Olympic Plates

the swiss

could someone please tell me which olympic plates brands actually have a "smooth" side? I am considering (finally) ordering some plates but would like to be able to do some pinching with them.

thanks

david

All Olympic plates that I have seen, have a smooth side. It is more a matter of thickness of the plates and the type of finish, paint and so on. Of course price has to play a part also.

thanks for the reply OldGuy!

not really easy to explain the plate sellers that I need plates with a smooth side and a not-to-slick surface!

david

Swiss, in your country, what is available are far as Olympic plates are concerned? Would you be prepared to go to the expense of having a few plates shipped to you from another country?

OldGuy,

Over the weekend I found some 45# plates that you could use as a sort of Farmer's Walk. Yeah, I know... 45# plates aren't much, but hey you could double use them (for FW or regular Oly weight plates).

They are called Marcy MAX plates - the Oly size plates. I went to a website and they had them for 19.95 per plate! Downside was shipping cost; more than double the cost per plate. If you can go to a local distributor, buy a pair... they are really nice. I'm going to get some soon! :)

I haven't found any plates here YET, but from what I have heard, people don't have them available, you need (when it is possible) to order them. This is why I ask.

I am unsure about shipping cost, but I will definitely NOT order from USA. maybe Europe. I'll see what I find!

Snott, I have heard some french guy say the marcy plates were orderable from france, so I might try and find these ones. These plates do have a smooth side, right?

thanks

david

David,

The Marcy MAX plates do NOT have a smooth side, but almost any other Oly plates should!

David,

At the risk of sounding patronising, have you spoken to any gym owners around where you live to see where they got their plates from? Most standard facilities should have at least some Olympic plates - unless you meant Bumper plates?? I wasn't aware that Olympic sized plates were likely to be that rare in Switzerland?

Edited by The Mac

The Mac,

yes, I have been to a few gyms. The problem is "serious strength oriented" gyms are pretty rare around here. There seem to be a lot of fitness gyms, and they do not have oly plates. I am just looking for plates with a 2' hole and a smooth side.

thanks for the advice though.

still looking!

david