Trading Some Bar Stock

Sybersnott

I got into a convo with Jonathan McMillan, and he and I are going to swap some nails. I was also wondering if anyone else is interested in doing this! ;) Here's the deal: I just got some boltcutters, and went to town on some nails I just got... heads/points removed on some eight inch 20d stock. I also cut some 4" 20d nails - H/P removed. Is there any stock that anyone would be interesting for me to obtain and cut? I am just getting into this... so please bear with me - I'm a "nail bending newbie" wanting to get my feet wet in bending. :tongue

Hey Snott to date, What is you'r best bend? you "newbie" :laugh

Edited by don of tha new grip

bender,

No. I didn't get it yet.

Don,

Last night, this "newbie" went through three nails like they were butter. I'm not kidding. These are 8" long nails and on my VERY FIRST BEND... it went over like a wet noodle. "This is too easy", I thought. On my second nail, I was bare handed (right hand), left hand a small pad. That nail ALSO went like nothing. The third nail bent, and I quit.

It that point I was both happy AND disatisfied. NOW I had to go out and get tougher stuff! Well, today I did. It's 1/4" and I have to cut it down to size because it's a long rod. I will also cut down the 3/16" spikes and see what happens. I need to find long nails!! Most of the places I go don't carry anything longer than four inch long nails.

The 8" long 3/16" spikes I have are really "gutter spikes". They are good steel, not galvanized. Maybe the stuff is TOO long - I dunno.

Edited by Sybersnott

Sybersnott,

Try cutting those gutter spikes down to 6" and 5" pieces and see if that makes them more challenging.

Bolts are expensive to bend but they look a lot cooler when they are bent out of shape.

Jon@han

Yesterday I bought sixty total of 5", 4.5" and 4" carriage bolts, all 1/4". A bit more money? Yea, but they really do look better when bent.

I also bought my first "Class 5" and "Class 8" bolts. Wow, what a difference. Not even the same ball park.

Snott, you don't have a HomeDepot nearby? Gutter spikes are nearly always made from aluminum. The only problem I have where I live is finding nails that are not sold in huge quantities, but by the pound. The one local store that will sell you as many or as few nails as you need only has nails up to 4'' As it is to bend a 60d nail, I try to do it inside the HomeDepot store, or walk out with one nail without paying. I am not going to buy 30 to 50 pounds of the things! My HomeDepot no longer sells small amounts of 60D nails from an opened box.

"Lowes" is the only place I've found where you can buy 60Ds by-the-nail.

I will visit a Lowes sometime. they are a 20 mile roundtrip for me so I will not bother to make a special trip, but if I happen to be in the neighborhood. HomeDepot dominates down here.

Then again, it is pretty cool to have a 50lb crate of nails, all for bending. :D

I must say that one of the best things I did when I started bending, was buy a 30lb bucket of super-easy-60D's, the 6" spiral nails. I owe a lot to that bucket and always haveing a medium-easy nail on hand to bend.

As always great shopping tips guys! Although there is no Lowes in this neck of the woods.

I am going to have to get a bulk supply of nails as Bender stated, just for the convience.

Jon@han

I haven't even thought about LOWE'S... and there is one near where I live. OldGuy, is right: down here it's Home Depot that dominates the market. Hey, Home Depot STARTED right here in Atlanta! :) One of the founders, Arthur Blank bought the Atlanta Falcons for 535 million dollars (pocket change for that guy), and the other one Bernard Marcus is building the Georgia Aquarium that will host the one of the biggest aquariums in the world. :D

BTW, OldGuy... those "gutter spikes" are NOT aluminum, they are steel - maybe an alloy steel or something like that.

There is a hardware store in my town that has been in buisness

here for 119 yrs. The old country style hardware store owned and

operated by the same family.

They have the same stacked with rotating bins nail station since they

opened. You have to weigh your nails on a spring scale that hangs

by chains from the ceiling. No boxed nails here

They have 20d, 30d, 40d, 60d, 80d, 100d sizes. Home Depot and

Lowes nails do not compare to these nails. Of course, I am no expert

on nails but these nails are different in my opinion. The owner told

me they are HRS.

I am not a nail bender but for kicks, I would like to send a few of

these nails to Tom Black and Terminator and see what their opinion

is. So Tom and Pat if you are interested post it up and I will get

you some of these nails.

I have been to that type of hardware store, but I think that they buy the 50-pound boxes and put them in the bins themselves. Thus, the suppliers of the nails are the same, but without the packaging. Home Depot and Lowes have recognized that it is convenient for them and their customers to have the nails prepackaged. As much as I appreciate the offer I don’t think there would be anything unusual about those nails. Personally, I don’t like buying from the bins because later on when I go to bend a nail from a bin and it’s a strength I like for a particular reason then I don’t know the brand name to go buy more. If you ask in the old hardware store I bet that they have 50-pound boxes in the back. In True Value hardware stores they have different suppliers of nails and when you go back later they might not have the same type.

Zcor, I'm always happy to try some new nails. You never know, there may be something real interesting there. I'm interested in the 60d, 80d, and 100d. I'll PM you with my address.

Thanks for the offer!

Pat i would be glad to send you some 7mm nails cut to 180mm... In return I would like your opinion on how they compare to the red nail... I think you're one of the very few that can give that kind of information ;):bow

Additional places that you might shop for nails are Farm equipment, Landscaping Supply, and Lumber Supply stores.

Happy bending! :D

All I've been running into lately is 4" nails. I need some that are at least 6" or longer. zcor, if you can send me a few.... I'd like to try some! :D

Zcor do not ship them UPS. It has been two weeks for nails to get from PA. to Ga. Brown has slowed way down. I've seen 50# Blobs move faster!

UPS bites the big fat weenie!! At our company, we went from UPS to FedEx because UPS was losing and mismanaging the packages we were sending to customers (and we deal with time sensitive material). My supervisor went to FedEx and the problem was solved. ;)

There's a reason UPS calls itself "big brown". Cuz it's a piece of crap!! :angry::laugh

hey syber. if ya intrested I got alot of 1/4" stock.I can cut ya some at different lengths and send 'em to ya in a gift bag.Just let me know what lengths ya want,and yer addy.If ya interested.Happy Bending. :D

pexter,

Yeah thanks! Here's what I need now: 10", 8", and 7". I am trying some stock on 1/4" that I have and nothing is happening. :( So, thanks for your help. My email addy is: Sybersnott@yahoo.com.

Email me there and I'll give ya my snail mail address.

OK Sir Snoty, I am wrapping it up again with some pony shoes. They are sooo cute. :blush Sending it US Mail to the addy you gave me. If it come back again I am ripping the box open and bending everything in it at one sitting. Then take three month off to heal.