First Aw Tournament

Lucasraymond

So I decided that I would venture into the AW realm this coming weekend at the First Ward Falcon Club Fall Brawl in Dunkirk, NY. So first of all the weight classes for the amateurs are 0-176, 177-199, and 200+; and weighing 205-210 on a regular I don't feel like competing with the big boys so I am attempting to loss some poundage and make it to 199 (first time in 5 years). Despite having ZERO AW experience outside of messing around with my friends I feel fairly confident that I can at least compete (R hand primarily).

So if anyone has any advice that may help...I am more than willing to listen.

Also a man with some of the strongest wrists in the world and Gold Nail Bender (in leather) may also be going (any guesses?)

You can learn a lot from this experience, make sure you are relaxed (people can be very nervous and forget what do to).

Hopefully you have been practicing on a table recently, from your profile you look very strong so wish you luck!

You can learn a lot from this experience, make sure you are relaxed (people can be very nervous and forget what do to).

Hopefully you have been practicing on a table recently, from your profile you look very strong so wish you luck!

Zero practice or experience on a table.

I was in the same boat as you on my first tournament in regards to the weight. A week prior to the tournament when i decided i was going to compete, i weighed right at 210. When looking at the weight classes i discovered that i fell into the 199-242lb class. Due to not wanting to compete with guys that heavy, i shed 13 lbs in that week so i could make the lower weight class. I actually weighed in at 197 on the day of the tournament. And i regretted every bit of it. Not only was i a total noob (still am) with no technique, and no miles on any of the tendons and ligaments that arm wrestling knows how to strain, i also felt weaker than i had in a long time. Even when i compared my strength at that time to about a year prior when i was a healthy 195, i was much weaker. It was a rough day. I got 2 and outed.

And being that it happened in the lighter weight class, losing stung that much more.

The next year, i did the same thing, at the same venue. But only this time i decided i was going to compete the day prior. I had forgot about the tournament completely until i got a text from a friend the day before the tournament. Same situation with the weight class, only this time i wasnt worried to compete a little heavier. During the year after my first tournament i got quite a bit of table time with some much heavier open class pullers (240lb+) and was more confident. I walked in that day weighing just under 210 and finished 3rd place in the amateurs, right hand. With my only losses that day being to a couple sand baggers that were also competing, and placed well, in the open class 242s.

Not only was the table time a big factor, but competing at my normal weight was an even bigger factor for me.

Im not sure if i have any solid advice for you, since im still new to arm wrestling as well, but if losing the weight starts to make you feel a tad weaker over the next few days, i would recommend to go ahead and keep the weight and pull the heavier guys at a more comfortable body weight.

Tommy I can say I normally eat whatever is in front of me so this week I have been eating normal portions and healthy while maintaining my hydration. I currently weight 203# so hopefully by tomorrow I can be around 201 and if I have to cut water if I need to.

With Zero experience at the table I would not enter the competition. Learn the technique first from some experienced pullers to ensure you don't injure yourself.

• Like 1

Have fun and good luck! Im guesing youre goin with JT.

Thanks...and you are correct!!

Also a man with some of the strongest wrists in the world and Gold Nail Bender (in leather) may also be going (any guesses?)

I appreciate the kind words Luke but unfortunately I'm not gonna make this one. Good luck though!

• Like 6

Get there early and get some practice in with some seasoned guys. Most guys want to grow the sport and will coach you up.

warm up and hang around after the tourny is over. Usually you can get a lot of pulls in with people willing to share advice and practice technique.

Edited by njordan337

Hey Luke..

