New To Bending With No Lifting Experience!

JaredWith1R

Unlike (I assume) most of the Grip Training community, I am not coming from power lifting or any lifting of the sorts. I know there are a few rock climbers in here, so I was wondering how training has affected climbers/non-lifters differently than the traditional strongmen out there.

I can't expect to progress as quickly as guys that are lifting in addition to bending. Will I just end up hitting a plateau when my overall strength becomes a problem? Same goes for grippers.

Any tips for this situation? I would think there are others with the same concerns.

Thanks, videos to come.

• Like 1

The bending will make you stronger, theres always bodyweight training, my kink skyrocketed when i was focused on one arm knuckle pushups.....my 2 cents

You'll need to lift. Not necessarily bench but you need narrow back pulling power and chest strength. I did it without actually having a bench to train, but you will need to mimic the bending motion as well as contra movement. Gripper crushes is an option. Also while bending will make you stronger, it also takes more of a physical toll then lifting

I would suggest light volume in IMPs

Edited by Mike Sharkey

You should first lift weights to build balanced bodily strength then transition to bending or in the least challenging bodyweight exercises. If you just bend you'll more than likely just be building imbalances rather than strength.

Where you push, you must also pull.

• Like 2

Stop worrying about this hypothetical situation. Just bend. When you hit a plateu, ask some one more experienced how to get over it. I have found 3 great ways to bust through. But don't worry about it until it happens. You might get hurt, sick or bored before that happens.

• Like 2

You'll need to lift. Not necessarily bench but you need narrow back pulling power and chest strength. I did it without actually having a bench to train, but you will need to mimic the bending motion as well as contra movement. Gripper crushes is an option. Also while bending will make you stronger, it also takes more of a physical toll then lifting

I would suggest light volume in IMPs

That sounds like pretty good advice. My rock gym at least has a fitness center, so I can add some sort of benching. I get a lot of pull ups in, and try to train grippers about equally with bending. Plus some extensors work. I got a lot of A and D stock, which seems to be a good warmup and light bend for me so far. And only IMPs.

Thanks for the help.

Stop worrying about this hypothetical situation. Just bend. When you hit a plateu, ask some one more experienced how to get over it. I have found 3 great ways to bust through. But don't worry about it until it happens. You might get hurt, sick or bored before that happens.

This is also very helpful advice. I have recently hit a plateau in my climbing, and am trying to do work to get through that, so I suppose it has made me cautious. I have been happy with my progress in bending so far, so I am glad to keep going with it.

Thanks for the help.

Is there any reason why i dont lift?Strong grip aint do nothing without a strong body.

This is true for grip. But bending is different. I can bench 130lb Dumbbels until I can't lift my arms. Next day I'm sore but not too bad. I could bend 7 edgins in a row and I'm no good for days. Chest, shoulders back arms are tore up for days. You use muscles bending you don't normally use lifting.