Double 45 Clean And Press- Feat Judging Test

Lucasraymond

Well I will re-submit it Mike. I guess I am a bit sensitive because people were questioning my integrity on my 12-lb coinlifts even though Bob, Robert, Jason and Gary all watched me do it. That was questioning my integrity, no two ways about it.

But isn't questioning one's integrity kind of built into not just feat judging here on the gripboard, but various cert processes as well? If everyone was perfectly trustworthy, all you'd have to do is let a mod know what lift you've performed, and they would add you to the list no questions asked. Same for a COC cert--just email Dr. Strossen, let him know you've closed the #4, and your name would be on the who's who list by sunset.

But not everyone is trustworthy. The Silverbacks of the world have proven that. And you have folks out there to this day who either have big claims but no video, or big videos but no face to face performance. And that's why I think you have to take video-based certs with a grain of salt, but at the same time be very strict with them given the obvious limitations.

Face to face will always be king. I'm more impressed with the 500lb bench press I saw in person than I am with virtually any other lift, bend, or gripper close I've only seen a video of. With the 500lb bench, I helped the guy load the bar and I spotted him. He was a janitor in a high school I was wiring, and on breaks he would go down to the weight room and lift. With my own eyes I saw him put his broom down, walk to the basement, load 5 wheels on each side of the bar, and transform into some sort of animal for a few brief seconds. No wraps, no bench shirt, no smelling salts, no partial reps. Just perfect form and raw power.

So yeah, take the video certs with a grain of salt. They are fun and vital to the online grip community, but you're never going to earn the kind of respect via YouTube that you do face to face. It's just like when I was going for the MM0 a few years ago, I knew I could close a COC #3 or a GHP 7 from a much wider set than parallel most days of the week, but I was never able to get it on camera in a way that satisfied the judges' criteria. Same with the GHP cert. Which is fine. I finally realized that my training was suffering because I was more preoccupied with camera angles than I was with getting stronger, so I let go of the idea of constantly proving my strength to people I've never met, and got back to focusing on getting stronger. (Then I got hurt a few weeks later, but still... :getlost: )

Agreed. Additionally, judges are needed for the honest who fail to even realize they have broken a rule in the performance of a lift. Very common in my experience.
  • Like 2

Yeah i see that i could of went about it a different way but I was hoping my lift would get a mix of yes and no to show there is a difference in thought process between ppl and some subjectivity!

Well there will always be a difference in people's thought process. I trust a large enough group to set standards, i.e., that's why there is usually more than one judge for a contest, and in our case at least 20. I've seen questionable submissions yes, but I haven't seen anything pass that probably shouldn't have. Have you?

Edited by Mike Sharkey

No Mike I have not seen anything pass as being questionable...so it has done its job!

• Like 1