What Can You Do With 7 Inchers?

Digdogz

Dear All,

As we know most people on this board have 'gorilla' hands but I, like a few others are blessed/cursed with the affliction of small paws! :blush

I am talking to 2strong as I do believe you have 7 inchers as well, I was wondering if there was any specific training you do to be so damn good on those grippers as you give me hope for my training!

Once again any advice would be gratefully recieved,

Digz.

I have 7 inches hands. There's nothing to do about it. Train, train, train hardr and harder. You'll get results.

Cheers Tou,

I seen a photo of 2strongs hands wrapped around a Rolling thunder handle and I figured I'd be about the same, does our small hands make a lift like this obviously harder?

And would you have any tips on how I can mash that #2 with my diddy mitts?

Digz.

Train with a Fairbar. Ask others for their best feats with their Fairbars. Levels the playing field at least with thickbar.

You are allowed to set the gripper with your free hand.

I seen a photo of 2strongs hands wrapped around a Rolling thunder handle and I figured I'd be about the same, does our small hands make a lift like this obviously harder?

Yes, it makes the lift much harder. I have a friend who is weaker than me ( in crushing strength ), but he can lift more than me on the rolling thunder, because he has bigger hands than me ( my best result is only 75 Kg... on a good day I hope to get 80 Kg :cry ). When it comes to grippers it's all about setting the gripper. You must set the gripper fairly deep to get the right leverage for your small fingers. Another thing that's helped me, is to perform no set closes with a easier gripper ( #1 ). For me this is ridiculously difficult ( I can barely get my finger tips to touch the handle ) and have helped me to get a stronger sweep.

PS Work harder than everyone else, to compensate for your weakness ! :rock

Good on ya 2strong!

I was afraid you were going to say that, train train train and train some more! I'm on it but its slow progress, I'm thinking I have to aqquire a rolling thunder to really start getting the strength up and am putting togeather plans for home-made thick bars as well.

I will carry on no matter how far the #3 seems away as I've set myself that goal and I won't stop till I'm there with you guyz.

Digz.

I will carry on no matter how far the #3 seems away as I've set myself that goal and I won't stop till I'm there with you guyz.

That's the spirit ! :rock

Guest gripmaster316

Believe it or not the #3 will come up very soon, my brother and I are closing in on the 3. Forget about me right now. My brother also has 7 inch hands and can mash a #2 like no else. What he does is simple... sink that handle as deep as it will go in your palm and squeeeeze. The only thing you probably won't be able to do is do a no set close with the higher grippers. I have 8 inch hands and can do a no set close with the 2 no problem... my brother on the other hand gets pissed off because he can't.

Good luck with your training.

To my mind, large hands are a plus with thickbar of 2'' or more. With pinchgrip, I am undecided about any advantage. With grippers, I believe that the advantage is all in the easier set. I see no other advantage, and agree with Wade Gillingham, who has said that large hands may even be a disadvantage in completing the close of a gripper. All you need to do is consider what Tou and 2strong have achieved with their smaller than average hands, and stop making handsize a negative issue. David horne is known not to have the apelike paws that the likes of me have, yet is perhaps the greatest ever all around grip man. People of all shapes and sizes have done amazing feats of strength. (ladies included) So do not start with the feeling of unfairness and handicap based on what you have been born with.

Oldguy, You are right, I have a friend who is huge and he can mash the #2 with little or no practise, so I think I begrudge him this :blush and may be looking for reasons as to why this is so......But that is why I was asking 2strong his opinion is because really and truly I knew the answer - Just train harder, and thats what i'm doing!

I'll get there soon.

The only problem with fairbar is-they have yet to produce a fairbar equivalent to the Inch and MB.

Also-If you want to be world class on the Rolling thunder-you have to use a Rolling Thunder.

My suggestion is to work yourself into the ground-"grip strength is slow cookin', like a good stew." -Bender53.

Of course-I have HUGE hands at 7 3/4". :rolleyes

Rick Walker :rock

I have some of the largest hands here at the gripboard. Even so I am still in the middle of the heap somewhere. You need to train as hard an intensely as Heath, Terminator, or Rick Walker to get to the top of that heap, no matter what you were born with. I am content though to do all this for fun and remain in the middle. :bow

I have a theory that I am not yet able to express in words, that 7 3/4'' may well be the optimum handsize for closing grippers. All this is of course is as futile as wondering what it is like to be shorter or taller than you are now.

Yes, that last bit of the closing of a gripper should be easier with smaller hands. You can run out of leverage there with a bigger hand. If your hand is really large the fingertips may even start to touch the palm before you have completely shut the gripper.

Maybe a gripper with a little thicker handles, to shorten the movement can fix this problem for people with huge hands.

As an advantage to grip capabilities, in addition to overall hand length, one must consider finger length, as well as thumb length and position in relation to finger tips. For example, it may be that two individuals with the same length hands would find that one could touch his thumb to his fingers around a thick bar, while the other falls an inch short.

My hands are 7 3/4, but I think my fingers are rather stubby. My middle finger is 3 1/4, measured from the base of the hand (crease nearest the wrist).

Edited by eric milfeld

Train with a Fairbar. Ask others for their best feats with their Fairbars. Levels the playing field at least with thickbar.

Don't you think a "fairbar" would really give the advantage to shorter hands? Shorter hands are usually proportionally thicker than long hands. I'm sure we've all seen people with short stubby thick fingers -- it's hard to imagine someone with a 9 inch hand having fingers that proportionally thick. So the long handed person can not be expected to hold his own in a "fairbar" comparison.

My suggestion is to work yourself into the ground-"grip strength is slow cookin', like a good stew." -Bender53.

Rick,

By this do you mean that i should go for broke and keep mashing the grippers and doing all that i do on gripwork and forearms until I get the results?

Last week I went crazy on all fronts, bar grippers, and have spent the beginning of this week feeling it in my hands and lower arms, I have been going hard on pinch and have been doing towel hangs till I drop. Iz this advisable until I feel those strength gains?

Digz.

Say you were a 200-pound squatter. But you have aspirations of one day doing 600-pounds raw, with no belt, and butt-on-heals.

Would you expect to be able to do it next week? Next month? Or even next year?

No. It would take 5-10 years of intense, ball busting hard work. You would have to eat, sleep, and breath your goal. And, you would have to live clean and eat to grow.

Why would it be any different for grip?

Pick goals-and train towards those goals. Dont give up hope, dont blaim poor genetics. Like Bender53 said, its like a good stew.

One day-you will just grab the #3 and CLICK! It will close. You will grab the Blob and LIFT-it will rise.

Give it time and train hard!

Cheers Rick,

I trust that you know what your saying, I've seen the photos, anvils by the horn??!! I'm just waiting to find the right one and I'm buying it! I think I'll go light to begin with and i am in the process of lathing down a replica horn right now!

And my goals are set to to give me something to aspire to. When I see some of the accomplishments of people on the board it shows me that alot is possible!

thanks for all your help,

Digz.

Right now, I'm working on my squats. I am calling this summer, The Summer Of Squats. Poundages used will not be mentioned for now but for the past two weeks, it (my current training routine) has revealed to me that I am right on target with my training. Like Rick said, you work on it. It will take some time, and nothing happens overnight so train hard!! :cool

It is always the year of the squat for me.

Course-when you have a tattoo of a squatter on your arm, it is easy to figure out that I enjoy the movement. By far my favorite-with deadlift in a close second.

I love that feeling when your squats are ON.