How Many Reps On The #2.5 Could You Do Before Closing The #3?

AryanVegetarian

From parallel to parallel, or CCS to CCS.

I know ratings vary and it's not an exact science, but it would be interesting to hear some ballpark figures for reps.

(I'm about to order the #2.5. :fear )

I know ratings vary and it's not an exact science, but it would be interesting to hear some ballpark figures for reps.

They didn't have #2.5's when I started

- Aaron

• Like 1

The answer you're looking for will depend. Play around with high and low reps, see what works for you.

Me personally, I've done ever kind of rep pattern you could think of (5x3, 5x5, 10x10, 1x10, 1x20, 1x100)

Forgive me for this non answer...the last time I worked reps was with the #2. I found that working reps got me very good at closing the #2...and not so much help with closing the #2.5. I could close my #2 like 12 times and still couldn't close the #2.5. What helped me get the #2.5...was working with the #3.

• Like 3

This is one of those questions like " if I can bench 135x15 does that mean I can bench 205 now" These are questions we cannot answer. Every persons endurance and strength level will vary. Frankly there are too many variables to answer this.

There is a 2.5, different brands of grippers and different programs to follow. If you are looking to close the 3 do whatever it takes and use every tool available to you.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 5

My 2.5 is quite strong and when i could do 3 reps i began to think 3 could be possible. When i managed to do 2 solid reps with choked 3 i succeeded in MM0. At that time reps with 2.5 were around 5-7. Just to give you some idea.

the 2.5 was my goal gripper when I joined here a few months ago, later rated at 128lb. Once I closed it MMS then I closed it with the ghp block set. After that once I was doing 1 rep with it I was moving onto other grippers and attempting the #3 instead of trying to do reps with the 2.5. I wanted to save my energy for closing bigger grippers vs doing reps with it, but that's just me.Since I don't remember trying to do reps with it I'm gonna say the most I've done before closing the #3 is 1 rep only. But there is a difference between doing an easy rep or ghp block set with no chalk after little warmup and an MMS rep that you barely close it after long warm up, chalk, and several attempts.

It really could be anything from one single rep to 20 or even more, totally depends on the actual resistance the grippers in question has, not their label.

Agreed on a skewed range. First, sub max reps don't really relate directly to a max. When I started the Silver crush 2 was darn hard and I had to concentrate to do it even though most workouts tried and accomplished 7 singles with the 3. I did not know what a set was. Later in the last few years I do table no set as a rule and worked from 4 to 15 reps TNS while not affecting my #3 closing ability in a significant manner. Reps mean reps, distance is distance, same is same, and maximum is maximum. Apply as needed.

There were times I could close 145-150 grippers when I could do like 3-5 reps with my 126 #2.5

And I'm 100% sure I could do 10 reps on that same #2.5 without being able to close my 139 #3

Forgive me for this non answer...the last time I worked reps was with the #2. I found that working reps got me very good at closing the #2...and not so much help with closing the #2.5. I could close my #2 like 12 times and still couldn't close the #2.5. What helped me get the #2.5...was working with the #3.

Agreed on a skewed range. First, sub max reps don't really relate directly to a max. When I started the Silver crush 2 was darn hard and I had to concentrate to do it even though most workouts tried and accomplished 7 singles with the 3. I did not know what a set was. Later in the last few years I do table no set as a rule and worked from 4 to 15 reps TNS while not affecting my #3 closing ability in a significant manner. Reps mean reps, distance is distance, same is same, and maximum is maximum. Apply as needed.

Thanks, I understand it's a crude measurement, especially given the variance in grippers.

After closing the #2, would you say it's more effective to use the #2.5 as a bridge to the 3, or just to start working with the #3 on partial closes on progressively smaller objects (paul anderson squatting in a hole style), negatives and holds?

Edited by AryanVegetarian

Thanks, I understand it's a crude measurement, especially given the variance in grippers.

