Ironmind Extensor Band Workouts

Sam Radford

Using IM extensor bands, what type of routine should I adopt?

I currently can close the blue for 30+ reps at full stretch and the red for around 20 reps before hand starts to tighten up. I do this several times during the day but am I doing too many reps? I train them daily, sometimes every other day but throughout the time when i'm at work (sat at an desk at most time).

Should I try and double up the bands and use a blue and white and max out at 12 reps? And use the blue and red for a negative type hold?

My approach is that I use it after my regular griptraining, on the day itself or the day after. I just work through all the colours for 1 set of 10 - 12 reps. Than I work with the red ones till my extensors are feeling the burn, maybe even widening up the fingers with the other hand assisting and than holding it open. I try to watch when I am opening up the fingers, that I open up all fingers at an even ROM, you will notice some fingers leading in strength, so mostly the other fingers don't get as much as a good workout, like for instance your ringfinger. I don't see much sense in doing it all day, or that it would do any good. When done with right intensity, one or two times per week should balance out your extensors vs flexors allright.

Don't focus too much on the biggest resistence, like I said, with the lighter bands all fingers get the proper ROM, whereas with the bigger bands, the pointingfinger,middlefinger and thumb will do most pulling, overtaking the weaker fingers. You want to hit those too of course.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

Try putting one at the very tips of your fingers, then open your hand until the band rolls or slides all the way up to your knuckle. Sets of 5. Sometimes the bands slide when you don't want them to, so I just went with it.

Really exposes weakness in the thumb, if you can't get it extended then the bands aren't going to move up. Do the movement quickly. Try not to wiggle and cheat, just open fast and hard, and hope it works. If not, hold for 5 seconds then switch to a lighter band.

My approach is that I use it after my regular griptraining, on the day itself or the day after. I just work through all the colours for 1 set of 10 - 12 reps. Than I work with the red ones till my extensors are feeling the burn, maybe even widening up the fingers with the other hand assisting and than holding it open. I try to watch when I am opening up the fingers, that I open up all fingers at an even ROM, you will notice some fingers leading in strength, so mostly the other fingers don't get as much as a good workout, like for instance your ringfinger. I don't see much sense in doing it all day, or that it would do any good. When done with right intensity, one or two times per week should balance out your extensors vs flexors allright.

Don't focus too much on the biggest resistence, like I said, with the lighter bands all fingers get the proper ROM, whereas with the bigger bands, the pointingfinger,middlefinger and thumb will do most pulling, overtaking the weaker fingers. You want to hit those too of course.

Thanks for the tips Geralt! It's good to see other people's techniques and routines.

I do the same and to make sure the weak fingers get a good training I also train them separately with the white band?

I put the band around only two fingers and hold the finger that I don't train with the other hand. It's killing for the pinky finger.

• Like 1

I usually use the bands two or three days a week at night while I'm sitting in my chair. I use the red band or red with white band and go for higher reps (50-100) and do about 4 sets.

• Like 1

a fun thing and probably beneficial to do with the im bands is to change your arm position while work with them, you'll find by changing where your arms are will change the feel of the movement. I use to dink around with this with lighter grippers too. ie. arm straight out palms up, palms down, arm bent, arm behind your back etc.

Jon@han

Every weekday I usually keep a red and blue band in my pocket. Throughout the day whenever I'm working on a challenging IT issue or other mental puzzle I'll pull out pair and knock out set of 50 or so with them as a distraction.

You guys are superstrong I can't fully extend the blue and red band.

I usually do:

White: 10x2.

Green: 8x3.

Yellow: 5x3.

Blue: Assisted reps five times.

Red: Assisted reps two or three times.

Then I finish everything up with 10-15 more reps with the White band.

I only use them on non gripper days. I have tried different techniques, like only working certain fingers etc but I haven't found it beneficial so I always use all fingers. I never super extend my thumb, if I do I would be able to fully extend the Red band but I find it much harder to keep the thumb straight and it gives a much more effective workout.

The red band one day was super hard. Then it became so easy. Just do many reps on easier ones and then try the red as hard as you can. It'll come