Rolling Thunder To Inch Conversion

Sean Dockery

I've been wondering how far I am from lifting the Inch. I just did 3 singles in the RT deadlift with solid 5 second holds at 150 (not counting the apparatus). What kind of weights were y'all using in the RT when you made the Inch deadlift?

I have tried a Inch personally but I talked to Wade Gillingham a few months back and he said if you can do a solid 230 on the RT you should be able to lift the Inch.

From what I read in a post awhile back, someone said that 230 on the RT is about what you need to pull.

L.J.

YIKES! Looks like I've got a ways to go.....

Thanks

That sounds about right :angry: , I recently did

200lbs to almost a full lockout on the RT,

not counting the loading pin, carabiner or handle, and

I can pick the Inch up about 6 inches off the

ground. I will be there soon :cool

Matt

here's my program:

Rt dead 7X1 (with 5 sec hold)

Thick Bar reverse curl 3X5 (2" dia bar)

IM Pinch Block 3Xhold

I do this workout for both hands Tues, Thurs and Sat. I know it's not exactly broad based, but I'm just training for the Inch right now(I figured focusing on thumb strength was the key). I'd love to hear critiques of this program. Be gentle, and please remember that it's an Inch specific program.

I'm no expert on the Inch but out of all the guys who lifted it almost all had good pinch grips to. So my guess would be to keep working the pinch hard. I would say try to stand on an elevated surface when doing the RT because the Inche's handle is much lower to the ground and getting elevated might help you in getting use to the Inche's greater range of motion and longer pull.

I would say try to stand on an elevated surface when doing the RT because the Inche's handle is much lower to the ground and getting elevated might help you in getting use to the Inche's greater range of motion and longer pull.

Hmmm... that made me think of something... I wonder if someone consistently trained the RT from an elevated surface (so that the ROM was similar to that of the Inch) if we'd see the 230 RT poundage needed to lift the Inch drop down to, say, around 210 pounds? I'd think that the added ROM would have to have some effect...

BC.

Just use a very short loading pin, and try to make the total length of the RT plus pin as little as possible. Then you could find out after training this way for a while, if there was any transfer of strength to the low to the ground Inch lift. You could if need be also stand on a low platform.

Guest gripmaster316

Homemade rolling thunder?? If you have a standard 1.25 inch revolving 45 pound barbell you can make your own RT. Just put the barbell on the ground (you'll only need to focus on one side of the bar) and put 150 pounds of plates on one side. Then spread half the plates a couple of inches so it looks like a dumbell. And voila you have a 150 pound dumbell with a 2 inch handle that revolves.

This homemade version is a lot tougher than an actual RT just because the weight is on the sides of your hands and not below your hands . :rock

Edited by gripmaster316

This homemade version is a lot tougher than an actual RT just because the weight is on the sides of your hands and not below your hands

No it's not! First, the handle is only 2" wide and the Rolling Thunder is 2 3/8". I think I've done five 45 pound plates on one end of an Olympic barbell (225 plus part of the bar) and I'm no-where near that weight on the Rolling Thunder. "gripmaste316" do you even own a Rolling Thunder to make this comparison?

Guest gripmaster316

No I don't own a RT. Instead of taking 5 45's try 6. Then split them in half so your hand is in between them, then try it. Lifting at the very end of the barbell is much easier. Lifting in between them is much harder.

stay strong :rock

The difference between the circumference of the sleeve of an Olympic barbell, which is less than 2'' diameter, and the circumference of an RT handle which is 2 3/8'' diameter is huge as far as grip is concerned. What you describe has very little in common with lifting on an actual RT handle. There would not be much if any crossover benefit. Like Tom Black I have done a huge variety of things, with a great deal of experimenting on this subject.

Guest gripmaster316

Let me explain this simply. Lets say you have 400 pounds on your olympic barbell (the sleeve of my barbell is two inches by the way) Just concentrate on one side. I don't think people understand what I am saying. Yes it is easy lifting the end of the barbell with 200 pounds. However, DIVIDE the plates evenly (it doesn't matter if you are off by a plate) so you have a sort of dumbell. Put your hands in between the plates. Now try to lift it. It is a lot harder. I have done about 190 pounds on the Rolling Thunder (not my own) and I can barely lift 150 pounds in this manner.

do people understand me now?????

stay strong :rock

Edited by gripmaster316

The concept and performance of the lift makes complete sense to me- little else of what you've said does though.

