Average Number Of Levels

avasatu

Do you think there is an average number of CoC levels (counting .5 gaps) one increases from their untrained max gripper to reach his/her genetic potential?

For example, of my starting max gripper was, say, the 1, what is the likely genetic maximum, if any? I've been wondering about this. My guess is 3-4 levels up, more likely 3 and some change.

My opinion:

Most men, with dedicated training, have the ability/potential to close a 2

Many many men have the same to close a 3

The Number 4 takes something only a select few have

There are a number of top guys who started out at or below COC 1 level and are now 3.5 and up. I believe Paul Savage mentioned this, if I'm incorrect let me know. Others, like me, could close a 2 from the beginning and took just over a year to close a 3, yet haven't gotten to the 3.5 here three years later. It all depends on your training focus and your overall strength potential.

There are a number of top guys who started out at or below COC 1 level and are now 3.5 and up. I believe Paul Savage mentioned this, if I'm incorrect let me know. Others, like me, could close a 2 from the beginning and took just over a year to close a 3, yet haven't gotten to the 3.5 here three years later. It all depends on your training focus and your overall strength potential.

Yep, most i could do was a trainer

• Like 2

Paul Savage, when you first started, were you an experienced weightlifter?

I had been lifting weights for a few years, pretty sure i was 18 when i first started grip training and i was 15 when i first started lifting weights.

Genetically speaking, some people start off good at a trait, some OK and some crappy, some are high responders to training and some OK and some don't respond much, people are a mixture of both categories. Also playing into that is the desire and will to train. Too many people have overcame too much to even attempt to define what is possible from start to finish. There are too many variables, the nature/nurture aspect of physical ability is intertwined to a degree that makes it inseparable

I'm sure there is an average number, that's a matter of statistics, we would never find it as there is no way to know if someone reached their genetic potential and genetic potential only tells part of the story. I'm sure there are a large number of people with athletic potential out there who just never got off of the couch. Your genetic potential also wouldn't be directly linear to someone else's. It's things like this that I tell people to stop worrying about, your genetic potential doesn't matter. Sure we could test every sprinter for the limited number of genes we know impact performance (we don't know them all, not even close nor all the interplay between them and the rest) but all that might tell us is things we see from observation once partially trained anyhow.

There will not and could not be a way to accurately guess how far a new trainee will progress. Too many variables at play, many of which are unknown.

Edited by HandsMcHanderson
  • Like 1

I was more just wondering if you guys were aware of such a thing out of pure curiosity. I don't give two craps what my potential is I will always try to surpass it.

I was more just wondering if you guys were aware of such a thing out of pure curiosity. I don't give two craps what my potential is I will always try to surpass it.

Just train and go from there :sorcerer:

Then Post #6 is your answer.

• Like 1