Questions About Wrist Work.

Jose Cabrera

So i want to approach wrist strength in an intelligent and effective waybut im still abit lost. I would appreciate some input on how to structure wrist work. When do you guys hit the different aspects of wrist strength? What rep ranges have worked for you? What are your preffered tools (ie wrist thingy vs sledges)? Do you avoid certain movements on or near your wrist strength work? Any info is greatly appreciated. This isnt just for the wrist strength monsters btw (ie Wiggy and Luke etc), input from everyone is more than welcome. Thanks in advance guys!

hey brother, I don't have a very structured training but I like wrist curls with dumbbells or variations with rolling handles with loading pin or at cable machine. I believe I do this at least once a week. Also, I recently started doing plate wrist curls which works your fingers at the same time. I usually focus on flexion from neutral, I don't go into extension with heavier wts but that's just me. It also feels good to do wrist extension curls (palm facing down) once in a while.

I tried this the other day and felt really good for wrist strengthening

also, I recommend checking out James Retarides vid. Many arm wrestling exercises focus on the wrist

I feel somewhat qualified to comment on this one. Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls are easy to do and very valuable - use a bar - plates or whatever. It's the other directions that are so critical for strong healthy wrists - especially rotational work in my mind. Sledges of course work well and are readily available. The advantage of the Wrist Thingy over a sledge or lever bar is simple. With a sledge, the resistance goes from hard (horizontal to the floor) to zero (vertical to floor) - with the Wrist Thingy the resistance stays constant throughout the entire range of motion.

This got me up to reversing a G5 to 30 degrees:

Wrist developer work on CROM spring increasing the reps on a level by 1 each workout until I could do about 9 reps on a specific level then going up a level. I would do 5 sets of this per workout but increased the reps every time.

You cant beat volume bending, reverse and strict DU. Before I switched to chasing this bastard cert I reversed 15 60Ds in one IMP wrap one after the other, transferred a lot, going back to two IMPS.

• Like 1

Wrist developer work on CROM spring increasing the reps on a level by 1 each workout until I could do about 9 reps on a specific level then going up a level. I would do 5 sets of this per workout but increased the reps every time.

he sold me his wrist developer :whistel

• Like 1

Bet you don't regret it for a day fella :grin:

• Like 1

I love that thing. I actually have two now one home and one at work! :)

I feel somewhat qualified to comment on this one. Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls are easy to do and very valuable - use a bar - plates or whatever. It's the other directions that are so critical for strong healthy wrists - especially rotational work in my mind. Sledges of course work well and are readily available. The advantage of the Wrist Thingy over a sledge or lever bar is simple. With a sledge, the resistance goes from hard (horizontal to the floor) to zero (vertical to floor) - with the Wrist Thingy the resistance stays constant throughout the entire range of motion.

Chris, are you still making the Wrist Thingy? I saw a vid that Rick put up and looks really good for supination/pronation work. Similar to the mazurenko machine. I found this vid of that machine.

• Like 1

Also, banging a heavy bag will strengthen the wrists big time. You work your way up, safe and slow. If you don't have access to a heavy bag, you can make a homemade punching pad to put on a tree or pole. That is what I use to keep my knuckle leather, and it hardens up the wrists like nothing else. I have a video about making a simple homemade punching pad.

Also, banging a heavy bag will strengthen the wrists big time. You work your way up, safe and slow. If you don't have access to a heavy bag, you can make a homemade punching pad to put on a tree or pole. That is what I use to keep my knuckle leather, and it hardens up the wrists like nothing else. I have a video about making a simple homemade punching pad.

true, I think Jose has background in boxing or martial arts

Chris, are you still making the Wrist Thingy? I saw a vid that Rick put up and looks really good for supination/pronation work. Similar to the mazurenko machine. I found this vid of that machine.

I'm not making any more Wrist Thingy's right now but they may be available here before long.

• Like 1

It depends...

I generally do wrist work as an accessory lift as in a few sets of generally high reps with no real planned progression. The intense wrist work comes thru bending, atlas stones, thickbar training, etc. The actual targeted wrist execises are to keep things balanced and healthy.

What do you want to strengthen your wrists for?

Great topic by the way.

So i want to approach wrist strength in an intelligent and effective waybut im still abit lost. I would appreciate some input on how to structure wrist work. When do you guys hit the different aspects of wrist strength? What rep ranges have worked for you? What are your preffered tools (ie wrist thingy vs sledges)? Do you avoid certain movements on or near your wrist strength work? Any info is greatly appreciated. This isnt just for the wrist strength monsters btw (ie Wiggy and Luke etc), input from everyone is more than welcome. Thanks in advance guys!

Jose, I do a great deal of my wrist work off of my ovewrhead band pulley. Wrist curls and static holds in various positions are a focal part of it and can be done with a crusher or similar rotating handle. My favorite one is the Country Crush handle, though any handle used is a tremendous wrist developer. My wrists have always been strong, yet are far stronger with the addition of the pulley work (any pulley would work). Naturally, lever bar work plays a role as well, and are done off a knee and with an arm held out to the side at shoulder level. I try other variations of lever work as well with different handles, and enjoy Wrist Wrench work as well. Some Orbigrip work rounds it out.

