Went For An Edgin And 6" Red In Imps

king crusher

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words on the progressive cutdown bends! It's pretty cool to see this being revisited after 9 months.

I doubt he will ever cert (he is for the most part a private guy), but I know for a fact that what I typed out in this thread about 9 months ago is the same routine that a guy I call "The Viking" (tongue-in-cheek, because he is on the shy side, but built similar to the immortal JPS) recently used right after I e-mailed it to him on behalf of a mutual friend of ours. I didn't actually know him at that point. We don't live in the same hemisphere even, so we still haven't met. But he sends me the occasional form update video and a quick e-mail every few weeks.

The mutual friend is a former 5" Red Nail bender. "The Viking" went from a beginning bend (with the requisite horrible form) of a 6.5" Red Nail in double pads (two pairs of IMP) to a 5" Shiny (from a very hard batch of FBBC Stainless I mailed out in 2007 or 2008).

He doesn't have much time to train - that is a big understatement. 5 kids. A wife. A super stressful job. So he kept it about as simple as you can get and just used Stainless-303 in his training.

He doesn't have much time to train - that is a big understatement. 5 kids. A wife. A super stressful job. So he kept it about as simple as you can get and just used Stainless-303 in his training.

Crap, I hit submit too soon. Can't edit it now, but I'll add to that final thought. He used Stainless-303 exclusively. That wasn't my idea, but he had access to a ton of the stuff apparently. I don't know the details, but he said he had ordered enough SS-303 to last a "lifetime." I jokingly said it depended on which bender's lifetime he was talking about. Some are low volume. All the way to massive volume. I don't care too much about his warmup (to be blunt), but I guess he does two 1/4"x7" SS-303 bars in single IMPs. Then gets on to the meat of the workout, where he uses double IMPs.

It's worth noting that the 5" Shiny he bent (from the batch of FBBC Shinys I sent the mutual friend years back) is a pretty remarkable bend. That particular batch of Shinys was noticeable harder than a Triangle Edgin. I, and several elite benders I sent a few to agreed on that. My best on this hard batch of FBBC Shinys was a 4.75" Shiny. Done right around the time I certified on the Fantastic. A week before that (4.75" Shiny) bend, I blew through a Mag Hex like it was butter. In something under a minute. And I wasn't a powerful (speedy) bender.