Equipment Question: How To Attach Rolling Thunder To Barbell? No Loadi

beastmaster

Need some help from the grip experts.

Is there any kind of attachment that would allow me to connect a single handle (ie, Rolling thunder, wrist wrench, etc) to a barbell instead of a loading pin?

Obviously if I use an S-hook or snap link it'll slide side to side on the barbell and won't work, and even if there was a way to center a snap link the barbell would still sway, so it would need to be some kind of 2-point attachment. I realize this is why loading pins were created, but I'm trying to see if there's a workaround due to space limitations in my workout area. Thanks!

Go to a climbing/outdoor store and get a single daisy chain (about 8 inches or so). It's basically a circle. It's the simplest way of doing it and it has a very high kN (kiloNewton rating) strength. Also, very cheap. I've been using one (or two for conventional) for using chains when I dead lift for years now. The same one has held up for 6 years. Really, any climbing rope material will work, but 8 or so inches has proven to be a good length. Let us know what you do.

• Like 1

Yeah that would be a climbing sling, usually either Nylon or Dyneema, but will certainly hold up to your static loads. They're meant to take falls, so that will definitely do it.

A daisy chain is a chain of shorter sling links, which would probably be just as good, but is probably more expensive.

http://www.cham3s.com/images/photos/gd_longe%20Grivel-Daisy-Chain.jpg

Great simple idea, I wouldn't have thought of this, and I rock climb!

Is there any kind of attachment that would allow me to connect a single handle (ie, Rolling thunder, wrist wrench, etc) to a barbell instead of a loading pin?

Are you trying to attach this to the center of the bar and do a complete lift? Or just to one end of the bar and let it hinge by the other end, like with a Landmine?

Yea Jared, my goal was to lift an entire EZ curl bar with a rolling thunder handle attached to the center.

Jethro's idea of a climbing sling is perfect because I can attach 2 of them, one to each inner curve of the EZ curl bar, and snap link the tops of both slings to my rolling thunder. Bar will be balanced nicely that way and won't swing or sway. I just ordered a pair of the mammut slings.

• Like 2

I'll be here all day folks. :) Kidding. A climbing buddy turned me on to the idea years ago, and I smacked myself in the forehead because I didn't think of it. He has a gift for keeping things simple, unlike myself. lol

Yea Jared, my goal was to lift an entire EZ curl bar with a rolling thunder handle attached to the center.

Jethro's idea of a climbing sling is perfect because I can attach 2 of them, one to each inner curve of the EZ curl bar, and snap link the tops of both slings to my rolling thunder. Bar will be balanced nicely that way and won't swing or sway. I just ordered a pair of the mammut slings.

Once you can lift the curl bar you can start attaching weights! ;)

Once you can lift the curl bar you can start attaching weights! ;)

I guess I walked into that one :grin:

• Like 1