BC.

Guest gripmaster316

I am going to try to post a picture of me doing this because people don't seem to understand what I am saying.

I also understand what you said and i agree with you when you say that it is easier to lift the weights when gripping the end of the barbell. Now how it does compare to a RT lift can only be determined by comparing the poundages you use on both apparatus (which you said you did ;) ).

I'll wait for the pic from Gripmaster316 ???but IF the bar is 2 inches ther is NO comparison anyway.

The extra 3/8inch is quite a bit for hands UNDER 8 inches.

Also the Rolling Thunder is designed to 'roll'..i suppose it was designed/invented to be used as a practice device for the 2 3/8" handle of the 172# INCH replicas(which are actually 2.47inches :blush ).When it was first marketed i suspect there were very few INCH replicas around.

It now is a fairly'standard'test.

The INCH replicas or solid dumbells- with that size handle- want to "roll"out of your hand.You can feel it want to rotate right out of your hand!This rolling motion can be countered with thumb and wrist strength....for those of us with 'normal'hands :cool Old Guy(and other such quasi simian mutants)just grasp,squeeze and lift.... :blink

The Rolling Thunder seems to be an inexpensive implement to practice on -for those without access to solid dumbells.

I can break our 181# off the ground a few inches....my Rolling Thunder is OVER :whistel 200lbs...

I'd say good rule of thumb is 230#plus on the Rolling Thunder before betting a full lift of the INCH.but there will undoubtedly be exceptions to the rule.Especially those with an INCh may never even get up to a 230lb Rolling Thunder...because they don't need to... :erm i.e.they CAN specialize on the INCH or SOLID dumbell itself...

Intersting?>???? Mobsterone has unofficially got a 282lb Rolling Thunder(pic in the Gallery)and is one of two men to get the 228lb,2 3/8"handle MILLENIUM dumbell...so perhpas a 275 or 280 on the Rolling Thunder will make you 'good to go'on the MILLENIUM.... ;)

Guest gripmaster316

Yes the 3/8 of an inch does make a significant difference perhaps I embellished. However, the sleeve of my barbell does rotate, which makes the lift difficult.

Intersting?>???? Mobsterone has unofficially got a 282lb Rolling Thunder(pic in the Gallery)and is one of two men to get the 228lb,2 3/8"handle MILLENIUM dumbell...so perhpas a 275 or 280 on the Rolling Thunder will make you 'good to go'on the MILLENIUM.... ;)

If thats the case with the MILLENIUM I wonder how Brad Gillingham would do with it I heard hes good for 270 plus on the RT.

I would guess Brad G. and Pfister in theory have an excellent chance at lifting the Millenium Dumbell off the ground.Wade also...Perhaps?not a full deadlift though!?!

Of course the 275 or 280# minimum Rolling Thunder number is just a theory of mine :cool One of my many :laugh

But IF a 225# Rolling thunder is a good guesstimate of the minumum 'requirement' of a full INCH deadlift?

225# is what?25% more than 172#?

Then- if following the same percentage guidelines? somewhere around a 300 on the RT would be a good guesstimate of the minimum to lift before the Millenium is fully deadlifted????300 is about 25% more than the 228 MILLENIUM?eeek...thats a load...hopefully my percentages are off....or the Theory is incorrect :unsure ..But?? mobster is around the 282 on the RT and can't do a full deadlift with it yet(no disrespect his lift is an incredible feat! :bow )so maybe a 300plus Rolling Thunder would be the required number for Millenium deadlift..?

Last thought..(beat it to death)specialization on the INCH replica might mean an athlete would never have to go so heavy on the RT?ditto the Millenium....? :whacked

If you can practice with the 'real'deal such huge RT lifts might not be part of the 'conquering equation' :yikes