How Much Does Chalk Help?

william

I've never trained grippers with chalk. I was worried about getting them covered in it, and I train indoors on carpet. I do try to wash my hands thoroughly with pumice stone based soap or at least dishwasher detergent to remove skin oils. I know I'm probably still sweating a bit throughout the workout though I'm not seeing beads or streams of it on my palms or anything.

I'm curious if others have tried with and without chalk?

How much of an improvement in terms of reps or RGC numbers might we be talking if I decide to get "dirty", haha!

It's been covered. A quick search found these that will be helpful to your question

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=44149&hl=%2Bchalk+%2Bhelp

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=43604&hl=%2Bchalk+%2Bhelp

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 2

"It's been covered. A quick search found these that will be helpful to your question."

In my opinion it hasn't been covered from precisely the perspective I addressed so I posted the topic for further insight and exploration.

Edited by william

You've gotta chalk up man. Have a vacuum nearby for after your session.

• Like 1

Of course I can just obtain chalk and try. I was curious though, to the extent of specific improvements I might obtain.

Yeah, you may be right. My opinion has been that I could always add it later. But perhaps "later" is now.

In the meantime, I was thinking that I might be reaping beneficial effects from not relying on it. But I don't want to hold myself back either.

Edited by william

If you have really sweaty hands then you really should always use it.

If you have very dry hands it won't be a big difference, a little bit but not big, in my experience. I have extremely dry hands, too dry actually.

Of course I can just obtain chalk and try. I was curious though, to the extent of specific improvements I might obtain.

William, Chalk makes a huge difference for me. If you are worried about mess look into liquid chalk products. Can't certify with them but they're good for training. Don't foreget your handles will get build up residue even if you don't chalk...instead of chalk it'll be skin :sick:

Jon@han

• Like 1

To answer the question, it helps a lot.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the other side of this. I think it was Ben Edwards who trained with grippers with the handles dipped in oil!!!!!!!!!!! :yikes

Jon@han

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the other side of this. I think it was Ben Edwards who trained with grippers with the handles dipped in oil!!!!!!!!!!! :yikes

Jon@han

Yeah, I've seen someone who tns:ed a #3 that he dipped completely in oil. Could be him?

Edit: Found it on YouTube.. Sick strength!

https://youtu.be/YZOF2BYguDM

Edited by Simon Norevi
  • Like 1

Ben did that and Gary bent a stainless bastard bare handed covered in WD40!

• Like 1

In general it helps but not for all grip feats. The ones that know when to use it and when not to will have the big success and numbers.

In general it helps but not for all grip feats. The ones that know when to use it and when not to will have the big success and numbers.

Some examples of when best practice is to use no chalk.

• Like 1

:rolleyes

Jon@han

Those were the good old days, Jonathan! :grin:

Although, Pat Povilaitis said on the IronMind forum that he thought coating the handles in oil made the close easier. :huh::trout:rolleyes

• Like 1

Although, Pat Povilaitis said on the IronMind forum that he thought coating the handles in oil made the close easier. :huh::trout:rolleyes

Haha.. That sounds logic :huh:

Edited by Simon Norevi
  • Like 1

Yeah, you may be right. My opinion has been that I could always add it later. But perhaps "later" is now.

In the meantime, I was thinking that I might be reaping beneficial effects from not relying on it. But I don't want to hold myself back either.

You should just give chalk a try, William. I'm surprised that you haven't tried it yet, since you are a 9-year member of the Gripboard. Some guys get a big boost from chalk. Some guys get nothing. I have hands that tend to sweat a bit. Chalk helps me a lot on grippers.

When the humidity is just "right" - I was able to pull more with no chalk and a completely chalk-free surface on the 2" FBBC vbar. Same with the Apollon's Axle.

• Like 2

When the humidity is just "right" - I was able to pull more with no chalk and a completely chalk-free surface on the 2" FBBC vbar. Same with the Apollon's Axle.

I agree. Sometimes, under the right conditions, if you chalk a little bit, and then rub it all off of your hands really quick, you get a nice "texture" to your hands that seems to "stick" better to these kinds of implements. Sometimes it has helped me for 2HP.

• Like 1

Jon@han

Yeah, I've seen someone who tns:ed a #3 that he dipped completely in oil. Could be him?

Edit: Found it on YouTube.. Sick strength!

https://youtu.be/YZOF2BYguDM

Thanks, Simon! I can't believe that was 5 years ago already. :huh: I also did a Double TNS #3 close after pouring oil on the grippers. Only did it once though, because it really irritated my left hand to do the oiled closes.

• Like 1

Ben did that and Gary bent a stainless bastard bare handed covered in WD40!

Bending a Bastard bare-handed covered in WD40 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay harder than what I did. I bent a Yellow Nail bare-handed after coating it in Wesson years ago. That was the first and last time I bent anything covered in oil. I was successful with the bend, but it felt much harder to me than bending a Grand Bastard in Ironmind Pads.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a year old but I was searching around for information on chalk and finally decided to get some. Yesterday it arrived and I used it and went from never being able to close my 2.5 in my left hand to getting 3 small reps and had a really strong close with my 3 in my right hand for the first time ever and was able to hold it for a while (maybe due to shock, excitement, and disbelief that the the closed gripper in my hand was really my 3). But yea the only reason I'm posting this is in the hopes of someone questioning ordering chalk like I was finding this. CHALK HELPED ME A LOT. But at the same time everyone is different. I naturally sweat way more than average people, so maybe it helped me more than it would someone else. But if there's just a few mm left and you feel like your hands are always sweaty and that the leg in the palm always slides, I highly recommend investing in some :)

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 0:02 PM, Autolupus said:

Also, regarding this, maybe lifts like Rolling Thunder?