These are also great for adding weight to a pair of plates you are pinching. Want to go from 35x45's?

I like using the half hex heads for added weight because you they take up very little room and you can use a single magnet in the middle opposed to a double on a plate (avoiding the hole). Two things...

1. SHOP AROUND!!! You will find that plenty of places charge 4x10!!! times the amount for the exact same magnets. I don't know who currently has the best deals.

2. Do not drop them/move them on and off carefully! While some of them are tougher than others...in general they are somewhat brittle and don't tolerate direct impact. (they will shatter)

Here's a pic of my first generation homemade magweights (use the single larger magnets now).

magweights_zpsspgdzrgi.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've messed around with this a fair amount. Contrary to the picture I show, it's better to get one larger magnet than several smaller ones.

I finally settled on a 2"x1"x1/4" (there abouts) as being the most bang for my buck. I can literally lift a 60lb dumbbell with my homemade platemate with no issues whatsoever...so microloading is completely safe (I have used them for microloading my dumbbells to reach another plateau). These are also great for adding weight to a pair of plates you are pinching. Want to go from 35x45's?

I like using the half hex heads for added weight because you they take up very little room and you can use a single magnet in the middle opposed to a double on a plate (avoiding the hole). Two things...

1. SHOP AROUND!!! You will find that plenty of places charge 4x10!!! times the amount for the exact same magnets. I don't know who currently has the best deals.

2. Do not drop them/move them on and off carefully! While some of them are tougher than others...in general they are somewhat brittle and don't tolerate direct impact. (they will shatter)

Here's a pic of my first generation homemade magweights (use the single larger magnets now).

magweights_zpsspgdzrgi.jpg

You can tape the magnets with athletic tape to reduce the chance of it breaking and being brittle, if it does break it will still be inside the tape and work fine. Jedd has 1 that is like that and we still use it. I definitely agree that you have to be careful when using them but then again skin grows back.

• Like 2

Ha. It's not the skin...it's the wallet. They are not cheap. ;)

Cool idea about the tape!