How To Pick A Gripper?

CMunger

Aight, here's the deal. I did my first Strongman competition this past weekend, and my grip went home sometime between the Farmer's Walk (225lb each) and the Power Stairs. As I'm firing up my workouts again, I'm leaving the straps home, gonna try to get a hodl of a 2" bar, and that good stuff, but I want to get some grippers to play around with, too.

I've pretty much been a slack-ass for a few years, but my grips not necessarily weak, but I'll be the first to admit that it's probably one of my weaker links. So how do I pick a gripper? I was checking out the IronMind stuff, but hell if I know what a #1 or #2 feels like. I don't want to waste money on a "Trainer" model if the only one I'm gonna use is #1 or #2, but the only things I've ever had experience were those cheap plastic ones that a school girl can do all day long. Then I saw the link for the RB Grippers here, and I see those #'s that are completely meaningless to me, thinking maybe the ip is for inch-pounds, but of course that's meaningless to me as well. I know the term but not the feel. Any tips or suggestions?

Cmunger

Welcome aboard,if you post were abouts you are from,maybe you could travel to the nearest person to you and try a few of theres,also

maybe one of the closer members,might send loan you a gripper to see were you stand.

good luck and you,ve found the best place for GRIP.

They say the average man has 115 IP of crushing power... The avearge strongman competitor is probably a bit higher... The trainer is 90-100 ip, and not nessecarily a bad thing. It's a great warm up. For sure, buy a #1 and #2, at about 130-140 and 180-190. If you want, go for the #3 at 250-260, quite a feat of strength.

Besides that, check out the BeefBuilder grippers at www.wwfitness.com They fill the gaps that IronMind fails to fill.

Buy a few, and you'll figure it out quick.

Thanks for the advice, it sounds liek Jeff Peterson is gonna let me try out his collection at a training session, so it'll be interesting for me to see where my grip falls in the grand scheme of things for a starting point. It would be cool to work up to a 3 someday.

PS: I'm in Savage, MN, until Aug 14. Then I'm moving to Big Lake, MN

Edited by CMunger

Don't forget to check out the Ivanko Supergripper. With it's adjustable resistence it makes the most economic sense if you aren't interested in getting certified.

Jon@han

Hi Chris. I saw you on the power stairs and the first words out of my brain were, "he needs to work on grip". I'd brought grippers with me that day- too bad we didn't get together, you could've tried some out then. I'm in Minnetonka if you want to stop by and do some training before you move to Big Lake (even after, but you'll be much farther away then). eMail me if you want.

I assume that you want to improve your grip for strongman? If that's the case, I'd definitely keep at the farmer's walk- the heavier the better. I personally haven't found much carryover from grippers to other grip intense events, but everyone is different. Will you be at the St. Cloud contest on June 28th?

BC.

Yeah, that was pretty much the thought that ran through my mind when I started lifitng and my left hand came flying off the weight. (And the inspiration for this thread) :blush That was my first experience with the Farmer's, and I fully expected my grip to give out first, but it was my legs there, but then my forearms sat and simmered til the Power Stairs and that pretty much spoke for itself. I figure that some grippers would be a convenient workout that way. Once I get moved and have some space, I'd like to start accumulating some implements, so I'll have more questions for all y'all when that time comes.

I will be at the June 28 contest, can't pass up a contest now that I've gotten a taste of the fun. :D

Edited by CMunger