5/16 X 7" Hrs In Imp's

Frank Pizzo

I got off work early today so I decided to do some bending and grip. I warmed up with some small stuff and a couple of Grade 5's. I tried this same size bar last week but with CRS and was only able to get a small kink. So I decided to buy some HRS because its a bit easier and have a go at it.

It seemed to take me a while to get the bar in the "sweet spot" but once I did it went down pretty fast. This is the first piece of 7" steel I've ever bent so I need more practice at this length to find the right groove.

The bend felt considerably harder than the Grade 8 bolt I bent on Sunday, but I don't know if that's because its longer or because I used much less padding, or the steel is actually harder than a Grade 8, or all of these, or some of these lol? I checked grip ratings and didn't see a calibration for HRS so I wonder if anyone knows off the top of their head about what this might weigh?

As always comments welcome, and thanks for taking a look!

Switching from 6"-7" will feel very different and it's something you have to train to get used to buddy if you want red the most obvious advice is sticking to 7" but glad to see you killing the longerstock now bro!

Way to stick with it! When you got your elbows up you were able to kink it easy. Nice motivation from your wife too lol

Depending on the type of hot rolled steel it vary alot. Real hot rolled steel which is A36 calibrated at 250 pounds at 7 inches years ago which doesn't sound like alot but at 7 inches, it feels much different. Now, if what you bent was the "weld steel" that's sold at the box stores then that calibrated as high as 380 I believe.

Real hot rolled steel is messy with a scale that flakes off as you bend it. I can't watch the vid right now but I will be able to tell by the bend radius it makes.

Real A36 hot rolled steel in 5/16 size is becoming harder and harder to get.

Depending on the type of hot rolled steel it vary alot. Real hot rolled steel which is A36 calibrated at 250 pounds at 7 inches years ago which doesn't sound like alot but at 7 inches, it feels much different. Now, if what you bent was the "weld steel" that's sold at the box stores then that calibrated as high as 380 I believe.

Real hot rolled steel is messy with a scale that flakes off as you bend it. I can't watch the vid right now but I will be able to tell by the bend radius it makes.

Real A36 hot rolled steel in 5/16 size is becoming harder and harder to get.

Thanks for the info Tim, I did indeed buy it from the welding section at Tractor Supply Company, and there was no flaking during or after the bend. I'll check back after you view the video to hear your verdict. Honestly it didn't feel all that much different than the CRS I tried last week....the biggest difference was that I stayed with it instead of last week I gave up after 2 or 3 hits.

Way to stick with it! When you got your elbows up you were able to kink it easy. Nice motivation from your wife too lol

Thanks Tom...I'm glad you pointed that out because I watched over and over to see what the difference was between the first few hits when nothing happened and that last one when it started to finally give...and yeah my wife has a special way of motivating me lol!

Switching from 6"-7" will feel very different and it's something you have to train to get used to buddy if you want red the most obvious advice is sticking to 7" but glad to see you killing the longer stock now bro!

It feels a lot different Josh, and thanks for taking a look man!

Major Flaw in my posting....this steel is 3/8 HRS not 5/16!! Sorry about the confusion.

Nice work! 3/8" is a stout bend. Have you tried any 5/16" CRS or 7" drill rod yet?

Disregard my last post please... it is definitively 5/16...my bending stock got mixed up and I had to remeasure everything...very, very sorry.

Great bend Frank!

7" is a different beast to kink in comparison to 6".

Way to fight through it and come back to melt it.

Frank,

If it was the steelworks stuff, the cold rolled and hot rolled calibrated virtually identical.

I really don't know why they call it hot rolled steel because it's definately not. Real hot rolled will make a very wide "U" shaped bend.

Here's a pic in my gallery of real HRS:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=5224

What you bent is much tougher.

Good work frank. That thing did have a very wide U shape to it when bent. I've never seen that from like drill rod for instance.

Nice! In addition to getting your elbows up, you went from leaning backwards to leaning forward/down to get the kink. This was an important technique point for me when I started--I kept leaning backwards and I wasn't getting good leverage. Once I got on top of the bar, so to speak, with my shoulders/upper back then the kink went well.

• Like 1

Okay finally watched the video and that's definitely the tougher "weld steel" instead of the A36 hot rolled. The soft real hot rolled steel would be a much wider U. That is decently wide but mainly because you crushed it down so much. Had you crushed A36 down to that level, it would be at a negative angle.

Nice job and way to stick with it.

By the way, how do you insert the video into your post? I just posted a thread of my phonebook tear but can't seem to get the video to insert into the thread. I'm really not liking computers lately.

Your form is looking great. This was an awesome bend and looked good. It's really time to buy some drill rod from toolanddie.com it will make you stronger faster. But keep doing what you are doing, it's working. And tell your wife to keep up the support and encouragement, that stuff really really helps more than one would think.