Grip Prodigy?

Clay Edgin

Maybe we're all not as strong as we think we are. Or maybe I just found a grip freak in hiding.

I was home last night watching TV with the family and my sister in law's friend, a 15 year old ectomorphic girl who has never lifted a weight in her life, wanted to know what the grippers I was playing with do. I explained it to her and let her have a run at the #2, which was the weakest gripper I had on me at the time. Her FIRST time squeezing it, she got the handles below parallel and to within about a half inch! She is able to close it with both hands at the same time. She tried it a few more times throughout the night but was stuck at the half inch point.

I told her that in the world of grip strength, I couldn't think of a single woman to have closed the #2 and even closing the #1 is an accomplishment among the fairer sex. She seemed surprised that not many women could do it considering, and get this, "how easy it was."

I'm going to get a hold of my buddy's #1 and retrieve my Trainer and let her have a go at them as well. I'm sure she'll rep the Trainer and might shut the #1 a couple times as well. I've got friends who are grown men who can't shut the Trainer. Wait until I tell them that I know a 15 year old girl who can!

If she's willing, I'll help her develop a mighty grip. If she has no interest in it, that's fine too. I just thought it would be neat to have a female Captain of Crush!

Cool story! :D

There are some women that have closed the #2, but it's just a few. And I also think they have trained with grippers or a while.

Im impressed :bow

Maybe we're all not as strong as we think we are. Or maybe I just found a grip freak in hiding.

I was home last night watching TV with the family and my sister in law's friend, a 15 year old ectomorphic girl who has never lifted a weight in her life, wanted to know what the grippers I was playing with do. I explained it to her and let her have a run at the #2, which was the weakest gripper I had on me at the time. Her FIRST time squeezing it, she got the handles below parallel and to within about a half inch! She is able to close it with both hands at the same time. She tried it a few more times throughout the night but was stuck at the half inch point.

I told her that in the world of grip strength, I couldn't think of a single woman to have closed the #2 and even closing the #1 is an accomplishment among the fairer sex. She seemed surprised that not many women could do it considering, and get this, "how easy it was."

I'm going to get a hold of my buddy's #1 and retrieve my Trainer and let her have a go at them as well. I'm sure she'll rep the Trainer and might shut the #1 a couple times as well. I've got friends who are grown men who can't shut the Trainer. Wait until I tell them that I know a 15 year old girl who can!

If she's willing, I'll help her develop a mighty grip. If she has no interest in it, that's fine too. I just thought it would be neat to have a female Captain of Crush!

Liz Talbot has shut it - did so 2 or three years ago at the OH dinner. Nevertheless for a 15 year old its all good.

Sounds very good. Well done.

Amaury,

Elizabeth closed the #1 on her first try, and took about 2 months of training before she closed the #2. She then, a few weeks later did it at the OHF dinner.

David

Guest gripmaster316

Sounds like pretty strong hands to me... closing a one first try. I have given the #1 to so many people and have encountered very few men who could close it the first time. Way to go girls!!!! :bow:bow

Edited by gripmaster316

AND THE WORST TRAGEDY OF ALL...... Elizabeth won't marry me! *sniff!* :(:(

I do know of one lady that can close the #2. Mary McConnaughey, who is currently the best female armwrestler in the united states has closed the #2's. Do you guys think there will ever be a woman to close the #3's?

Elizabeth will be going against Mary at Kevin's supergrip contest in October. The best will win.

Will a woman close a #3 ever? Yes.

David

I visited with Ms. Mary last weekend as she won yet another national arm wrestling title.She is a wonderful competitor and super person.Her arms...well....impressed me to the max.In a jesture of friendship she presented me with her award trophy for her championship victory. It shall reside in my office with the ever present Grip Gauntlet. I did get to met the giant Cleve Dean and shake that hand that is as large as a baseball mitt. Mary still uses the #2 gripper I sent her years ago.RS

Cleve Dean is another armwrestler that has closed the #2's, and if you ever saw the size of him you would be expect him to be able to do two of them at once. I beleive his stats when he competed in worlds strongest man were 6'8 and 460lbs!!!

Guest gripmaster316

460 lbs??? wow!!! :bow:bow That is quite the weight, I would run for the high hillls if he wanted to arm wrestle me... considering he is also twice my size. I am actually shocked that hasn't squashed a three.

Mary M. came to my strongman contest in May. During the day she easily closed the #2 several times - it was quite funny since only two other guys that day closed the #2 (out of 30 guys). Her arms are the most impressive arms I have seen on a woman other than Becca Swanson. Mary is an exceptionally nice and humble person - she is a great person to get to know. Go Mary!!!!