How Far Can One Get In Grip Without Powerlifting?

truth1ness

I used to do deadlift and squat but due to an accident and some injuries it's rather uncertain if or how much I'll be able to go heavy on these again. I've heard people here make comments here along the lines of you shouldn't even bother with grip training if you're not powerlifting first. Now I love training grip and I'm going to continue no matter what but it is a little disheartening to read and basically I'm curious what is possible for someone who doesn't go heavy on the 'big 3' or similar free weight or heavy strongman type lifts. Obviously I know I'll be limited on the lifts with really high weights like vertical bar, etc, but what about things like grippers, pinch, etc? Do any of you not actually powerlift but train grip and get far?

I don't want to go into detail on the injuries here, but what I am currently doing for full body is more of a traditional bodyweight program. Pullups, inverted rows, pushups, dips, etc. For lower body I use a rowing machine and some lighter movements like lunges, etc. When I do use weights it's for things like curls or a db overhead press or db row and will be trying out swings soon. I was really a novice when I was lifting, only got up to around 270@180 when I had to stop. If I can get back into it at some level that's ideal, but I'm just wondering what others have been able to do without power lifting or other very heavy weight bearing movements like strongman stuff.

I think it helps for sure but I'd also look at climbers and their grip. They're typically not going to be training like a powerlifter and have amazing hand strength. I think just being overall strong in any of its variations is good. It can't all be just about the hands.

• Like 2

There are many ways to become overall strong. Bodyweight training, kettlebells, steel bending, stone lifting, sand bags..... powerlifting is only one way to do it. I think that powerlifting exercises are recommended because they are so well known and "simple" to do.

If i say you should do squats, everyone understands what i mean. But if i say you should do sand bag training everyone is asking for clarification.

• Like 1

I used to do deadlift and squat but due to an accident and some injuries it's rather uncertain if or how much I'll be able to go heavy on these again. I've heard people here make comments here along the lines of you shouldn't even bother with grip training if you're not powerlifting first. Now I love training grip and I'm going to continue no matter what but it is a little disheartening to read and basically I'm curious what is possible for someone who doesn't go heavy on the 'big 3' or similar free weight or heavy strongman type lifts. Obviously I know I'll be limited on the lifts with really high weights like vertical bar, etc, but what about things like grippers, pinch, etc? Do any of you not actually powerlift but train grip and get far?

I don't want to go into detail on the injuries here, but what I am currently doing for full body is more of a traditional bodyweight program. Pullups, inverted rows, pushups, dips, etc. For lower body I use a rowing machine and some lighter movements like lunges, etc. When I do use weights it's for things like curls or a db overhead press or db row and will be trying out swings soon. I was really a novice when I was lifting, only got up to around 270@180 when I had to stop. If I can get back into it at some level that's ideal, but I'm just wondering what others have been able to do without power lifting or other very heavy weight bearing movements like strongman stuff.

I think if anything, powerlifting, and heavy deads, bench etc. has hurt me with my grip training. Especially with recovery. Grip-specific training, though, has helped me a lot with powerlifting though. There are a ton of beasts in grip that probably wouldn't have huge lifts in the "big three."

• Like 1

If you intend to compete deadlifts are a must. Axle can be severely limited by your back strength.

If you want to just strengthen your hands, rolling thunder will do this just as well as axle would. No DLs required.

I think that doing the big testosterone producing lifts definitely help BUT look at these mechanics and blue collar guys that have ridiculously strong grips without ever having touched a barbell or a gripper. So no, I don't think it's 100% a necessity. I say do what you love and train the exercises that give you no pain. Enjoy strength training and most importantly, enjoy your life. We only get one lap around the proverbial "track."

Not a requirement but powerlifting will make the grip gains come faster. I was strong in my early 20's when I was still throwing in both powerlifts and Oly lifts before a bad back injury finished that. I stopped training altogether for the next 9 years and only recently had started some general training again when I found grip training in 2006. I've training them some here and there but my back has been pretty limiting and My best lifts since the injury in DL on an Oly bar is still less than half what I DL'ed at my peak and still 40# less than what I clean and jerked in college at a similar BW. Squat even lower percentage wise. I've still managed to do pretty good in grip though. Just takes longer and more focus without the major HGH and test producing lifts like Squat and DL helping out.

- Aaron

Tommy Heslep didn't have the build of a powerlifter, yet his grip was... good :D heh heh.

I also undersand Joe Kinney only safety-bar squatted in terms of powerlifting (so not really PL), for high reps, and also got pretty far. So I'd say one can get far if I had to guess.

Power lifting and strong grip is not mutually exclusive. I've met power lifters where the combined 'big 3' is 1700+ and I have crushed their hands. However on the other side of that, my giant 14 year old neighbor picked up my blob like it was a can of soup.

Power lifting and strong grip is not mutually exclusive. I've met power lifters where the combined 'big 3' is 1700+ and I have crushed their hands. However on the other side of that, my giant 14 year old neighbor picked up my blob like it was a can of soup.

Damn you should get that on video he would probably be the youngest guy to lift it

Also I think some strength training-which I'm assuming you mean by powerlifting- will benefit your grip more then doing no strength training.

I have done fairly well in my weight class and don't really lift heavy--and I never back squat ever.

From 2006 through 2011 I trained grip lifts exclusively and got pretty good and many lifts. My pinch strength was never really awesome though. Axle I've always been limited by my bad back, but I deadlift often at moderate weights (for me) to keep my back as healthy as possible.

Having said all that, I totally agree that the stronger and more powerful you are overall, the greater capacity to perform in grip.

You don't say how big you are and that can matter as to how much "heavy" is. You do have to be "strong" to do well in contests - but the 3 "power lifts" aren't the only way to get there. They are certainly good lifts but if you cant do them, you can't do them, so find a way that you can do and do that - the DL is probably the only exception due to the Axle (make your back strong other ways but practice the "skill" of the DL and you'll be fine). I only do the actual DL a few weeks out from a comp for example. As you stated certain things are going to be limited. Think about the most common grip contest events - Some kind of grippers (no body strength limitation really) - 2 HP - the WR is 270# so not a significantly heavy weight for we mere mortals - Axle DL is the most common contest event where body strength is sometimes a problem (you aren't going to DL 350 on the axle if you can't do it on a regular bar for example). The sledge choke is held with a 14# sledge so body strength is not involved. Medleys can contain some items that might be limited but usually most items are not that overall heavy. Blobs are 50# - the Inch is 172# and one handed so that might be a limiting lift by overall strength levels. It is what it is and you'll have to deal with it but there are plenty of ways to become very strong without the big 3 so to speak - gymnasts and climbers come to mind right off the bat. Look at the NAGS records and see what the records are for your weight class - then see what "decent" lifts would be for your class - if you can lift that weight on a regular bar, then it will all come down to your grip strength. Good Luck.

Don't let what you can't do stop you from doing the things you can do.

Some Armwrestlers do no lower body work at all.

Take Tarras Ivakin, I bet he has some serious grip strength, he has no leg development whatsoever.

Edit:

No disrespect meant.

I'm a fan of Tarras.

Edited by honk