Classic Or Sumo For Axle Do Deadlift?

Mikael Siversson

It's the equivalent of MMS vs CCS, or bending in singles vs doubles. It shortens the range of motion thereby allowing higher weight.

I really don't see it as a range of motion thing - it just puts me in a position where I can use more legs and spare my injured low back some. Before blowing out this last disk - I was around 10# stronger Sumo than Conventional. If Sumo was really that much easier - we see all the big deadlifts done that way - and we don't - most of the huge pulls are still being done conventional.

The sumo style allows me to pin my thumbs against my thighs. But in any case You have to come to this height. Perhaps it's an advantage if You are fast! BTW, I still do better conventional but not much. But I'm slow as a slug! :trout

I have used conventional in the past but now train sumo. Sumo feels a lot better for me as far as lifting the weight without feeling so much strain on the body. Also i think its more of a natural movement e.g if you pick something up off the floor in everyday life, say a box, it tends to be with your feet either side in sumo position

Classic... I've done double overhand for years on classic deadlift and it's kept my grip very strong and able to close high grippers without training on them. I have a friend that prefers sumo and his grip just isn't there like mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Forget what I said. Turns out the only reason I experienced a big jump in poundage was because I, for the first time, max out in the Axle deadlift on a day where I had not first done my usual high volume pinch training. Maxed out today with the classic style (because of knee problems using the sumo style) for the first time without any pinch training and it felt like a totally different lift. There was none of that dreaded feeling when the hands are slowly opening up on the way up. Basically there seems to be no difference at all between the styles in my case.

What is your preference in the DO Axle deadlift?

I tried the sumo style for the first time ever today and was amazed by how much more I could pull with this style (almost 10% more with zero practise). Not so much because of a shorter distance to pull (did not use an extremely wide stance) but because the hand position suited my hand anatomy so much better. With the classic style I get very little wrap with my outer two fingers and the hand starts to open up well below my max. With the sumo style however, it only opened up right at the max.

Would be interesting to learn about other's experience.