Removeable Thickbar Sleeves

Incindium

Thickbar Sleeve Page

A couple months ago when I first joined this board I posted a question about whether anyone had made or knew how to make some removable thickbar sleeves that would turn any bar or dumbell into a thickbar. The only product that was mentioned was the Thick Grips from Ivanko which I planned to eventually buy but never did. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I got an email from one of the GripBoard members, MRBeyers, he said he had something I might like and that he's send them to me for free if I would give him feedback and post about them on the Gripboard. So of course I accepted and a little over a week ago I got them in the mail.

They are simple, just a piece of rubber tubing of some type with a slit down the side cut the right length to just fit over the handle of a dumbell. The slip on pretty easily and convert any dumbell or barbell into a thickbar. By my measurements the ones I have make a bar somewhere around 2 and 1/8-3/16ths inches in diameter. The link above shows pics of me demoing them. They only thing you have to watch out is you need to have the gap in the rubber sleeve facing upward against the palm so that the bar doesn't try to slip out of it while lifting with them. They work great for me, I've been taking them to the YMCA with me and incorporating them into most of my lighter warmup sets. It's been a great way to add a little forearm/grip work without having to specifically add it to my routine. I just slip them on for my lighter weight warmup set for my push presses, bench presses, deadlifts, preacher curls, ect... Then I just slip them back off when I move up to my work sets. So far no one at the Y has even noticed me using them :laugh They are a great tool for people like me who don't have access to thickbars in their gyms or want a low cost solution over actually purchacing a thickbar.

You can message MRBeyers if you are interested in them. I think he's going to make the available to purchase but I don't know the details myself. Another thing that I think would be cool is having them available in different sizes to make bigger thickbars. He said this would probably be possible but he had to buy the rubber in 12ft sections so there would probably need to be some interest in them by more than just me. So hopefully you guys will show some interest.

Thanks again MRBeyers for sending these to me :bow and sorry :( I took so long to post this and the pics.

Great post Incidium!! And Kudos to MRBeyers for the great idea! Now those training in commerical gyms will have opportunity to play with thick bars as well!

Jon@han

Jesse,

Thanks very much for your detalied comments. :bow I am glad you liked the sleeves. Anyone else who is interested please email me, and I will get back to you regarding price and delivery time. I have several sets alredy made, ready to ship. :rock

Mike