Much Needed Bending Recovery

JaredWith1R

What do you do to help your hands recover from a grueling climbing session?

A powerball, stress ball, dexterity balls, finger walks (un-weighted), etc. may all help with recovery.

What do you do to help your hands recover from a grueling climbing session?

A powerball, stress ball, dexterity balls, finger walks (un-weighted), etc. may all help with recovery.

Honestly after a tough climbing session, my problem is usually my skin. If I feel it in my hands, I take about a day or two and I'm good to go. This has proven to be MUCH more taxing than even my most strenuous hangboard workout

Rest is one thing. You want to balance progress in one direction with the contraspecific in the other. Push/pull. Think of all the directions you can move the body. Now think of the ways you actually move the body.

So do volume work with G until you notice callouses and toughness forming. Then H then I then try a PR.

So obviously I know everyone is different, but in your experience, how much volume does it take before you see callouses? Again, this is sort of a lack of understanding of the scale of bending. As far as I know, it could be around 25-30 bars, or in the hundreds.

Again, thanks for looking out for us rookie benders.

Well this is a very tough question. I have found it varies hugely on what you eat, physical activity and your job. A good example is this: a computer programmer that eats dirty will have a much harder time than a guy who eats clean and hits the gym. However a mechanic or laborer will always have tough hands. There are a few things that helped me. The number one being Tuf-Foot. That helped me so much. Chalking my hands helped and olive oil helped. I have found that olive oil ingested will help skin retain its elasticity, so skin rips happen less often. Now I don't really have callouses, it's more like scar tissue. Either way it works for me. Sometimes I rip chunks out of my fingers and it takes two weeks to heal and another two to toughen the area again. So I will say 4-6 weeks before you notice anything dramatic.

So do volume work with G until you notice callouses and toughness forming. Then H then I then try a PR.

So obviously I know everyone is different, but in your experience, how much volume does it take before you see callouses? Again, this is sort of a lack of understanding of the scale of bending. As far as I know, it could be around 25-30 bars, or in the hundreds.

Again, thanks for looking out for us rookie benders.

Well this is a very tough question. I have found it varies hugely on what you eat, physical activity and your job. A good example is this: a computer programmer that eats dirty will have a much harder time than a guy who eats clean and hits the gym. However a mechanic or laborer will always have tough hands. There are a few things that helped me. The number one being Tuf-Foot. That helped me so much. Chalking my hands helped and olive oil helped. I have found that olive oil ingested will help skin retain its elasticity, so skin rips happen less often. Now I don't really have callouses, it's more like scar tissue. Either way it works for me. Sometimes I rip chunks out of my fingers and it takes two weeks to heal and another two to toughen the area again. So I will say 4-6 weeks before you notice anything dramatic.

From my climbing, I've noticed it will usually take 8-10 sessions before I get my heavy callouses back, but those are only on my fingers at each knuckle. It's a much smaller area for the force to focus on, and climbing holds are meant to be high friction, which speeds up that process. I use Climb-On hand salve bars for recovery when it gets real bad, or when I have torn blisters or breaks.

So far from bending, I think my skin has been holding up pretty well. Not even so much as a blister or cut, I find its usually the pain in my palms that makes me end a session. I always chalk my hands as much as I can, I guess just because I'm used to it from climbing.

I'll keep an eye on it once I get back to bending in, oh about 4 weeks or so. All good information to have anyway. Thanks as usual.

The Palm is a tough place to start with. You'll never get any significant callouses there. However the meat will get thicker and that takes some time. And I know the exact spot you are talking about. Right above the heel in the center. It's very soft tissue there. You could experiment with the gripper crush, it's the crush I always use. That helps alieviate some pain. I experimented with table slaps when I was still learning, they helped me toughen the palm and the meat got a little thicker. I'm not entirely sure If it rely helped or if it was a placebo effect. Either way I would do them again if I needed to.

The Palm is a tough place to start with. You'll never get any significant callouses there. However the meat will get thicker and that takes some time. And I know the exact spot you are talking about. Right above the heel in the center. It's very soft tissue there. You could experiment with the gripper crush, it's the crush I always use. That helps alieviate some pain. I experimented with table slaps when I was still learning, they helped me toughen the palm and the meat got a little thicker. I'm not entirely sure If it rely helped or if it was a placebo effect. Either way I would do them again if I needed to.

I am a full supporter of the placebo effect. I don't care if it's really working or if my mind is making it work, as long as it works. Also, what are table slaps? Like literally just slapping a table?

I currently do the gripper crush since my grip training basis is in grippers. I find that most of my pain comes from the sweep, exactly in the spot you mentioned, because that's right where I put the ends of the bar. Sometimes, if I'm feeling too much pain, I'll move the bar in towards my chest and try to locate the ends on the base of the thumb pads, but that doesn't usually help too much, pain wise.

I'm glad I'm able to really break down my technique like this, I know it will be nothing but helpful.

Table slaps are just lightly slapping a table until your hand stings a bit. That's all.

Table slaps are just lightly slapping a table until your hand stings a bit. That's all.

Aptly named. I may need to try that.