Emsquared

I was just wondering what a decent lift on a

2.5" smooth barbbell would be. I can do 270lbs. Pic

will be in my gallery as soon as wannagrip adds

it.

Matt

Edited by Emsquared

Guest gripmaster316

very nice!!!!! Matt. Where the hell did you get that barbell, is it custom made???? And I was just curious what makes a good leverage feat? I saw Josh Bigger doing 50 some odd pounds on the heavy hammer. Is that very good???

Thanks

I am not sure what a good lever lift is,

as I do not work with levering much, yet.

As far as the Bar goes it is BC's you can ask

him where he got the bar from. The bar

itself weights, 110lbs :blink It is heavy all

on its own, but the 270lbs is my PR for right

now I hope to work up to 300lbs in the near

future.

Matt

Edited by Emsquared

gripmaster316,

his arm was not quite parallel to the ground..so it wasn't quite a 'perfect' leverage for the purists.A real leverage(or one way of doing it properly)the arm must be parallel with the ground.

However JUST holding 50lbs PLUS out in front,at an angle slightly less than parallel,arm straight,elbow locked and with the wrist levered back is VERY difficult.He has actually done 65.5lbs in this movement.The stress on the front delt(s),elbow and wrist is beyond my comprehension.he has also leveraged back a 20lbs sledge with an extra 5.5lbs on it.He DOES do the sledge with arm parallel to the ground.

I have strong wrists,can lever back a 16lb sledge and can't dublicate HIS,slightly less than parallel arm leverage feat with even 37.5lbs.on the Iron Mind thick hammer.It also takes some grip to hold on to the thick hammer,even with just 37.5lbs.Just me attempting the 37.5lbs incapacitated my shoulder and elbow for OVER a week(and I can seated shoulder press 135lb dumbells for reps,)I thought i tore something off my shoulder and hyperextended my elbow.

i am just guessing but i think IT(the leverage with 65.5lbs on an Iron Mind Heavy Hammer )even with the arm not quite parallel is a fairly unique ability.

Come to think of it?I think it would be tough for even some grip practitioners to do this with 2 hands?I may try it some time.

If you were viewing the gallery?and saw the eagle loops lift?he has done that with over 500lbs...with the fingers of one hand.Wrist Roller over 400lbs.

He has 'retired' from grip work and we no longer train together.

Emsquared,

Sorry to get sidetracked.But waht sort of a rolling thunder maximum do you have?you've probably mentioned it but I forgot.

Are you able to curl the bar empty?or have you tried it.Reverse curl the bar?

That looks like a good challenge.

Tom of Iowa 2, my rolling thunder max has just

increased to a little over 200lbs, I have not tried

to curl the bar yet, or reverse curl it. Good IDEA

though I will try it.

Matt

Guest gripmaster316
his arm was not quite parallel to the ground..so it wasn't quite a 'perfect' leverage for the purists.A real leverage(or one way of doing it properly)the arm must be parallel with the ground.

You are right, his arm is just slightly not parallel with the ground. Once I saw this I had to start working on it. Right now I can do 30 lbs. (I made the bar out of dumbell, so the handle isn't thick like the heavy hammer. Hopefully, I can work to what Josh Bigger can do. Also, why did he retire? An injury? He wasn't being challenged enough? If I were him I would continue and perhaps even make records. 500 pound deadlift with the eagle loops? Who in Gods name can even attempt that???

Edited by gripmaster316

Sorry to hear that Josh no longer does grip work. He has some real potential-but I guess the bug doesnt bite everyone-only us guys who have to work our butts off for every little gain :D !

Rick Walker :rock

Atomic Athletic has rotating Olympic bars in sizes from 1 3/8'' all the way up to 3''. PDA is the place to go for solid thickbars of all kinds. It's possible to rig up a bar using pipe, but you cannot beat a solid steel work of art from PDA.

Rick,

Retire at his age ?perhaps me just being over dramatic. :blink I believe that it has a lot to do with time and priorities HIS schedule.He just doesn't have the extra 1.5 to 2 hours a week for the specific grip work.

Something had to give.

i.e.Full timePhysical labor job,and over and above that: farming(busy time of year now),2 young kids,bills,compared to me he has a real life :laugh .He also has some other goals that may end up being fun to watch anyway.His training priorities has just changed.

