Unopened Gripper

greppstark

Will an unopened #3 for example be harder the first time you try it compared when it's used some weeks and oiled?

I believe so. It's definitely not going to be easier. Is your Coc 3 rated? If your goal is the CoC cert it might be a good idea to have one in the 150s to be prepared in case you get a heavy one.

• Like 1

Will an unopened #3 for example be harder the first time you try it compared when it's used some weeks and oiled?

I'm sure i've read on here that they allow oiling of the spring before a cert? Or was I dreaming ha ha :huh: as it doesn't seem to be in the IM rules for certing?

Never heard of someone bringing oil to their cert for the spring haha you might be right though!

They say the first 50 to 100reps the spring will get a little weaker. Thats called seasoning.

Therefor Matt when rating the gripper closes them for 30times.

Haha if someone wants to bring oil to his/her cert, he/she is definitly not ready for it :huh:

I believe so. It's definitely not going to be easier. Is your Coc 3 rated? If your goal is the CoC cert it might be a good idea to have one in the 150s to be prepared in case you get a heavy one.

Unfortunately not. The only thing I know is that it's harder than my friends #3. I actually ordered a new #3. Going to unbox it and attempt it on video.

Yup.

Cannon rated my #3 Cert gripper twice.

The first time (right when he got it from the mail)...it had only been closed twice by me, he rated it at 153.

Then he applied his normal routine to the gripper and rerated it...dropped to a 149.

I do believe that after that initial drop...the better made grippers tend to hold their ratings pretty well.

• Like 2

I'm sure i've read on here that they allow oiling of the spring before a cert? Or was I dreaming ha ha :huh: as it doesn't seem to be in the IM rules for certing?

Actually that came up in an IM thread at the IM forum.

Randall specifically said (which I verified personally) that he has no problem with a potential Certer going ahead and chest crushing the Gripper a dozen times or whatever...as a warmup prior to the Cert attempt.

The subject of oiling followed and was dismissed as something that would become ridiculous and wouldn't seriously be considered.

• Like 1

Actually that came up in an IM thread at the IM forum.

Randall specifically said (which I verified personally) that he has no problem with a potential Certer going ahead and chest crushing the Gripper a dozen times or whatever...as a warmup prior to the Cert attempt.

The subject of oiling followed and was dismissed as something that would become ridiculous and wouldn't seriously be considered.

Knew I had seen the discussion on this before, thanks for verifying! Suppose if your in the position to cert, you want as much advantage as possible!

• Like 1

The spread may decrease a little, as well.

• Like 1