Grip Strength As Predictor Of Death

steelbiceps

page not found

Error 404

Edited by EJ Livesey

Now it's working.

It will be the death of me, if my wife ever figures out how much I have spent on grip.

• Like 4

It will be the death of me, if my wife ever figures out how much I have spent on grip.

Lol same here

Cuts money on health insurance costs.

She should be commending you for SAVING the family money :D

I guess I am doomed.

:)

Guess I'm lucky on this one; the wife knows not to come between me and anything grip related.

• Like 2

Guess I'm lucky on this one; the wife knows not to come between me and anything grip related.

haha I guess I need to learn how to get that set up

When I first saw the headline I thought it said more grip strength predicted death and I almost had a heart attack. But then I reread it and felt much better.

At least now I won't be as concerned about having a stroke when bending.

• Like 2

She met me around the time I certified on the #3 and made one thing clear (same for everybody I've been with), everything relating to lifting/grip/fitness, no matter what's going on don't stand in my way because I'll go after it one way or another.

No matter if she protest on it, it's one of my outlets in life and nobody comes between me and the barbell/gripper.

• Like 2

She met me around the time I certified on the #3 and made one thing clear (same for everybody I've been with), everything relating to lifting/grip/fitness, no matter what's going on don't stand in my way because I'll go after it one way or another.

No matter if she protest on it, it's one of my outlets in life and nobody comes between me and the barbell/gripper.

Sounds like the recipe for greatness right there

• Like 1

A good woman is a quiet woman.

Sean

I've often wondered, if a man says something, and there's no woman around to hear it, is he still WRONG???

• Like 5

Sometimes I think these studies are done just so someone with a bunch of letters after their name has something to publish.

How many pro strongmen, wresters, etc. had amazing overall strength and died young? Tons. It doesn't mean squat in the grand scheme of things.

If I walked into my doctors office and he said, "well, instead of doing our usual echo, EKG, and blood work, we are just going to have you squeeze this little tool and where ever you score, that is how we will determine how things are going", I would walk right out the door and find a new doc.

You need blood work, blood pressure tests, echos, EKGs, etc. You can be strong as an ox and die at 23 or weak as a kitten and live to be 105. Its all in the genetics you were handed by your blood line.

I am not getting in on the wife talk. I know where my bread is buttered....

• Like 3

A good woman is a quiet woman.

Sean

I've often wondered, if a man says something, and there's no woman around to hear it, is he still WRONG???

My mom just recently bought a t shirt with this sage question printed on the front for my stepdad.
  • Like 1

Don't think these docs were using grip as a standalone assessment. Just a bit of correlation... Two; the groups you mentioned have a high usage of steroids..maybe not as much in strongman, but pro wrestling??? Not the healthiest of lifestyles but they're Jacked!

There's plenty of truth to this study bc strength is generally more healthy than frailty and weakness. Barring grip athletes, weak ppl have kitten hand strength where strong ppl could probably close CoC 1 with no training.

Don't think these docs were using grip as a standalone assessment. Just a bit of correlation... Two; the groups you mentioned have a high usage of steroids..maybe not as much in strongman, but pro wrestling??? Not the healthiest of lifestyles but they're Jacked!

There's plenty of truth to this study bc strength is generally more healthy than frailty and weakness. Barring grip athletes, weak ppl have kitten hand strength where strong ppl could probably close CoC 1 with no training.

Strongman is full of steroids without considering their retarded 20000 calories diets,no wonder that they are going like flies

They say it is a more reliable predictor than blood pressure.

Obviously, this is strictly correlational and means you have good blood flow throughout your veins and arteries: your heart does not have to pound extra hard to get to your extremities.

However, weight training - especially specialized grip training - will probably skew the predictive reliability dramatically. Your grip strength then becomes more a creation of specialized training than good, clean blood flow into your extremities.

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

Hey now, you can't use the "S" word or "D" word on here, it is in violation of the rules!!!!!!

Its all based on genetics. We all know that training, regardless of what type of training it is, will not prolong your life but rather provide you with a higher quality of life for longer. Instead of being all bent over and crippled at 60, you are able to enjoy your life and continue to do activities you enjoy for longer. But, chances are if your mom and dad, grandmother and grandfather, died young of disease, there is a high probability that YOU will also die at a younger age of the same disease. You can train all you want, you most likely wont escape the same fate.

I trained a client many years ago who, despite being a strict vegetarian for nearly his entire life, had a quadruple bypass before he was 50. How? Dude never ate any foods that would contribute to said disease? His dad, who was also a vegetarian, had a heart attack in his late 40s.

I had an old Indian tell me once that I was killing myself training so much. He said to look to the forest. Which animals have the shortest life span? The small ones that run around all day long like squirrels, rabbits, etc. He then said, what lives the longest? I sat and tried to think which animal lives the longest...turtle maybe? He said the trees, and they never move...

Bad for us who found wife before we entered in the world of grip, hehe.

J.

the only thing that my wife is happy about is that I 'm more willing to take the trash down and carry heavy groceries (good grip work)

• Like 1

btw I like that according to the article

A large study of nearly 140,000 people from 17 different countries found a clear and consistent link between grip strength and death from any cause,

(emphasis added)

they present it is as if having strong grip will help prevent death from any cause. That would be nice, but correlation does not mean causation.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

I say our goal in increasing the popularity in grip sport should be to break their correlation.

My work does an annual 'wellness check' for which we get $250 off our health care deductible if we participate. I would not be surprised if they start including a hand dyno as part of their health checks. I think it would be pretty funny for one of us to walk into a clinic and blow the #'s off the chart, and see what the medical people have to say about it.

At a previous employer (14 years ago), they actually passed around a hand dyno in one of the ergo training classes. I don't know that they really had a point to it at the time.

• Like 1