Left Turn Grippers - Strength Compared To Regular Spring

Jedd Johnson

I made a video covering my findings so far on the Left Hand grippers for anyone who might not have tried them yet.

While I certainly anticipated that the reverse wound spring would make the grippers more difficult for the right hand to close, I wasn't sure how much more difficult. I was surprised.

I talk about this in the video as well as some other things as well.

• Like 3

Man I gotta get a couple of these. And they look cool. I can't do crap with my left because you're right, it feels like crap. So what numbers do these come in

So when someone tells me that they can close a "regular" Number 3 with their "left hand", that is one really strong left hand!

Edited by Hubgeezer

There is a youtube clip of Martin Arildson being about 1 mm away from closing a #4 with his left hand with a MM set (he closed it right hand).

did you rate the left turn #3 as compared to the 182# 3.5?

Not yet. I pretty much only rate my grippers when someone sends me theirs. Just have had no time for additional ratings. I am sure the gripper doesn't rate much more than 151.

Half a step difference on the IM scale is just about where I am as well, can close easy to mid-strength #3's with a 20 mm block right hand and mid-strength to hard #2.5's with my left. Train both hands equally hard. Always thought there was something wrong with my left hand coordination for gripper closes as the gripper would always slide a bit. Interesting observation.

Great information, Jedd. Thank you. While my left hand is indeed not as strong as my right, I have often wondered why there is so much of a difference. Now I know one reason why, at least as it pertains to grippers. For me, it is commonly one full IM gripper of difference.

My best close left is my hg300 which I can tns with right. I will get a couple of these sometime. The black looks cool too

Very intriguing stuff, this would explain why I continue to be about one level stronger with the DH Vulcan lefty. Been like that since I got the Vulcan, however, it took over a year and a half longer to consistently shut a 3 lefty.

So my offhand crush is actually at or above my right, having been subjected to years of having to train slightly harder than the right with the same grippers... Very cool, never really thought about this.