After closing the #2, would you say it's more effective to use the #2.5 as a bridge to the 3, or just to start working with the #3 on partial closes on progressively smaller objects (paul anderson squatting in a hole style), negatives and holds?

I think it might be too much after closing the 2 to do anything with the 3, even choker work. I assume that your #2 is average about 105 or so. If yes I say go for the ghp 5 after, then something in the high 110s (some coc 2s by cpw actually rated that high), then something in the low 120s, then the 2.5 or ghp6 (mid-high 120s/ low 130s), then you might have hard time finding anything between 130s and CoC3. Most of my grippers in that range are the spectrum CPW RBs.

• Like 1

Depends. Personally, progressive overload using different combinations of volume/intensity at a slowly increasing baseline will get you where you need to be. Currently my 1rm CCS 149 is equal 4x3 on a 132. Prior to moving up to the 132 I was hitting 5x4 on a 125. I think with credit card setting its important to build a good bit of strength endurance in your tendons before you start attempting goal grippers near your max. As it now my short term goal is 5x5 with the 132. Should get me in the mid 160s for a 1rm CCS.

As a side note, CCS is a very valuable training technique that carries over well in other areas. Hope this helps but it's just one man's insight.

• Like 1

Just get a Silvis T-Rex to cover the 130-150 range. It actually covers a big important range from around 100 to around 150. Great gripper to have.

I think it might be too much after closing the 2 to do anything with the 3, even choker work. I assume that your #2 is average about 105 or so. If yes I say go for the ghp 5 after, then something in the high 110s (some coc 2s by cpw actually rated that high), then something in the low 120s, then the 2.5 or ghp6 (mid-high 120s/ low 130s), then you might have hard time finding anything between 130s and CoC3. Most of my grippers in that range are the spectrum CPW RBs.
Are you saying its too far a gap fron the two to a three? Lots of us made that jump because there wasnt any 2.5 or ghp or any of those.

I was doing many many reps on a 2 before getting my 3 closed. But mAnaged to get that done.

Having a 2.5 would have been nice. Ive yet to even try one though.

I don't think you can make the jump to the no.3 just using the no.2

If you got there, King, it was because of the attempts on the no.3

In Brookfield's Milo artical about strap holds, he talked about that gap; even mentioning IronMind should come up with gap grippers...smart man!

And he knew of many guys who could crush the daylights out of the no.2 and couldn't close the no.3

Are you saying its too far a gap fron the two to a three? Lots of us made that jump because there wasnt any 2.5 or ghp or any of those.

I was doing many many reps on a 2 before getting my 3 closed. But mAnaged to get that done.

Having a 2.5 would have been nice. Ive yet to even try one though.

I just think it might be too much for one that just managed to do one rep MMS with the 2 to do anything with the 3. I was thinking of a 1 rep max with the 2 not many TNS reps. The average 2 is 105lb and the average 3 is 150lb. That's almost 150% increase in resistance. I know it's not exactly the same but if you bench let's say 275lb then 150% is about 410 lb.

Having many grippers is not necessary to eventually close the no 3, but IMO it's optimal for training. I think it's very impressive that you only trained with the 2 before working with and closing the 3.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

Having many grippers is not necessary to eventually close the no 3, but IMO it's optimal for training. I think it's very impressive that you only trained with the 2 before working with and closing the 3.

Very true. Even gap between my 2.5 and 3 felt enormous. Not to mention gap from 2 to 3.

I didn't use the 2.5 to close the 3 if i remember correctly. I was just closing the 3's from choker and a month or two after doing so I removed the choker and attempting it mms and no sets. 2 weeks to 4 weeks weeks I was closing them.

But if I had to guess (since am not good in reps) I would've closed the 2.5 once no set only (it probably is 135+). Maybe if I was lucky 2 rep mms

As a rule to start I would buy a gripper I could do3-7 reps with for a warmup gripper(TNS) and for a gripper to go after ( also TNS) get one you can squeeze to parallel. Probably a good way to cover aspects of training to shut a max gripper one day.