Warming Up...gripper Observation

Chops

I have been using a "pyramid" gripper training similar to Chez for a few months. I have gotten a lot stronger and I consistently close mid 140 grippers.. All mashmonster set. I have about 25 grippers starting at a Coc 1.

At thanksgiving I tried hard to get my brother into grip training and sent him home with my coc1.....uggghhooo boy.....

I trained (or i should say "tried" to train) grippers three or four times after that. I had some golds gym grippers to try and warm up with, i tried warm soaking water, partial closes with a coc.2.....Even when i felt I had done a fine job warming up to proceed to the next gripper, I had massive loss of strength. Even if I was repping the number two the same as always, or even spent a little extra time on it, I just could do nothing to reach for my near max closes. Without a coc1 to warm up with, MY 1RM WAS 119!!!!!!!!

So, feeling this was a terrific reason to grab a new gripper, i purchased a coc .5. The day that it came in the mail I trained grip and grabbed a new PR of coc3 @ 147!!!!!!!!!

Here is what I am gleaning from this....We all know that warming up is essential....We all have our ways to do it. But, for the guys trying to close a 2.5(which was me a few months ago), or even the coc 2. Maybe it makes sense to try and use as many grippers as are available, and there are quite a few, to ramp up in a similar way. Buy a sport, guide trainer, whatever it is....not just the one gripper under the one you can close..

This is mostly geared to the guys trying to close a coc2, or 2.5 i guess.... But i thought it was worth sharing this, and would love to see if anyone gets some added poundage out of it.

Im going to take my own advise and buy some more grippers ; )

Todd

• Like 5

This is very jnteresting, i will give this a serious shot cuz my gripper strength absolutely sucks, thanks Chops!

Hey, what do you have for grippers. Maybe try it and post your results.

Nice PR dude. Warming up is, especially in grip sport, one of the most important and painstaking things that needs to be done in training to not only prevent injuries, but ensure peak performance as you are seeing. When Kody and I trained, we would spend at least a good hour on the warmup and general full body exercises before doing remotely heavy. I'm glad you're realizing this early in your grip training, good observation!

Nice PR dude. Warming up is, especially in grip sport, one of the most important and painstaking things that needs to be done in training to not only prevent injuries, but ensure peak performance as you are seeing. When Kody and I trained, we would spend at least a good hour on the warmup and general full body exercises before doing remotely heavy. I'm glad you're realizing this early in your grip training, good observation!

Thanks.

I am better and better about warming up. I can only imagine how much faster I or anyone could progress with grippers with little tid bits of info like this.

It's like you're talking directly to me. I guess I need to get a few more grippers, too....I've got the T, 1, 2 and 2.5. Maybe a 1.5 or something similar.

Can you tell me some more about your warm ups for grippers? Going for that MM0.

I have to say after a 4 month stint from grip my endurance is still lacking...but with no warm ups i was able to PR on a 151 #3 LH and close a 157# RH. I personally do much better with minimal warm up...may 10 quick hits of a 1.5 prior but thats at most!!

I have to say after a 4 month stint from grip my endurance is still lacking...but with no warm ups i was able to PR on a 151 #3 LH and close a 157# RH. I personally do much better with minimal warm up...may 10 quick hits of a 1.5 prior but thats at most!!

Wow...Thats basically the complete opposite of my experience. One major difference could be that you have more all-around grip strength and also I assume more strength over-all. I have not lifted weights for ten years and train no other grip. I should have included that info in my post.

Congrats on the PR. Looks like your close to MM2!!!!

It's like you're talking directly to me. I guess I need to get a few more grippers, too....I've got the T, 1, 2 and 2.5. Maybe a 1.5 or something similar.

Can you tell me some more about your warm ups for grippers? Going for that MM0.

I was doing 2x10 with coc.1

2x5 with coc2

now i do 4x15 with coc .5

3x5 with coc2

then i do singles with about ten grippers up to my PR

then as many single with my max as i can handle, maybe 10

then heavy holds......

seems to be working so far.

I share Luke's experience too.

If I'm feeling "warm" then I can walk up to anything with no warm up at all and match a PR.

And even when I do a warm up, my warm up attempts are unusually high... 135 would be my gripper max, but I start my warm ups at 105.

Same thing applies to all grip lifts and gymnastics/bodyweight movements for me. PLs are a different story though.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a little late as far as a reply but this only refers to grippers only. All other grip events; 2HP, axle, block weights, sledge choke/pickaxe are the total opposite. As I warm up and get some blood in the lower arms I will get better. So my statement is only partially correct.

I couldn't agree more, Chops.

I have completely forgotten how I warmed up some years ago when doing my MM0 cert. I probably did a couple reps with my #1 and then maybe a #2 close and then went straight to the #3. I wouldn't even think of touching my #2.5 before attempting/closing that #3 haha. It's rediculous how I could even think about doing it like that when thinking about it now. On the other hand I was sooo fired up before every gripper workout, in a whole different way than I am nowadays. Anyways, using lots of grippers to build up to a max close is a good idea in so many ways. It minimizes risk of injury, makes your muscles work under optimal conditions, and it gives you lots of confidence before that max attempt. Based on how my #2.5 and ghp6 feels during the warm up I always know if I should go for a max attempt or if I should stay and go for reps on that #2.5 or ghp6 or whatever.

This is a little late as far as a reply but this only refers to grippers only. All other grip events; 2HP, axle, block weights, sledge choke/pickaxe are the total opposite. As I warm up and get some blood in the lower arms I will get better. So my statement is only partially correct.

You bring up a good point. I forgot about pinch. Lol

My pinch warms up very slowly, and I probably won't be able to lift 80% of my pinch max on the first few tries.

On grippers though, I was able to walk up cold to a #3 and match my PR squeeze, ditto on plate curls and axle. Pinch is a different beast for me.

i think what this thread shows it that it's important to try new things and not accept things as gospel. I got a really big boost to my 2hp when I cut way back on warm ups. 50/100/150/170/200 was good for me and help me a lot on the higher attempts. with gippers I feel like it takes me a lot longer before I can even squeeze hard, aside from closer bigger grippers.

I've noticed ramping up is important as well however there is a very fine line on spending too much energy with lower grippers. You really have to find where you peak for a max attempt. Kind of funny how some days you feel like you will hit the PR before you even start or if one of the lower grippers closes really easy while other days you might feel hot before hand but just don't have it at all. Other days you may not feel 100% but hit the PR anyway. Weird.

• Like 2

Chops, its good that you've caught on to it early because not many people make threads asking about how to warm up, or say what they do to warm up. i also soak my hands in warm water, i find this really helps lubriacte all the joints in my fingers/hands/wrists. it must draw the blood into the hands well because mine always look much more vascular after 5 minutes of doing this.

after that i do the ramping up with the grippers.

3-4 sets on the trainer. between 7-10 reps

about 4 sets on my #1.5 (i dont have a #1) singles then doubles.

2 sets on my #2....

.....then into my working set.

this all must take about 15 - 20 minutes. i rest for about 45-60 seconds between sets.