Grip Sport For Females

Evan Raftopoulos

I think she's got me on RT

:tongue

she did better with the 2" crusher, she is pretty light she lifted maybe 2/3 of her bw if not more. Maybe 2" thickbar feels better to most females. She was also able to do pullups on fatgripz easy! She'll probably like those 2"purple iron bull grips I just ordered from you. :)

• 4 weeks later...

my friend closed the trainer yesterday , the left-turn is rated 56 the second one 58, I think the handles touched at ~sec11, got her permission to post

• Like 1

I have had climbers of all levels try my grippers - some very very good climbers are unable to close even my easier #1. Grippers are very much a "skill" which has to be trained to do well. Strength is highly specific as to task. Reverse things and take your average GripBoard #2 closer climbing and see how things go.

• Like 1

I agree with the 'skill' aspect but only up to a certain point. I have trained with grippers on a regular basis since 2001 or thereabouts and the only thing preventing me from closing, say, a #3.5 is lack of 'crushing' strength. Not lack of technique but simply not being strong enough in this movement. People 'badmouthing' grippers are invariably those that have found they do better in other aspects of grip.

I have had climbers of all levels try my grippers - some very very good climbers are unable to close even my easier #1. Grippers are very much a "skill" which has to be trained to do well. Strength is highly specific as to task. Reverse things and take your average GripBoard #2 closer climbing and see how things go.

People 'badmouthing' grippers are invariably those that have found they do better in other aspects of grip

Yep I don't like grippers but I know the results of personally handing grippers to lots more climbers than I imagine you have ever seen - and I know the results. I've done 156# with a block and 195# in a choker set at parallel - lack of "strength" or "skill" in setting?

Edited by climber511

The good climbers have good hand strength for their body weight, and climbing skill. Maybe not when it comes to crushing strength.

there is definitely a sweet spot for an individual's hand when it comes to grippers, but most I've given good set tips to, still couldn't close the gripper...just didn't have the strength.

Cris, you make it sound like a trick...closing a gripper. Give a little love for the grippers, man!

The good climbers have good hand strength for their body weight, and climbing skill. Maybe not when it comes to crushing strength.

there is definitely a sweet spot for an individual's hand when it comes to grippers, but most I've given good set tips to, still couldn't close the gripper...just didn't have the strength.

Cris, you make it sound like a trick...closing a gripper. Give a little love for the grippers, man!

What an experienced gripper guy does with a torsion spring gripper when compared to what a person who is handed a gripper for the first time is nothing alike at all. It's not a "trick" but it is certainly a "technique" that has to be learned and practiced for it to help as much as some people are able to get. Of course it takes strength but "setting" to advantage a gripper takes a lot of practice. I don't think handing someone a gripper for the first time is a test of their crushing strength in a meaningful way - just my thoughts.

It takes a lot of practice for climbing skills as well...and their skills from practice has made you think their crush was there, but wasn't.

You said an avg. no.2 closer here on the board, would be a different story climbing. So that strength doesn't count for anything? But the skilled climber fails to close the no.1, so it must be technique?

Sorry I'm just puttzing around.

I think that's what I said - they are skills. Being a climber no more makes you a good gripper closer than the reverse does. Strength is specific and its expression is dependent on skill level.

Edited by climber511

I think it really depends on the individual but with climbing you are not used to squeezing things like with closing grippers, so even though a climber has good overall grip strength it's not specialized for closing grippers. However, a climber that starts training with grippers can move up relatively fast IMO and talking from personal experience training with grippers also helps one move up with climbing.

• Like 1

physiologically speaking, it could be that the muscle strength is there but the nervous system is not used to firing in such a way as crushing things, especially those last 5 milliliters. I think you can be a very good climber without needing to be strong in that range of motion.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

How much 'skill' does it takes to excel at wide pinch lifting?

The level of 'technique' required to optimally close a gripper is miniscule compared with eg what is required for a perfect snatch in Olympic lifting.

I think that's what I said - they are skills. Being a climber no more makes you a good gripper closer than the reverse does. Strength is specific and its expression is dependent on skill level.

I think grippers are very straight forward, not very much technique, mostly just pure strength, more so than most other sports. With that said, some people definitely has genetic advantages, same as with everything else.

People 'badmouthing' grippers are invariably those that have found they do better in other aspects of grip

Yep I don't like grippers but I know the results of personally handing grippers to lots more climbers than I imagine you have ever seen - and I know the results. I've done 156# with a block and 195# in a choker set at parallel - lack of "strength" or "skill" in setting?

I would say it's lack of strength yes. If you can set a 156 lb gripper so that you can close it the reason you can't do the same with a 195 lb gripper is because of lack of strength. Setting strength.

You need to be strong in the whole range of movement with grippers and thats whats so difficult, thats why no one has certed the #4 with CCS yet. It's not because their technique is bad, it's because no one has proven to be strong enough.