Democracy In Action

Mike Sharkey

Guys, the moderators took the time to hear our concerns and set up a new and so far very effective system for cert lists on the GB.

I wanted to wait until the current 3 polls had enough votes to pass them to write this, but its kind of astounding to me that the each video thread has between 50 - 100 views, yet there are only 20 or less votes. Do we not want to be involved in the process? Wouldn't you want people to take the time to vote on your lift? This is a small community of people who are supposed to be supporting each other in our endeavors. Take the time to vote. Takes less than 60 seconds.

Mike

• Like 2

Don't the polls get shut down at 20 votes but the video is still able to be viewed?

Does the thread view counter count total individual viewers, or total number of views no matter who the user? If the latter is the case, it could just be that the same people who are voting are viewing the thread multiple times.

Edit: EJ posted as I was typing, but I was going to mention his point also.

Edited by Billy Jack

they don't automatically shut down. so, some of that is me going back and checking how many votes have been cast. I think it keeps count after it's locked. that wouldn't explain high counts while voting is still open though.

Does the total view count also count guests? You'd be surprised how many lurkers are on the gripboard. Sometimes I'll see that 5 guests are viewing my training log and think that's kind of both cool and creepy.

• Like 3

I often look at threads on my phone, then come back on laptop and watch the video& vote.

Then come back to see progress.

• Like 1

Vote for/on what, where :)?

Im lost

Nvm!

Foundation it :)

I clicked it 3 times and it stayed at 106 views. I think it may only count each person, not each specific view.

Is the video linked to YouTube? Maybe the count is also from various YouTube viewers?

I think this is a great topic that could use further discussion. I think the feat judges previously did a thankless job. It is not easy.

Previously there were a limited number of judges, so rulings and interpretation of rules were on a much more limited scope. Perhaps there was behind the scenes discussion over many topics. I do not know.

I hope Tom and Nate won't mind me using their contributions for example. I viewed Tom's KB lift while it was still open to voting and did not vote. After watching the video, I went to the records forums read & reread the rules for the KB lift. Then I watched the video again and again. In the video Tom easily completes the lift (@Tom, lift something heavy/challenging already :) ). The lift looks like technique work, 70-80% and if the following were issues were of consequence he could easily offer a correction. At the beginning of the lift the the hand used to stabilize the KB does not achieve *"optimal" separation before initiation of the lift and on the second hand during the decent, he drops the KB the last few inches.

Is this Correct? Does it even Matter? I did not want to red light the attempt because I lacked the knowledge to judge effectively.

* completely my opinion

In Nate's attempt, the weights are displayed, the Dbs are lifted to a full lockout, returned to the ground, and control is demonstrated throughout. This is an easy white. (@Nate, um... where is that Blob by the face lift at?)

What criteria should we be using to cast our vote? How should I interpret the rules for each lift?

Do the lifts require contest level judging scrutiny or is this a friendly peer review achievement?

I apologize as these issues may have been discussed already and my intention is to further improvement, not to start arguments or complain.

Voting is a responsibility, and it ain't easy.

Thank you.

Josh

• Like 1

I think this is a great topic that could use further discussion. I think the feat judges previously did a thankless job. It is not easy.

Previously there were a limited number of judges, so rulings and interpretation of rules were on a much more limited scope. Perhaps there was behind the scenes discussion over many topics. I do not know.

I hope Tom and Nate won't mind me using their contributions for example. I viewed Tom's KB lift while it was still open to voting and did not vote. After watching the video, I went to the records forums read & reread the rules for the KB lift. Then I watched the video again and again. In the video Tom easily completes the lift (@Tom, lift something heavy/challenging already :) ). The lift looks like technique work, 70-80% and if the following were issues were of consequence he could easily offer a correction. At the beginning of the lift the the hand used to stabilize the KB does not achieve *"optimal" separation before initiation of the lift and on the second hand during the decent, he drops the KB the last few inches.

Is this Correct? Does it even Matter? I did not want to red light the attempt because I lacked the knowledge to judge effectively.

* completely my opinion

In Nate's attempt, the weights are displayed, the Dbs are lifted to a full lockout, returned to the ground, and control is demonstrated throughout. This is an easy white. (@Nate, um... where is that Blob by the face lift at?)

What criteria should we be using to cast our vote? How should I interpret the rules for each lift?

Do the lifts require contest level judging scrutiny or is this a friendly peer review achievement?

I apologize as these issues may have been discussed already and my intention is to further improvement, not to start arguments or complain.

Thank you.

Josh

* completely my opinion

Thank you.

Josh

Look at the rules, do your best to interpret them (they are not complex), and vote. It is as simple as that.

• Like 4