Hrs Question

Tank Andrade

At the moment my DO bending is in the between " blue and red " stage. I have bent a 1/4" square, G5 and 9/32 drill rod. Red is still a ways off, but was curious as to how much easier 5/16 HRS would be than CRS ? is this a good next step ? thanks fellas

True A36 hot rolled steel will be much easier. For instance, a 7 inch piece of HRS calibrated at 250 pounds whereas a red will be well over 400 pounds. Your 9/32 and the 1/4 inch square will be much tougher than true hot rolled.

Now the stuff marketed as hot rolled at the box stores is not actual hot rolled and it's much tougher. I had a 7 inch piece of that calibrate at 380 pounds which was the same as their cold rolled.

You have several options. Drill rod is a good option and one that will be recommended to you a ton by most on this board. It's the current trend you might say but there are lots of options.

Easier batches of CRS are also an option. Current reds cal'd at 450 pounds so I tried to stock some 5/16 that hit 420 pounds as it's a good last step.

Some 1/4 inch square can be pretty tough so you might not be way off from a Red.

I meant to ask, have you bent a G8 bolt?

• Like 1

True A36 hot rolled steel will be much easier. For instance, a 7 inch piece of HRS calibrated at 250 pounds whereas a red will be well over 400 pounds. Your 9/32 and the 1/4 inch square will be much tougher than true hot rolled.

Now the stuff marketed as hot rolled at the box stores is not actual hot rolled and it's much tougher. I had a 7 inch piece of that calibrate at 380 pounds which was the same as their cold rolled.

You have several options. Drill rod is a good option and one that will be recommended to you a ton by most on this board. It's the current trend you might say but there are lots of options.

Easier batches of CRS are also an option. Current reds cal'd at 450 pounds so I tried to stock some 5/16 that hit 420 pounds as it's a good last step.

Some 1/4 inch square can be pretty tough so you might not be way off from a Red.

I meant to ask, have you bent a G8 bolt?

Thanks Tim it was your bending log that got me thinkin about HRS actually. I have been going the drill rod route so far. Havent attempted a G8 yet as the G5 was a new pr a few weeks back.

It can vary quite a bit. I've seen some tougher than the average Red and I've had some 5/16 HRS that I could bend bare handed it was so soft.

- Aaron

• Like 1

Thanks. It is really fun stuff to bend, don't get me wrong but size for size it's on the light side. Now once you bend the red nail, you will probably be able to come close to bending 3/8 by 7 inch HRS. I think that calibrated at 450 pounds - about the same as a red - but the crush is worse since it's such a larger steel with a wide bend radius.

In the fatter sizes, it's fun to bend because you can actually hear the cracking sound it makes when it starts bending.

• Like 1

I second Tim and Aaron on the HRS.

If your lookingto bridge to the red, you may also consider a 1/4"x7" SS square. If i remember correct, those are only just easier than a 1/4"x6" G8. Either of those can be found in most local hardware stores, where as the drillrod is a bit tricky to find/order.

never thought of stainless thanks Tommy

At the moment my DO bending is in the between " blue and red " stage. I have bent a 1/4" square, G5 and 9/32 drill rod. Red is still a ways off, but was curious as to how much easier 5/16 HRS would be than CRS ? is this a good next step ? thanks fellas

I bought 5/16 HRS from the home depot by me and it was a nice stepping stone to the red. Closer to red and than a blue but still easier. It feels different though. Easier on the kink. If you want, I'll buy a rod and you can try at king kong.

• Like 1

If it's the steelworks stuff then it's definitely closer to a red. Usually hits around 380 pounds. Calibrated their cold rolled and it hit the exact same amount.

I've never figured out what makes it hot rolled in their mind because it behaves more like cold rolled.

The 1/4"x7" Square (if it's FBBC stock) is way harder than a G5. And harder than a G8. If we're talking 1/4" G5s and G8s. You are probably closer to the Red than you think in other words. Drill Rod (O-1) is awesome. The guys at my local Fastenal got to know me by name from all my steel purchases.

• Like 1

About the strength of 1/4 squares, I think it's just down to steel varience between different batches. I also remember the 1/4 squares as being harder than the average G8. Usually when people could bend the squares cut to 6" they were ready to bend the bastards and red nails.

• Like 1

I agree about the square. I've got some 5/16 square that's crazy insane tough. Significantly tougher than normal 3/8 CRS.