Rotational Levering And Resistance Curve

truth1ness

So I noticed that rotation sledgehammer levering exercises are a bit odd compared to most. In most exercise the resistance curve is matched so that the heaviest load is done in the middle of the muscles ROM. For example, a curl is hardest in the middle of the bicep's rom because the weight is the furthest away, same with wrist curls, plate curls, grippers get harder as your hand is more closed, euro pinch is set to your thumb's strongest point, even the ttk gets a bit harder in the middle of the rom.

Radial/ulnar deviation levering also follows this principle when you have your arm straight down (if it is out in front then the curve is reversed and it's hardest at the end ranges). However, rotational levering seems like it is always hardest at the end ranges with a sledgehammer. I feel like this makes the exercise kind of uncomfortable, like I'm stressing my end range connective tissue before I get a really good workout on the rotational muscles. There's really no way I can think of to hold a sledgehammer for rotational exercises that stress the middle rotational range where theoretically the most muscle mass can be worked. The only way I can think to do so would be something like a kettlebell where the handle is turned 90 degrees from the weight, but I don't have kettlebells and it seems like you would need very fine increments for this.

Do you think it's important to work this middle rotational range and how would you do so?

Wrist Thingy

• Like 1

Ask Chris Rice if he still sells the 'wrist thingy'. It was designed by the principle as a wrist roller and allows you to work that ROM with a flat weight curve. I don't remember what he charged me for mine but it was very reasonable.

• Like 1

So thinking about this today I had a realization and a possible product idea.

My realization was that a device I had right in front of me, my DARD, was actually a pretty magnificent tool for levering in the manner I describe and in general. Since it has bars coming out perpendicular to the weight you can hold on to those parts in all different locations and get all kinds of different levering stresses. You can hold it on the main weight rod, too, for normal levering directions like a short leverage bar. And the weight is moveable close/further from your hand so you can easily adjust resistance with just one weight plate. I had it sitting in my bedroom as I'm rehabbing my ankle and I just realized it's a pretty darn kickass levering handle that combines some of the benefits of sledgehammer and kettlebell levering because of the two handle orientations. I can post some pics if it's not clear.

There is a design idea I've had that I think could accomplish the constant resistance rotational movement with no external support needed. The wrist thingy looks pretty neat, but I do most of my grip work at home, though, so I don't have a barbell rack setup (though maybe I could roll it on a table?). The idea is basically think of an ironmind Twist Yo Wrist (with a groove that the weight rope rolls up into), hollow out the middle and place a bar handle across the hole where you grab it and rotate the whole thing. Since the rope is always a fixed distance from the hand there is a constant level of resistance through the whole rom and it shouldn't need any kind of external support. Here's a drawing:

YETtqJA.png

I don't have the ability to fabricate this currently but if anyone thinks it's a good idea and wants to give it a shot feel free to use this idea.

Edited by truth1ness

If you make it - they will come :)