Bending Progression Question

dansweeney

Hello everyone. I've been off it seems like forever with injuries and have just recently started bending again. I'm only doing Reverse as it seems to transfer to my grip in Jiu Jitsu better than any other style. I'm at the point where I can bend a 7" 1/4" Hex, but I'm not sure what would be the next level of difficulty. Maybe smaller drillrod or perhaps a 6" Grade 5?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Try 1/4" stainless

• Like 2

Hello everyone. I've been off it seems like forever with injuries and have just recently started bending again. I'm only doing Reverse as it seems to transfer to my grip in Jiu Jitsu better than any other style. I'm at the point where I can bend a 7" 1/4" Hex, but I'm not sure what would be the next level of difficulty. Maybe smaller drillrod or perhaps a 6" Grade 5?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Dan, glad to see you back! I like the 1/4" Stainless recommendation, but it's pretty expensive. At least it was when I was bending. 1/4" Hex is pretty stout steel though. I used to buy it from the hardware store and it was as hard as the Triangle 1/4" 6" G5s. And the 1/4" Hex is MUCH cheaper than 1/4" Stainless and/or 1/4" G5s. You will get a lot more bang for your buck with 1/4" Hex is what I'm saying.

You could always do volume work for conditioning. This is what I tell everyone. Volume work makes your strong physically and mentally.

I'd get some 1/4 inch square steel as well. A lot of it depends on how tough your particular batch of hex is. You might try some 1/4 inch G5 bolts because some of them are a decent step up from the 1/4 hex but as Ben pretty much said, the tougher 1/4 hex is right there with the "lesser" G5 bolts.

Some of the 5/16 zinc plated steel would be a reasonable step up from the 1/4 hex.