What Can Cause Grip Strength To Bomb

charlieb59lutton

last week i was making killer progress i smashed the 6-6 hard spring on the rb adjustable and did was a hair from closing the ghp 7 and closed the hg 300 for a few reps this week im back to struggling with the 5-5 and can only come close to closing the ghp 6 i dont understand i thought i would be closing the ghp 6 for multiples and using the 5-5 for reps the only thing i can think thats wrong is i burnt my hands with a half hour long session with 20lb indian clubs with the extra thick grip but i didnt think it would still be effecting me still is it normal for grip strength to fall off that much

Stress, lack of sleep, shitty eating, shock to the CNS, dip in testosterone levels will all increase your cortisol. This is the hormone that makes you weak and fat. Your cortisol levels may be higher this week.

Or

You could just be having an off week and you need to rest.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 5

Rest up and give it a few days.

When your CNS gets shocked it can take weeks to recover. After every bend I shake for a few hours after. After a huge pr bend or pr lift, I get a cold or my body acts like its fighting a cold. Give yourself a week of eating like a pig, sleeping and watching tv. You will come back stronger.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 4

When your CNS gets shocked it can take weeks to recover. After every bend I shake for a few hours after. After a huge pr bend or pr lift, I get a cold or my body acts like its fighting a cold. Give yourself a week of eating like a pig, sleeping and watching tv. You will come back stronger.

I agree and have experienced the same thing. After my MM3 certification (which took everything I had), I was sick for a week.

Train harder, do extreme negatives , increase workout duration ,intensity and frequency and work till you bleed ,so you won't have to "worry as long "why your hands are giving out you will be burned out hurt and finished. Coax your hands don't kill them , the first to recover ....wins.

• Like 3

Train harder, do extreme negatives , increase workout duration ,intensity and frequency and work till you bleed ,so you won't have to "worry as long "why your hands are giving out you will be burned out hurt and finished. Coax your hands don't kill them , the first to recover ....wins.

Yeah..... Then have crippled hands. Be so sore you can't hold a fork or wipe your own ass. You need to build up to this.

I really hope this isn't serious advice. Over training is not the solution here.

• Like 2

I also get like this but what I have figured out is due being dehydrated, increase your water intake and see what happens (can't hurt)...not sure if that is the problem with you but thought I would offer my advice

• Like 1

Please read what I said in the first part of my post was restating ( not good) things "I have heard suggested "to do that ENDED budding grip careers.

In my second part of that post I pointed out what in my opinion sustains progress and hand health. Sorry if any due to my writing became confused on how I feel on the issue.

• Like 1

Charlie-

It's normal to go backwards sometimes... Anytime you add something new or go overboard, your body has to adapt- and sometimes things degrade while you body is prepping for the next thing you throw at it.

Yeah..... Then have crippled hands. Be so sore you can't hold a fork or wipe your own ass. You need to build up to this.

I really hope this isn't serious advice. Over training is not the solution here.

I think Richard was poking some humor towards the balls to the walls training approach that some have followed. Heavy negatives and thousands of squats, gallons of milk drinking overdoers who are ruined but recommended this stuff to others.

Sometimes less is more... Rarely train grip to failure

Rest up. I know for sure when I bend a lot my CNS is shot and takes a long time to come back. I did poorly at grip nationals Mainly because I had been doing lots of DO bending in IM wraps. Tends to kill my grip for everything other than bending.

Please read what I said in the first part of my post was restating ( not good) things "I have heard suggested "to do that ENDED budding grip careers.

In my second part of that post I pointed out what in my opinion sustains progress and hand health. Sorry if any due to my writing became confused on how I feel on the issue.

Thank you for clearing that up. It was tough to determine what was serious or hear-say and what wasn't in that post.

Sorry to confuse you.

I just have seen bravado and excitement hurt others and myself. As Adam Nelson Olympic champion said if he didn't learn to gauge ,turn on ,and turn off "the madness" he would have died long ago.

Nothing has drained me like bending, Rest and food like EJ said.

For myself im what you would call extreme i train grippers everyday

but im crazy. Do what works for you man.

Hey Charlie have you tried 5-3-1 or any similar training designs?

Search it on the web if yer not familiar with it.. its a great program & can be applied to grip training fairly easily! I'm 47 & still compete with these young-bucks... works for me!

Good luck bud!

• Like 1

ill give it a go i haven't really used any grip training routine i just use the Neanderthal method grab one that feels tough if its too tough drop down do as many as i can go back up and try tge hard one again if i still cant get it do some heavy negatives for the ego boost lol

Everyone will eventually find their own way in this sport - but no one said there wouldn't be some bumps along the road. Sounds as if this is the first time this has happened to you - believe me when I tell you it won't be the last. Over the years I have seen too many "flash in thee pans" so to speak. Look at training as a distance race - not a sprint. Those who try to go too far too fast are usually injured, burned out, and gone from the sport in a fairly short time period. Don't let that happen to you, you have to allow time for recovery and more importantly over compensation to occur or progress will stall or stop. There are people with the recovery ability to train hard all the time and recover - but most of us cannot (especially clean) - there is a real difference between training hard and training hard smart - learn how to know the difference.

• Like 3

I also agree with above, I have to say i

Heal extremely fast and can endure pain

to the highest limits, but foreal you need to

just chill and heal you will grow and hit new

PR long as you love what your doin.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed in the first few months of gripper training that my grippers followed a wave. Grippers would improve for several weeks in a row followed by a decline. I changed the way I planned my gripper training to 3 week cycles and made quick progress. I would use the build up weeks to practice setting and the third week for max attempts, reps/1rm.

Take a look at your training log and see if there are any repeating trends you can take advantage of. Chez has a good video on Gripper training.

All the best.