Good Axle Lift On 200lbs Bw?

Norden

What is considered a good axle lift if you weigh 200lbs?

Also, the implement I'm using is a regular steel pipe that has a diameter of 48.5mm, instead of the 50.8mm (2") of the ironmind axle. Would you think/say this makes a noticeable difference to the lift?

I have seen a podium WSM finisher fail at 396 lb. on the Axle. I have seen guys who deadlift 600 lb. fail at 280 on the Axle.

Depends on a number of things. If your hands are under 7.75 inches, I would call 300 "respectable". If they are 7.5 inches, I would call 300 "good".

No idea on the smaller diameter. 10 lb.?

Double BW is considered the goal to aim for!

My goal on any lift is just more than I can currently do. It serves me well. Small gains over time equal big gains over the long haul.

• Like 2

I always weigh in the neighborhood of 200# and have 7 5/8" hands. My best competition lift on an actual 2" Axle (IronMind) is 356# - best training is 380# or so. A 1.9" Pipe Axle is worth about 10# over a 2" one. I agree that 300# should be your first goal and is certainly a nice lift at 200# BW. Hand size certainly comes into play here big time. As does the simple ability to do a regular bar DL with 400 or so pounds (and more is certainly better here) - a large reserve of DL strength really helps.

• Like 1

Good-300

Great-350

Awesome-380

I disagree about any definitive statements about the difficulty of a pipe axle - other than when all other things are equal, the thicker bar may take a few pounds off your lift.

All other things are not equal, though. Pipe axles don't season in the same way that IM axles do, and I in fact pull about 10lbs more on an IM axle. Pipe axles also have some variance in thickness.

Perhaps treating them as the same thing in training is the best way to go.

• Like 1

My goal on any lift is just more than I can currently do. It serves me well. Small gains over time equal big gains over the long haul.

Double bw axle lifts are world class territory. There are only a handful of double bw axle pullers out there. And to my knowledge, even the heavyweight world record holder cannot pull double bw on the axle.

Im not at all saying that isnt a great goal, or even a doable one to achieve. But dont ever think your a slouch on the axle if you dont pull double bw.

At 200lbs, im in agreement with Yori.

300=good

350=great

380+=totally awesome

400 truly sounds like an elite lift, so I'm glad I don't need to have that as my first goal, haha. Feels a bit like having the super elite or #4 as your first goal gripper. 300 sounds like a great goal to aim for! 1.5 times my body weight.

Edited by Norden

I always weigh in the neighborhood of 200# and have 7 5/8" hands. My best competition lift on an actual 2" Axle (IronMind) is 356# - best training is 380# or so. A 1.9" Pipe Axle is worth about 10# over a 2" one. I agree that 300# should be your first goal and is certainly a nice lift at 200# BW. Hand size certainly comes into play here big time. As does the simple ability to do a regular bar DL with 400 or so pounds (and more is certainly better here) - a large reserve of DL strength really helps.

My hands are 7 7/8", so they are not huge, but I guess they're not too small for lifting big weights on the axle.

Good-300

Great-350

Awesome-380

I disagree about any definitive statements about the difficulty of a pipe axle - other than when all other things are equal, the thicker bar may take a few pounds off your lift.

All other things are not equal, though. Pipe axles don't season in the same way that IM axles do, and I in fact pull about 10lbs more on an IM axle. Pipe axles also have some variance in thickness.

Perhaps treating them as the same thing in training is the best way to go.

Cool, thanks Yori! I really like your numbers there. 300 is something I should be able to lift in about 2 months, and 380 sounds like a good lifetime goal.

I'm sure you'll have 340 before long.

Glad those guidelines could help. I'm constantly thinking about numbers, and have reasonably good metrics for all weight classes in many lifts.

I use Wilk's formula to figure out how 'good' I am compared to others in the main competition lifts. If you simply use bodyweight ratios then the lightest lifter, all other things being equal, will always get the best ratio.

For example, and no offence Yori, Kody and Yori score similar body weight ratios in pinchlifting but applying Wilk's formula it is plain obvious that Kody is still miles ahead of everyone else in performance.

Having said that Yori still scores very high even after application of the Wilk's formula and so do heavier guys like David Horne even though his bodyweight/lift ratio is considerably lower.

I think hand size in thickbar lifting only make sense if you consider the wrap of all fingers and not just the longest one.

None taken, Mikael. I think your mention of the wilks formula here led me to start using it for many things a few years ago.

Since I haven't many fellow athletes under the 74k mark, my goals in competition are to out-wilks kody's pinch, matt cannon's grippers, and Andrew's thickbar. To the best of my knowledge I have been right up there with the former two when I lifted in AZCG, pinching 158 and closing 118 at a BW of 49kg. Nowhere near close on Andrew's thickbar yet.

I really like this formula and have been able to eyeball it spot-on when I write lists of "good" and "impressive" lifts and then input them into a wilks formula.

I like this formula :). It makes me look better.

Malone-Meltzer Age Coefficients

Edited by climber511

Yori, I simply used the weight class boundary body weights for comparison, not the actual weight of the lifter. Kody, for example, could probably score even higher on the Wilk's formula if he avoided trying to make the most of a given weight class (by weighing close to the limit). It may be moderately meaningful comparing your Wilk's scores if you ignore weightclass boundaries but everyone else pay attention to them (by aiming to weigh in just below the weight class boundary). Probably more meaningful if you use weight class boundary weights (eg 59k) for comparison.

Yori, using the more meaningful weight class boundaries so we compare apples to apples, you have not yet out-Wilked us in the 1HP :)

It also shows how far ahead Kody is.

1) Kody Burns 35.29

2) David Horne 31.16

3) Mikael Siversson 30.83

4) Yori Skutt 30.72

I must apologise profusely for the blatant hijacking of the thread.