A Few Questions - Please Read

smitty

Just got my Rolling Thunder and new #2 in the mail

I have a couple of questions:

1. The Rolling Thunder has a plastic handle? Wouldn't steel be a more sturdy design? Has anyone had any problems with durability of the plastic?

2. The #2 I got in the mail has a thick ass spring. I can crunch my buddies IM #2, but I can only get this one parallel, granted I just got done with a monster grip workout but how much can the gripper vary? up to 50 lbs....?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts:

I just built a handle similar to the RT. I made in out of steel exhaust pipe and it's a little bigger that the real one about a 2 9/16. It's a nice handle but I thinkIM made it with plastic because it rolls smoother. As far al durability I have never had problems with mine. Although I felt the same way when I got mine.

I've had my Rolling Thunder for about a year and a half now and have had absolutely no problems with the durability of the handle. There are a few dings and dents here and there, but I don't think that affects the mechanics of the handle noticeably.

Regarding the IM #2s, I haven't gotten the chance to try very many (3 total). The difficulty levels have been erratic to say the least. When I was capable of closing MY #2 for 17 reps, I tried a friend's brand new double-stamped #2 (after a few days rest) and got 1 clean rep.

Ben Edwards

Single stamped is a older gripper not sure how old but it only has one number stamped on the bottom (single stamped) the newer ones and maybe some of the older ones have a # on each handle (double stamped)

Smitty,

Can't comment on the rt don't have one. As far as the coc's, it's a brand new gripper so it will feel stiffer until you have seasoned it (salt and pepper andyone??). I can't remember the estimated times of closing it before it's "seasoned" maybe one of the board's resident experts can chyme in here.

Jon@han

I spring is definitely comparable to my buddies #3, and a lot thicker than my current #1. I will continue to try and "season" it but it is way harder than my buddies #2 by a long shot.

The "stamped" means how many handles have the number two on it. The old ones only had one handle stamped, I believe. The new ones have two.

As for seasoning a gripper, I spoke with a representative of Peidmont Designs (PDA) and he quoted the number 100 for the number of squeezes needed to fully season a gripper. ((I am not sure if this counts partial closes?))

As he put it, until the gripper is fully seasoned, one might continuously get the gripper closer to fully closed everytime he touches the thing, but that doesn't necessarily mean his hands are getting stronger, rather the gripper spring is "seasoning" or getting weaker.

Am I accurate in my statements here, fellows?

Napalm Jedd

The Rolling Thunder at the gym i work out has taken quite a beating from some VERY heavy RT lifts and lots of other folks... 'just doing a little grip work'.......with just2, 3 or 4 plates.

Nobody uses chalk on it and that may have contributed to it's continueing smoothness...EZ spin.Chalk(which doesn't seem to help much because of the smooth plastic anyway)can get underneath the plastic and slow down the rotaion and 'gum it up'.

We blow the dust out with an air pig,even a littl dust in there can accumulate...no air pig? you could stop by a service station and blow the chalk/dust out from time to time and keep the spin smooth.

Despite its flimsy appearance it seems to be a durable piece of equipment.

i don't know enough about grippers to comment on that tough number 2.too bad they are so unpredictable though.....good for collectors and experts :rock but unfortunate for the average guy that is just training.

Were you warm when you squeezed that COC2?

Smitty,

Can't comment on the rt don't have one. As far as the coc's, it's a brand new gripper so it will feel stiffer until you have seasoned it (salt and pepper andyone??). I can't remember the estimated times of closing it before it's "seasoned" maybe one of the board's resident experts can chyme in here.

Jon@han

I have read many times that to season a gripper it must be closed some where around a hundred times :cry

The more you use a RT the smoother it gets and the easier it gets. I new handle is about 7-10% more difficult for me.

The more you use a RT the smoother it gets and the easier it gets. I new handle is about 7-10% more difficult for me.

I'd say thats true also. My RT is about a year old and I don't use it all that much. I can only break 180 off the ground a few inches with it. A few weeks ago I was at Tony Scrivens and messed with his wich is older and well used. I tore 180 off the ground and held the lockout like it was nothing.

Obviously everybody confirms that a NEW RT is much harder than an old one.No doubt about that.

But when an older Rolling Thunder does get gummed up with dust,debris combined with condensation it creates a sludge or gummy substance that in my experience has made then made the Rolling Thunder easier for me?

When it feels 'dirty'to me it also seems easier...????

interesting.perhaps our maintenace schedule is the wrong approach?When its dirty is spins less or perhaps slower as i lift it..thus i get more weight when it is dirty.oh well..easier to not clean it i guess.

mikedeanrollingthunder.jpgMikeDean.jpg

darn!tried to set up a hyperlink...i must have done something wrong.it was just a good shot of a Rolling Thunder lift and another lift.seemed like a good idea at the time..I'll figure out those hyperlinks yet! :blink

I am glad you said that Wade.

I just got a new one last night-took it out and was astonished to see that I lost about 10-15% from the one Steve made me.

Rick Walker :rock

PDA makes a revolving handle that will never wear out. It's more expensive but you will only hane to buy one.

-HH

Hammerhead,

What is this product called?

I think it's called Thunderballs :laugh . I'm not sure, go check it out. i believe Wanna has it and likes it.

-HH

If ya'll want it (RT) to get harder again spray some wd40 or some grease in it.

Then that makes it spin easier.

Which is what we thought and why we keep it clean.Easier spin makes it harder?

Although i don't no what grease or WD 40 would do to that plastic on the IM Rolling Thunder :cool