Regarding your question, I don't avoid other type of work close to wrist workouts, and precede wrist workouts with gripper work without a problem. My reps from 10-12 to as many as humanly possible, though I throw really low reps from time-to-time. I find wrist work a lot of fun, so make sure you enjoy what you choose to do.

• Like 1

Damn alot happened while i was at my nephew's 1st bday party lol.

Evan: thanks for the tips brother, yes i sold you my WD. For me it caused more harm than good to be honest. Thanks ive seen James vid; im just wondering how others do things for experimenting to see what suits me :)

Chris: Thank you for your input. Its interesting you said that about the wrist thingy as i was thinking the same; yet havent used one. How was the carryover for you with competition events like the sledge and reverse bends?

ZF: Thanks for the suggestion brother! Ive been in practicing martialism for a number of years (i don't call it art, violence isnt art). Ive achieved some pretty good striking feats but i will tell you dont gi to far with punching power as i broke my own finger and will never have full ROM again, and ive maxed every punching meter ive hit.

Joshw: thanks for the tips homie: ill get back to bending as soon as this (bad word filter)in 2.5 is shut lol, my gripper strength suck so bad i feel i must bring it up to keep balanced!

Joshh: so you unintentionally hit the nail on the head, i want to maintain balance in my lower arms. Thick bar and bending only aggravated tendons and didnt strengthen very much. Maybe my pain tollerance had something to do with how far i push past strength limits, idk. Thanks for your input.

33wes: thank you brother, im gonna give this a try; as soon as i make a wrist thingy lol!

• Like 1

Damn alot happened while i was at my nephew's 1st bday party lol.

Evan: thanks for the tips brother, yes i sold you my WD. For me it caused more harm than good to be honest. Thanks ive seen James vid; im just wondering how others do things for experimenting to see what suits me :)

Chris: Thank you for your input. Its interesting you said that about the wrist thingy as i was thinking the same; yet havent used one. How was the carryover for you with competition events like the sledge and reverse bends?

ZF: Thanks for the suggestion brother! Ive been in practicing martialism for a number of years (i don't call it art, violence isnt art). Ive achieved some pretty good striking feats but i will tell you dont gi to far with punching power as i broke my own finger and will never have full ROM again, and ive maxed every punching meter ive hit.

Joshw: thanks for the tips homie: ill get back to bending as soon as this (bad word filter)in 2.5 is shut lol, my gripper strength suck so bad i feel i must bring it up to keep balanced!

Joshh: so you unintentionally hit the nail on the head, i want to maintain balance in my lower arms. Thick bar and bending only aggravated tendons and didnt strengthen very much. Maybe my pain tollerance had something to do with how far i push past strength limits, idk. Thanks for your input.

33wes: thank you brother, im gonna give this a try; as soon as i make a wrist thingy lol!

Sounds good, Jose. I still use my wrist developer, though it is a tough one. The wrist thingy would work well :)

Idk why but the WD causes some crazy flareups in my arms. Maybe its the odd angle, i hung out with the fellas afew weeks ago and a sissy grade 2 fried my brachialis for a week, muscle ups were excruciating.

Reverse of course btw

ZF i just noticed that vid you posted, that was great dude thanks! Great way to mix it up brother! Dynamics work so much better than statics for me!

Idk why but the WD causes some crazy flareups in my arms. Maybe its the odd angle, i hung out with the fellas afew weeks ago and a sissy grade 2 fried my brachialis for a week, muscle ups were excruciating.

Reverse of course btw

Yea man , I think that angle of pull stresses certain muscles a lot. Once your body gets irritated with certain movements it's hard to reverse that process.I think that the WD isolates certain structures even at lower levels, especially if you follow strictly the DH rules of how it should be done (Reverse bending mechanics). When I started going heavier with it I got too excited and was training with it very frequently and couple of weeks ago my R forearm got very sore to the point that I wasn't sure if it's just soreness or more than that, and I so I stopped training to max since then. I'm only doing lower levers now but I still really like it I 'm planning on testing my max on it again soon. I'm also waiting in the mail some steel from fbbc to start bending and see how that goes too. I'll take it easy at first but if I end up getting injured I'll send you the WD back lol. The one I have at work I use it more with people for rehab than for myself, with the ironmind extensor bands instead of those super heavy (for a normal person) springs.

I'm not making any more Wrist Thingy's right now but they may be available here before long.

thanks Chris, let us know!

one more thing about the wrist developer: I think it helps you get better with setting grippers, there are some similarities in the two movements. The obvious difference is that instead of pulling on the long WD handle with the gripper you are pulling with 1-2 fingers on the short gripper handle. But I think that a lot of the proximal muscles are working the same way.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

thanks Chris, let us know!

I have a few Wrist Thingies made up now. $40 plus shipping (Flat Rate $12.90) here in the US

• Like 1

Can I ask what the wrist thingy is, can you post a picture?

Please look in the thread titled Wrist Thingy under selling - there is a video.

Do you mean under stores? I guess I don't have access since I'm new here.

Do you mean under stores? I guess I don't have access since I'm new here.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=45229#entry653833