What Is Exactly Is A Tns?

jchapman

I am confused about the definition of TNS. I thought it meant Table No Set, and that only the closing hand touches the gripper from the time it is picked up off the table until the close is complete. Is this not the case?

that's the case but I think TNS is also used sometimes to imply 'no set' in general, TNS is more established abbreviation than saying NS (no set)

• Like 1

That's the original abbreviation and definition. It's come to mean "any close where there is no off-hand setting involved".

Sometimes you just have to close a gripper, and there are no tables around. Since the table wasn't going to help you anyways in closing, I don't think it's against the spirit to call that a TNS as well.

• Like 4

That's the original abbreviation and definition. It's come to mean "any close where there is no off-hand setting involved".

Sometimes you just have to close a gripper, and there are no tables around. Since the table wasn't going to help you anyways in closing, I don't think it's against the spirit to call that a TNS as well.

I totally agree with this. I never really understood how the table was invovled except possibly that when Tetting was doing his "no set" certifications where he would actually make you a gripper for the cert I think those rules had you begin with the gripper sitting on a table.

I guess I would add no bodily contact of any kind - just to avoid pushing on your leg or whatever.

Right, the table doesn't help, but the use of the off hand to position the gripper may help with the close.

I think we all pretty much agree here. A TNS is where no setting is done, be it via off hand, body or foreign object. Only the active gripping hand is involved in the setting/close in any way. The moment something else besides the active gripping hand gets involved in positioning or closing it is no longer TNS. If you have no table around, simply holding the gripper up with the off hand and then taking it with the gripping hand and positioning it with only the gripping hand having let go with off hand as Euclides did is still a TNS as the off hand was not involved in the setting or closing of the gripper, it acted in much the same way a table would. If anyone sees it differently it's news to me.

• Like 1

Based on my memory of previous board discussions, the TNS term originated out of a whole “I can close my #3 (with a really deep set . . . .er, . .oops forgot to mention or imply that)” banter. The implication of being able to TNS a gripper (ie. just pick it with the closing hand and close it) were that irrespective of how hard it was or what generation it was you were clearly strong enough to close that model of gripper under “normal” (of the time) cert conditions.

At the time the term originated there were no x.5 COCs and only BB grippers (maybe RBs as well. . .a bit hazy there) and I believe it also predates Dave and Greg’s RGC calibration “revolution”.

Personally, I still consider TNS to refer to simply picking up the gripper and using only your closing hand to position it before squeezing. Others are of course entitled to their 2 cents but putting feathers on horse doesn’t necessarily make it a chicken (sorry – I’ve been itching to use that saying since last week).

Dave

• Like 2

TNS to me just means not using the other hand to assist in setting the gripper. This (in my opinion) also means not letting the non-gripping hand "place" the gripper in the gripping hand. Because even if the assisting hand does not pull the handles closer together, the act of placing the gripper in the hand in an advantageous location is significant assistance.

• Like 2

Gripboard Terminology;

NS = No Set (free hand can be used to position gripper in hand but cannot help with closing of gripper.)
TNS = Table No Set (gripper is picked up from table with one hand and closed. Free hand does not touch gripper at all.)

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=19647#entry244322

• Like 2

Gripboard Terminology;

NS = No Set (free hand can be used to position gripper in hand but cannot help with closing of gripper.)

TNS = Table No Set (gripper is picked up from table with one hand and closed. Free hand does not touch gripper at all.)

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=19647#entry244322

I agree with these definitions.

What separates TNS from NS is the mental barrier of overcoming the will to touch the gripper with other hand and instead using only gripper closing hands dexterity to place the gripper in closing position.

Table here means flat surface where you have to pick up the gripper with your finger tips and work the gripper to closing position with only using your closing hand.

Practically with TNS it's a mental thing one has to overcome and not about if one is strong enough to no set close a certain gripper.

• Like 1

I think it's slightly harder to do the true off the table with only the closing hand than it is to just even place the gripper with the other hand but with that said I really don't care lol.