Glad to see you're going to start competing. I've done about 5 of tournaments now and every time I left learning so much and pumped to continue to train and get better..being in grip sport is going to help you a lot but I found out that's only if you know how to utilize it in an actual match which takes time and technique. I've watched tons of videos and read up on workouts but nothing beats table time. Especially in a tournament. I'd go with the expectation of just learning as much as you can each Match you're in. My first time out I signed up for the open class just to get more pulls in, even though I knew I'd probably get crushed. But it's the matches I lost which were the ones were I learned the most from. I might have lost by the other guy just being flat out stronger and more technical then I was or cause I made a critical technique mistake and lost to someone I should have beat. But I found out when I would win especially win easily as a beginner, I thought I must be doing it all right and didn't critique myself hense didn't really gain anything. But I've tapped most my matches and when I lost I really went back and learned what I was doing wrong and asked people for advice and tips how to correct whatever I was doing wrong, maybe i needed to work on my lock more or wasn't strong enough in my rising strength or maybe i just needed some fine tuning in technique.

So just go there and get as many matches as you can in, and stick around after and pull with whoever is still there..

But there are some great videos out there if you just want to get some good tips.. If you type "Devon Larratt seminar" on YouTube I think he has like a 25 video seminar that go really in depth with technique.. But just like most things just stick with the basics at first and add to arsonel as time goes on.

Good luck buddy.

• Like 1

Hey Luke..

Glad to see you're going to start competing. I've done about 5 of tournaments now and every time I left learning so much and pumped to continue to train and get better..being in grip sport is going to help you a lot but I found out that's only if you know how to utilize it in an actual match which takes time and technique. I've watched tons of videos and read up on workouts but nothing beats table time. Especially in a tournament. I'd go with the expectation of just learning as much as you can each Match you're in. My first time out I signed up for the open class just to get more pulls in, even though I knew I'd probably get crushed. But it's the matches I lost which were the ones were I learned the most from. I might have lost by the other guy just being flat out stronger and more technical then I was or cause I made a critical technique mistake and lost to someone I should have beat. But I found out when I would win especially win easily as a beginner, I thought I must be doing it all right and didn't critique myself hense didn't really gain anything. But I've tapped most my matches and when I lost I really went back and learned what I was doing wrong and asked people for advice and tips how to correct whatever I was doing wrong, maybe i needed to work on my lock more or wasn't strong enough in my rising strength or maybe i just needed some fine tuning in technique.

So just go there and get as many matches as you can in, and stick around after and pull with whoever is still there..

But there are some great videos out there if you just want to get some good tips.. If you type "Devon Larratt seminar" on YouTube I think he has like a 25 video seminar that go really in depth with technique.. But just like most things just stick with the basics at first and add to arsonel as time goes on.

Good luck buddy.

Thanks man! Yeah I have no expectations going in, primarily a learning experience. I'm going to have to have JT build me a table (his weighs 250#) or make one myself. I won't have a difficult time making weight for KK next week as I am 201.8# this morning.

• Like 1

Overall a great day...I made weight for the 177-199 weight class just to find out that no one else was competing so I had to move up to 200+. I won RH 200+ and JT kicked all of our butts LH to get himself a win also!

Then I decided I would give the 215 pro class a shot...I went 3-2 with the 2 losses against the winner of the class. The first match was against Andrew Lavor (W), then Corey Klabeau (sp??) (W), then Brandon Elsessor (L), with 1 loss I had to face Jim Roof (W), back to the finals against Brandon and another loss.

Time for me to get into some training and get on a table for some technique!!

Video(s) to follow!

• Like 6

Wow, performing so well with basically no experience is pretty darn awesome! Great job Lucas!

• Like 2

Luke, I'll buy a table if you promise not to hurt me. Spar only.

• Like 2

I'll build one...much cheaper! I doubt I'll hurt anyone!

Awesome start and glad you didn't injure yourself and made very good experience there!

Awesome start and glad you didn't injure yourself and made very good experience there!

Focused on getting proper foot placement and always looking at my hand...injuries are risks that are part of daily life and I accept that but went in with at least an understanding of how to not get into break arm position.

• Like 2

In arm wrestling if you get hurt it's usually your own fault.

• Like 1