Got Hooked On Bending Fast.

ZFJango

Thank you Josh W and Bencrush for talking me out of buying the 3/16" steel rod for my first try at bending. I got the 1/4" like you suggested, and cut two pieces at 7" long. I managed to bend them, and it felt almost as good as crushing a hard gripper for the first time! Man, I am hooked. I am going to cut a 6" piece of the 1/4" rod, and maybe try to bend it tomorrow. Thanks for getting me hooked, all ye benders out there! The world would be a darker place without the various grip sports!

• Like 2

Careful bro. Gripper strength does not carry over to bending strength. But gripper injuries carry over without question. Bending will give you a stronger grip but a strong grip will not make you a better bender.

I guess what I'm saying is it's hard to train both grippers and bending. And training both opens you up to more injuries.

• Like 3

Careful bro. Gripper strength does not carry over to bending strength. But gripper injuries carry over without question. Bending will give you a stronger grip but a strong grip will not make you a better bender.

I guess what I'm saying is it's hard to train both grippers and bending. And training both opens you up to more injuries.

Thank you, Bro. I will definitely use caution, man. I learned my lesson with what the lack of minfulness combined with pushing too hard can bring. I will keep distance between the two, gripping and bending, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPssTXFRfC4

I want to see if this link works. Here is my video bending 1/4" rod.

That's why I think Daniel Reinard and Hannes Kainz were of particular note in their dual certs.
  • Like 1

I just couldn't help myself, I had to try the 6" by 1/4" piece of steel rod. Once I cut it, I could not stop thinking about trying to bend it! Here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as1gl5m9Upo

The 6" was WAY tougher than the 7". I think the 5' may be beyond me at this point, but I won't know until tomorrow or the next day. I am feeling that 6" piece, and I am going to be smart about this.

• Like 1

I just couldn't help myself, I had to try the 6" by 1/4" piece of steel rod. Once I cut it, I could not stop thinking about trying to bend it! Here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as1gl5m9Upo

The 6" was WAY tougher than the 7". I think the 5' may be beyond me at this point, but I won't know until tomorrow or the next day. I am feeling that 6" piece, and I am going to be smart about this.

Very nice! Did you get the 1/4" HRS or did you buy CRS instead? Just curious what you ended up with. I can't watch the video yet...

• Like 1

Yeah absolutely. And balancing and maintaining strength and training until both were possible.

• Like 1

Very nice! Did you get the 1/4" HRS or did you buy CRS instead? Just curious what you ended up with. I can't watch the video yet...

I have to guess it is hot rolled, although it wasn't marked. It was all they had. Cold rolled is usually shinier than hot rolled, I think. This is not very shiny. I hunted through the rack, but this was it!

The CRS I have isn't shiny at all, for what it's worth.

Heck, then! I guess I have no idea at all whether it is HRS or CRS. Usually the rod stock is marked at Home Depot, but none of them had a hot or cold designator this time.

All right, I went to their website, and it is cold rolled steel. I should have looked it up from the jump. My bad.

• Like 1

All right, I went to their website, and it is cold rolled steel. I should have looked it up from the jump. My bad.

Well, in that case - great work man! You just bent the equivalent of a Blue Nail (possibly a bit easier, as hardware store CRS tends to be easier than the IronMind steel...but still!) on your first day bending, right?

• Like 1

Well, in that case - great work man! You just bent the equivalent of a Blue Nail (possibly a bit easier, as hardware store CRS tends to be easier than the IronMind steel...but still!) on your first day bending, right?

Bencrush, yeah! I was prepared for failure, actually, but I hit the steel like that post in the Bending forum said to. I hit it hard, and it bent. I just want to keep on bending stuff, now!

• Like 1

I cut a 5" piece of the 1/4" steel,but I am not going to try to hit that for a couple of days. I have to tell you, I am kind of pissed that no one ever told me how gorram shiny bending is! I would have been doing this a long time ago.

I cut a 5" piece of the 1/4" steel,but I am not going to try to hit that for a couple of days. I have to tell you, I am kind of pissed that no one ever told me how gorram shiny bending is! I would have been doing this a long time ago.

Man going short like that is another thing all together.

• Like 1

You can get passable wraps at most craft stores. It won't be super nice leather/suede but it's better than a t-shirt.

Welcome the struggle.

• Like 1

Man going short like that is another thing all together.

I know. That 6" was WAY harder than 7". That is why I only cut ONE 5" piece! I am pretty sure it is outside of my ability right now.

You can get passable wraps at most craft stores. It won't be super nice leather/suede but it's better than a t-shirt.

Welcome the struggle.

Ha ha ha! Someone once said that "It is the struggle which defines us." Heck. If we struggle against steel, that's a decent definition. Thank you, JHenze, I appreciate you.

For me there really was no effort at balancing grippers and DO bending. You can pretty much do them along side one another so long as your not also throwing pinch abd thickbar in the mix.

There were/are many who are the same way.

Aaron C.

PK

Jedd

Heslep

Edgin

And the list goes on as to guys who were awesome at both bending and grippers

But as far as I know these are guys that had either a bending or grip history before the other. They didn't start both at the same time.

And i am no one special... an average dude. So if i can do both at the same time and make gains, anyone can.

I call bullshit. Right now.

I know Tommy pretty good. What he is failing to tell you is he has been spinning wrenches and working with his hands for years, probably his whole life. So he is not the average dude pertaining to hand strength. He was already conditioned for the abuse.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 1

I wouldn't wait either. I don't think anyone who is able to not only make gains, but excel in any of the many realms of strength training are "average". People who strive for strength are a different breed altogether.

Best progression is usually working your way down in .5" increments

I think on average 6.5" is a 10% increase in strength and 6" is a 15% increase in relation the same bar at 7". This is usually only helpful if you have calibrated stock to use and compare with

Edited by JoshW
  • Like 1

In my experience both in life, grip, and bending, it's better to full-ass a few things then half-ass a lot of things.

For myself trying to go hard at powerlifting, grippers, hub work, thickbar, and bending was just too much overall work and they all started to suffer without me really knowing it.

When I solo started to focus on Powerlifting, grippers and thickbar is when I started to see the most improvement. Doing too much is a real thing.

• Like 3