The 2016 Southern Squeeze Grip Competition

Squeezus

Looks like it was an Awesome contest. With a very strong field of competitors!

Looks like it was an Awesome contest. With a very strong field of competitors!

It was. One contest to remember. I hope Gil can do this yearly.

• Like 1

Gil I saw on IG you pulled 300 on the vbar, but did you not compete in the other events?

I was too busy to compete. I only had time to do a couple lifts between events. Maybe when I get more used to coordinating I will be able to compete at The Southern Squeeze.

• Like 2

Ok guys, I uploaded some pictures that a friend sent to me and put them along with more organized results on my website. You can find it all here: http://www.barrelstrengthsystems.com/the-southern-squeeze/

I will also be updating the leaderboards for the flask.

Edited by Squeezus

I have so many awesome things to say about The Southern Squeeze! From meeting Gil and Maria... to dominating grippers with McCarter and finally meeting my Beer Crushing nemesis Jared lol... But I'm mentally drained at the moment from the connecting flights back to NJ which were delayed!

I'll have a proper write-up and video about this amazing competition after I get some rest.

Before I get some shut eye though, here is a great vid of John McCarter doing the Medley.

Edited by Euclides
  • Like 4

Nice video you can tell John was really pumped.

In the zone, John!

Thanks guys! This was the first time I ever did this and had no clue how I was going to fare. The axle I figured was going to be beyond my max but nope that sucker felt easy.

Are the exact medley feats posted anywhere yet?

150 anvil, 2x 45lb plate pinch, 25lb hub plate pinch, 4x 10lb plate pinch, Dino Egg, 20lb blob, half 100 hex and 100 blob. Baby inch, and inch. 302lb axle, stirrup finger lift, 2.5 crusher, and im style hub lift. 2x 25 lb plate pinch. Not sure the weights of stuff like that crusher and im hub. That's what I remember was in the medley,

• Like 1

150 anvil, 2x 45lb plate pinch, 25lb hub plate pinch, 4x 10lb plate pinch, Dino Egg, 20lb blob, half 100 hex and 100 blob. Baby inch, and inch. 302lb axle, stirrup finger lift, 2.5 crusher, and im style hub lift. 2x 25 lb plate pinch. Not sure the weights of stuff like that crusher and im hub. That's what I remember was in the medley,

Men's Medley was:

• 150+ Anvil
  • 2 x 45's pinch
  • 2 x 25's pinch
  • 4 x 10's pinch
  • 25 plate hub
  • 55lb IMHub
  • 102lb FBBC Crusher
  • 140lb Barrel Strength Systems Stirrup
  • 302lb Double Overhand Axle
  • 53lb Fatman Blob
  • 100 Hex Block
  • 17lb Dino Egg
  • 20lb Blob
  • 100lb FBBC Inch Trainer
  • Inch Dumbbell Replica

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I will post the women's medley items later.

I'm finally back from Nashville after the worst day of flying a person could have.

Well over all I'm rather disappointed in my performance at the Southern Squeeze, most all of my lifts came out at about 80% of my max in training and I slipped on a few attempts, but over all I did come away from it learning a lot about myself, how trained, how to plan my attempts, things I didn't need, and things ill bring next time. Also by the time I got to the medley I was pretty wiped out, I showed up at 8am to weight and by the time we got to the medley it was 4ish, and everything felt glued to the ground for me at that point, things that are easy for me typically just were not happening which was a bummer.

I learned a lot and I think my next comp will go a lot better and my numbers will be more in line with where I'm actually at.

After the comp Gil, Maria, Mr. Euclides and myself all went out for drinks which was nice.

Speaking of Euclides, I think I spent the most time with him of anyone and we shared uber rides around Nashville, I certainly doubted him in the past and had not a great opinion of him but after spending the weekend with him I can honestly say that I was wrong, he very nice and crazy strong.

Ok so flying with like 20 grippers was a pain!

Portland, OR TSA pulled me into a backroom for secondary screening where I had to unpack all of them and squeeze most of them and answer the question "What are these" like 5 times before being able to leave.

Flying back TSA in Nashville did the same thing except they pulled them out and use that bomb sniffing chemical wand thing on all of them. Then my flight got delayed like 4 hours going to Seattle due to a mechanical issues, then I missed my connection in Seattle and had to wait 2 hours, then after boarding in Seattle the pilot didn't show up so we sat on the tarmac for an hour and half till they could find a second pilot, the flight to Portland is like 35 minutes, then when we landed there was a problem with the gate...etc. so it took a long time to get off, over all my typical 5 hour trip from Nashville to Portland took 13.5 hours.

• Like 4

I guess my plan to totally ignore grippers is out of the question 😕 Overall I'm happy with my performance.

• Like 1

Men's Medley was:

• 150+ Anvil
  • 2 x 45's pinch
  • 2 x 25's pinch
  • 4 x 10's pinch
  • 25 plate hub
  • 55lb IMHub
  • 102lb FBBC Crusher
  • 140lb Barrel Strength Systems Stirrup
  • 302lb Double Overhand Axle
  • 53lb Fatman Blob
  • 100 Hex Block
  • 17lb Dino Egg
  • 20lb Blob
  • 100lb FBBC Inch Trainer
  • Inch Dumbbell Replica

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I will post the women's medley items later.

Fatman blob...that explains why I couldn't pick it up. This was the first time I have ever touched an anvil and inch dumbell, those were really cool. The medley was a lot of fun.

That's a tough medley! In my prime, I think I could get 6 of those things. Medleys have never been a good event for me :)

First time editing this much footage, hopefully you guys/gals enjoy it.

I'll upload some more footage later tonight.

Thx again to Gil and Maria for making this event so amazing! I already can't wait for the 2017 Southern Squeeze!

• Like 9

Great stuff, congrats to Gil and Maria on hosting what looks like an awesome competition, congrats to all competitors as well. Big hats off to Euclides for showing up at a comp and putting any doubters to bed.

• Like 1

Euclides, I got those same pants ! " you think anybody want's a round house to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys ? "

Congrats to all, that looks fun !

Euclides, I got those same pants ! " you think anybody want's a round house to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys ? "

Congrats to all, that looks fun !

haha, great movie!

Congratulations Euclides! Glad to see everything put to rest--no question! This looked like an awesome comp ... really wished I lived closer. Everyone looked like they had a lot of fun and put up some solid numbers!

• Like 2