Fastest Way To Move Up On Grippers

Blackdog

Hi.... I feel my supporting grip and pinch grip is moving up at a good clip.

Question: What routines do you feel will help you move up on grippers the fastest? My time allows gripper training twice a week

hey man, I don't know about the fastest but this is what I migh start doing now

one workout reps with lighter grippers in full range of motion, don't worry how heavy the gripper is, just do high reps, for example a gripper that you can do 10 which is high number for grippers I think.

one workout focus more on MMS and going heavier for 1 or 2 reps, starting with lighter grippers and move up to a gripper than you can only MMS x1. Then try a goal gripper 5-10 lb heavier. You don't have to try your goal gripper every week but I it helps with monitoring your progress. Or, focus on MMS low reps with a gripper that you can do 3-4 reps

perhaps other guys more experienced than me can share what helped them to move up with grippers. Since my training has not been consistent I think I've lost about 5-10 pounds MMS but I feel I can gain it back fast with good traiing.

Good luck with your training and come to the next grip comp if you can :) it will help you stay motivated!

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

Fastest way is to be careful with your hands after grip training. I have some sort of pulley problem in my index finger from pulling weeds when I was still sore. Maybe I should have warmed up first :/

Check out Jedd's cadence based training, worked wonders for me when all else failed

I completely suck with grippers and Jedds program bumped me up afew notches. Thats sayin something trust me, i have trouble with the grippers.

• Like 1

I don't think there "one best way" it totally depends on the induvidual.

For me it has been beyond the range and heavy negatives. But those are also the most risky to use, so it's advised to start slowly with it. It should definitely not be implemented for a beginner, a solid base is needed first.

Guys, thanks for the mention on CBT. Blackdog, if you have 2 days to devote to grippers, then CBT is going to be perfect for you, because it is a 2-day per week program. I think the thing that sets CBT apart from other programs is the approach to strengthen each part of the gripper technique with specific drills. Any questions, feel free to ask.

• Like 1

Program 3/4/5x3, then 3/4/5x4, then 3/4/5x5... Once you reach 5x5 bump it up to a gripper 5-10lbs heavier and start over. Progressive overload, nothing more than teaching the hands to gradually get stronger.

• Like 3

Program 3/4/5x3, then 3/4/5x4, then 3/4/5x5... Once you reach 5x5 bump it up to a gripper 5-10lbs heavier and start over. Progressive overload, nothing more than teaching the hands to gradually get stronger.

True but we can agree that certain programs are very well thought out, ie CBT. I feel like youre playing down something that took tons of work and has given great results. If not, i do apologize but sometimes ppl over simplify stuff that in reality is extremely specific and can only be improved with advanced training methods. Im very resistant to normal rep schemes, CBT gave great results, meager feats in comparison to other peaople yet, good results.

True but we can agree that certain programs are very well thought out, ie CBT. I feel like youre playing down something that took tons of work and has given great results. If not, i do apologize but sometimes ppl over simplify stuff that in reality is extremely specific and can only be improved with advanced training methods. Im very resistant to normal rep schemes, CBT gave great results, meager feats in comparison to other peaople yet, good results.

Feel whatever you'd like, wasn't meaning to downplay another program. However, many times I see newbies get started on programs that are more suited for experienced guys. Progressive overload, such as the programming I mentioned has seen me gain on grippers again when I've stagnated for 3 years. Any newbie will see progress with squeezing tough grippers in any form or fashion (of course they'll overtrain, burn out, hit a wall etc...after the quick gains). I got the program from Kody who originally got it from Andrew Durniat back when he was working a 3 cert. Unless you try the specific program and it doesn't work, you shouldn't lump it in with "normal rep schemes" as a way of marginalizing it.