Old Report? Of No.2 Failures

Tom of Iowa2

Stumbled upon this web site,perhaps??? he is a board member under a different name?

so maybe this is old news?obviously it wasnt' this year but amazing how many 'big names*'he handed off his #2 gripper to...and astonishing how many couldn't close it. :blink WOW!

cool report :cool IF you haven't already read it already.

www.web.pdx.edu/~psu13443/crush.html

(Anthony Clark,Ed Coan,kovacs,many body builders,couldn't close it.....and Manfred H.-closed the #2,#3... post car accident :bow )

Possibly old news to some??but plenty of new people/members may not have seen it...I just found it myself :ohmy

I believe that report was first printed in the June 1997 issue of Milo.

Oh...Ok....Thanks.

Still amazing that all these dudes couldn't close a #2...hopefully other 'newbies'will get a kick out of it.

Were #2's tougher in those days or something?

I guess if it was all the way back in 97 they could have been?Sounds like(according to what i have read)they are a tad easier now....still i'd think they could have closed a #2...not that i'm making fun of them :yikes

I dont know if the #2's were harder back then or not. I guess I'm not surprised the bodybuilders couldn't close it because I think alot of them use straps. I'm sure theres been some exceptions though. As for Ed Coan I think his grip is plenty strong for what he needs it i.e. holding on to 850 deadlifts.

Funny this should come up as I was talking to someone on another forum about this very subject the other night. I emailed Greg Kovacs some time ago, and he told me that someone did indeed give him a #2 to close and he couldn't close it.

I bought my original grippers right around that time, and yes, they are tougher than the ones put out today IMHO! ;)

In an old Power lifting USA Coan said he did one hand lockouts in training. He said he used around 450-500lbs.

Trying a gripper for the first time is not easy, especially without a set. I am sure that Coan and Clark could close the #2 if they got into groove. At least todays #2s :tongue

I wonder how the reporter would feel if, after having handed Coan the #2 and watching him fail, Coan had turned him around, pointed to a 800lb barbell lying on the floor, and politely said "Now, you try that!!"

As for Clark (and this is just off the top off my head) I think his max deadlift is around 750lbs - his hands are quite small and (from pictures) look to be VERY thick.

If the report is true, I don't find it that suprising.

Edited by The Mac

Guest gripmaster316

I read this article a couple of months ago and I was awestruck. I emailed IM about this and they responded the next day. They said that deadlifting, benchpressing etc. gives you a strong supporting grip. If these big names Coan, Clark etc had never trained there crushing grip before than they said that it was not likely that they would close a #2 for the first time. I bench press 300 pounds and I could barely close the #1 at first and definitely not close the 2. Its just like with pinch grip. If you can close a #3 don't expect to pinch 2 45's if you have never trained your pinch grip. So whats the moral?? You must train your supportive, crushing, and pinch grip separatly. The reason why Manfred could close the 2 and 3 was because he was a strong man and obviously must have trained his grip vigorously.

stay strong :rock

Edited by gripmaster316

I guess i've seen several guys get the #2 first time/first touch,I my self closed a #2 first shot.... and of course without being too redundant :inno (sorry) i have met two men that closed the #3 first try(Josh Bigger and Ken Blackman) and another(Joe Bigger) missed the #3 by a whisker.

So it really shocks me that Coan in particular couldn't get it.

I've seen him in person.He has long arms,big hands for such a small man.

I think after kicking this around the key is labor or athletic back ground...or at least it is a significant part of the men that ARE able to close #2(#3) easily....FREAKINESS helps but Clark,Coan and even Kovacs ARE freaks :yikes

All the guys doing well on the #3 and #2(that i have met) are usually both weight trainess and laborers or labor back ground.Some non weight trained older laborers did well also.Some highschool experienced or college experienced wrestlers did well on the Grippers also....but even those guys had done some construction and/or farm labor also.Still i am shocked at the report...having seen so many others handle the #2 but...however??with careful analysis of their back grounds????perhaps that is the key?(i imagine..hate to stereo type,but? ..but it's probably been awhile since Kovacs or Clark were out'on the jobsite swinging a hammer???'and Ed Coan?"Ed when you get done rebuilding the John Deere ..could ya finish those last 40 acres...make sure ya got enough weights on that front end" NNaahhh?can't see that either :laugh:laugh

Old guy,

Just curious.Why don't you believe the report?

I suppose there is room for question...again especially Coan?

I guess it has to do with tendons and ligaments quite a bit. I've had my #1 and #3 at highschool during the football season and no one got even close to the #3 except for one of the coaches who plated football for the Wisconsin Badgers and was drafted by the Falcons he had it to about a eigth of an inch. Another former coach and teacher tried he played college football and was a big farm boy. Hes in his 50's and is 6'3'' around 270 with big hands wrists and large vascular forearms he put it done to about a half inch. Recently I brougth the grippers to school again one of my bodies who got a scholrship to play college football couldn't close a #1 and hes 6'3'' 300 and very strong and powerful. Yet another one of my friends who doesn't play sports or lift weigths at all and can mash the #1 for reps. Hes about 5'11'' and weighs 160. As for his job helping him with hand strength I doubt it he works at a arcade part time.

yes .we've had some suprises on the grippers too.