I've done both ways for reference

TNS to me just means not using the other hand to assist in setting the gripper. This (in my opinion) also means not letting the non-gripping hand "place" the gripper in the gripping hand. Because even if the assisting hand does not pull the handles closer together, the act of placing the gripper in the hand in an advantageous location is significant assistance.

I agree with this. There is definitely an advantage of putting the gripper in the "Sweet Spot" (further up the hand so the pinky is partially off the handle etc.) placing it in the crushing hand with the off hand. Without this placement you have to rely on hand coordination etc. and never get it in the exact right spot so you loose leverage.

When going for a complete max effort everything little thing is important and can be the difference between succeeding and failing.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

There seems to be a feeling that the making of a feat easier - no matter how small that difference is - is OK. I disagree - In this case the difference may be small but it does exist - a Table No Set means just what it says - and a No Set close is something different. There exists a sort of difficulty scale that follows the below

TNS

NS

Generic set - carefully placing the gripper in the sweet spot with the off hand but not really advancing the handles much

CCS

Parallel Set

Block Set

Any darn thing you can get away with set (close it with both hands - your chest - your leg whatever - and then open and use skin stretch etc to help you)

Chokered set

You can fool yourself into thinking it doesn't matter but only to the point where you actually have to do each one in a competitive setting

• Like 2

Since this topic was probably started in reference to the TNS video by Euclides (or whichever of his dozen nicknames he's calling himself this month) I will say that he closed that gripper no set, with plenty of strength to do it in whatever style was required. TNS wouldn't give him any trouble. I didn't vote on the video, but if I had I would not have passed it even though he was able to grind the gripper at the close. The other hand didn't (in my opinion) necessarily give a big ASSIST with the close. But it was not an uninterrupted (only the gripping hand) pick up and close. The other thing that would've given me pause is how close his arm was to the wood surface. I don't believe that his arm touched the surface (which would provide bracing, making the close easier), but the angle was close.

There seems to be a feeling that the making of a feat easier - no matter how small that difference is - is OK. I disagree - In this case the difference may be small but it does exist - a Table No Set means just what it says - and a No Set close is something different. There exists a sort of difficulty scale that follows the below

TNS

NS

Generic set - carefully placing the gripper in the sweet spot with the off hand but not really advancing the handles much

CCS

Parallel Set

Block Set

Any darn thing you can get away with set (close it with both hands - your chest - your leg whatever - and then open and use skin stretch etc to help you)

Chokered set

You can fool yourself into thinking it doesn't matter but only to the point where you actually have to do each one in a competitive setting

Well said, Chris!

I'm also a complete stickler for rules. First thing I thought about when I reviewed this video of my double #3 TNS close: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=43648was that the grippers went out of frame for a little bit but this is extremely hard to get on video and my camera person did the best anyone could.This was like the 3rd take of the day and I had nothing left after this one.

I scrutinize my own videos very hard as I do all videos since I believe the rules help keep the integrity of the feat.

• Like 2

I think reading previous posts makes it clear what a TNS is technically.

I'd like to bring this topic even more deeper level and a bit philosophical. So these are just my own thoughts and personal opinions.

TNS is where closing grippers becomes closer to art of performance. "Look! Hand behind my back!"

TNS is supposed to look effortless, pretty casual and where one showcases total dominance of a gripper.

TNS is where one can use a little bit of showmanship.

It does take practice.

There's all kind of ways to make closing a gripper more challenging ones one has strength to no set close a gripper.

How about throwing a gripper in the air, catching it and immediately closing it? :mosher Or throwing an unopened packaged gripper in the air, catching it and closing it? :bow

TNS is where closing grippers has some reminiscence of oldtime strongman feats. Those feats were performed for audience. Respect.

You can take this logic to an extent point though. Such as, did you place the gripper on the table? If so you may have placed it advantageously as far as having a good position to pick it up from. Is it only truly a TNS if a neutral, unknowing third party places the gripper on a table in a truly random fashion?

Also, is anything really random?

• Like 1