With his 5 day a week,high volume combo of power lifting type exercises combined with HEAVY bodybuilding type exercises and now push presses,etc....i don't think he'll lose much grip anyway.He had more grip before he started training then i have now...i guess that goes without saying. :laugh:laugh But... at this moment it....it's just sad to me. :cry

Gripmaster316,

The above answers one of your questions as well.

The pain on HEAVY eagle loops is just mind numbing...I CAN verify that....he says he doesn't feel anything.You have to have a pretty good 'back'to go THAT heavy also.i think he was no where near his maximum on any of this stuff.

All those photos in the gallery were taken just 3? 3 1/2? months after he started training.A complet newbie.

Right now?he's 25? years old.He's only been training -weights and grip-for 11 months...he'll be back.

Emsquared,

Just the 'visual'of that heavy monsterous bar made me think about how cool it would be to curl it. :ohmy

i've posted this before but we took bent(useless)olympic bars.Took an end off.Slipped in some heavy gauge pipe.Welded it.Put the end back on and you still have the

strength of the bent 'oly'bar underneath the pipe..plus..for better?or worse?(depends on how you look at it)you still have the revolving sleeves at the end.

Gyms don't want or need the bent bars.Dangerous i guess.so they are scrap.Call around.Free or cheap.

Guest gripmaster316
The above answers one of your questions as well.

The pain on HEAVY eagle loops is just mind numbing...I CAN verify that....he says he doesn't feel anything.You have to have a pretty good 'back'to go THAT heavy also.i think he was no where near his maximum on any of this stuff.         

All those photos in the gallery were taken just 3? 3 1/2? months after he started training.A complet newbie.

Right now?he's 25? years old.He's only been training -weights and grip-for 11 months...he'll be back.

Good God!! 11 months of weight training??? I am just curious did he ever train with the grippers??? That picture of him doing finger holds with 600 lbs. might translate into closing a 3 if not the first time, maybe the second or after a warmup??

Edited by gripmaster316

Grippermaster 316,

He closed a #3 the FIRST time he touched it and without any gripper training.No set.Heres the story:After about 4 1/2 months of grip work(NO grippers he was NOT really interested in them) and weight training He went to a strongman contest in Illinois.The INCH replica was there and the Millenium.

His elbow was bothering him and his middle finger sort of numb from the elbow injury but he went anyway.He deadlifted the INCH replica.Did not get the Millenium.A guy on this forum was a there.(Board name 'Animal Cage').he reportedly handed Josh some Grippers and he shut the number 3.He said it was "like squeezing gr#$e :inno "very EZ.

He has shut my number #3 for multiple reps and shut the IVANKO in the tough position,first try.Before he 'quit'grip training he never really got into the grippers although would pick mine (i got mine just about 6? or 7weeks ago?)and play with them.Reps and holds.

He recently did a 1/4 squat with i believe?1565lbs,deep thickbar front squats with somehwere around 425#,partial dead from exactly 23 inches with 1150# for 2 reps and on 'arm day'did reverse grip benches(his favorite tricep exercise) with somewhere around 415 or 425 for a few reps. He also,recently bench pressed the 186# dumbells for a couple of reps .He has long arms and is not'built'for pressing and of course has only been lifting weights for LESS than 1 year.He'll do more.

We used to train together but aren't at this time.Work out s with him were like going to an amusement park.he has some unique goals for strength and hopes to begin strongman training when he brings his base power "up" :whacked:whacked He can outrun(sprint)anyone in the gym for 25 yards and has an amazing vertical.

oh yeah,since the pic was taken he has increased the weight of the finger holds to over 700lbs.Again he recently stopped all the grip stuff.

Isn't it funny how a simple question, can get moved

so far off track, sometimes it would be nice to just

have a question answered, instead of it being

led off to another topic. Just my opinion but

there is a lot of none related posts on this topic.

Thanks to the ones that gave a little input :D

Matt :blink

Matt,

After carefully studying the pic, it looks like you are pinching that bar instead of lifting it (look at your right hand). Wow, that is awesome! :bow

Emsquared,

Sorry.ABSOLUTELY My fault!!He IS new and younger than me.I should have started a NEW topic.and moved on.

BTW i did find the original subject interesting ,responded to it and it has lead me to trying to build an even thicker bar.Perhaps a 2.75. Just got distracted.My trainign sucks at this moment.

I do have a 3" homeade bar made from pvc

with an inner pipe loaded with cement, bare

weights about 70lbs. I am working on seeing

what I can lift on that, and will post some

pics soon.

Matt