I hand em out left and right.had a skinny,drunk guy in his late 50's i believe- damn near close a #2 at Walmart one time.He was retired laborer.Forgot what he did....A guy in a bar got 5 reps with the #2(big laborer/fromer football player-but it had been 10 -15 years since he "suited up" :blink )

One of the better grips in this area belongs to a guy that is a bodybuilder...has very long hands(9inches) he closed the #2 with 3 fingers,no set first shot.couldn't get the #3 but had no idea what to do with a gripper anyway.he is an R.N.,(registerd nurse,but did wrestle for 8 or 9 years as a kid)does no phyical labor and his Rolling Thunder is up there with Josh Biggers.Go figure?(he is 6'1, 305 but kovacs is a larger specimen and couldn't close a #2...sooo...????)

Ken Blackman,started for the Bengals for 2 years...when i met him he was 6'6" 340plus.He attributed his forearm/hand strength to working at a slaughter house and working on the farm.Said he never lost to anyone in the NFL arm wrestling.....i didn't even know he close a #3..until another board member(John Wood) remembered that his(johns0father saw ken "click"a number 3 first try.....He was strong in the gym too.worked out at the gym i workout at for about 6?8?weeks....

On the opposite end of spectrum.A good friend of mine and 2002 Iowa Golden Gloves Heavyweight champ(boxing of course)and also 3rd degree black belt.Stacey Wiegert can't even close a TRAINER???He can power clean 285# at 6'1.5",189lbs(good for a boxer)...again..go figure.

The lady that owns the gym closed my #1,she had been a bodybuilder but hadn't worked out hard in years.She weighs 150lbs?? :blush

When it comes to natural grip there are as many questions?as answers...but i think labor back ground is helpful.I think the guys that work with their hands at least figure out what ot do?or how to close a grippere faster than some....but then Sean?the R.N./bodybuilder..doesn't do a damn thing with his hands... :blush that i am aware of. :laugh

(Dave morton,who i don't know personally..reportedly closed a #3 a week after he got it and is down pretty close on the #4??was/is an electrician)

I guess there are alot of factors having to do with grip strength. Something I thought was interesting though was my football coach who played for Wisconsin and did well with my #3. He thougth alot of his grip strength he has now is from a drill they use to do in colege called the finger buster or something like that. They would take that punt machine that launches footballs 70 plus yards. They would point it down and the tight ends and receivers would take turns standing in front of it about 10 yards away. They would crank the distance on the machine up and you would have to try and catch the ball. He said that he rarely dropped them.

I was skeptical of the article. Maybe it was the old silver spring 2? I just can't see Coan or Clark failing at a modern 2...

A few years back, an older fellow at work challenged me to a hand shake match. He wasn't that big. It kind of surprised me. Anyway, I bet him but he had a great grip. He then told me he was 71. I was a bit imbarrassed. If I'd know that, I'd probably lost on purpose. He said he got his grip strength milking cows. When he was younger he said he could pin the hand ergometers (we was at the time and then working at a hospital with access to them). About a week latter, I brought him a medium strength 2. He closed it with only moderate effort...

Strong Man:

The #2 gripper probably took me around 4 months to close :cool, and I'm half an inch from closing the #3, but I remember the first time I tried to close #2 and let me tell you it wasn't a pretty sight

I think after kicking this around the key is labor or athletic back ground...or at least it is a significant part of the men that ARE able to close #2(#3) easily....

Meant to say: 'after kicking this around the key(beyond genetics)is labor or TYPE of athletic back ground....or at least it is a significant part of the men that ARE able to close a#@(#3(easily........

i was alluding the TYPE of athletic back ground...not just HAVING an athletic back ground... to wrestlers as an athletic back ground with good grip...perhaps throwers too.(shotput,discus,hammer)

training or coaching has an impact too.Our wrestling coach had us do 'towel'tug of war for grip..and for those that could(pleading the fifth here)towel pull ups.

I have heard of this drill being used by offensive lineman too.

whoops...put my new message in the quote area of the post.

don't want to retype it so HHH-EEE---RRR--E goes nothing...

John I see your looking at this post and was wondering if your father ever montioned Tim Krukrie trying a #3 or Tom Laputka? I guess both had incredibly strong hands.

I mean Krumrie not kr.ukie

Guest gripmaster316

Having an athletic and labour background may help, however I have a friend who has been a farmer for about 10 years and has been playing football for just as long. I handed him the #1 and he could not close, he could almost get the handles parallel with the two and I won't even mention the 3. I think there has to be something else, but I am not sure what.

stay strong :rock

Edited by gripmaster316