Grade 8 Bent

Frank Pizzo

I went to Andrew P's this morning for a grip workout and ended up doing some bending afterwards. I didn't have my camera with me but when I got home I took some pictures of the bolts he gave me to bend and wanted to post them up here on the Grip Board to show my progress.

I bent these DO:

1/4" x 6" Grade 5 Bolt in single IMP's (my first attempt at a Grade 5)

5/16" x 6" Grade 2 in Double Leather's

1/4" x 6" Grade 8 in Double Leather's (my first attempt at a Grade 8)

Each bend was just barely within 2 inches but I'm extremely happy with my progress in bending so far!

Thanks again to everyone who has been helping me, and thanks for taking a look.

post-20365-0-50001300-1402246215_thumb.j

post-20365-0-04294400-1402246229_thumb.j

post-20365-0-20297800-1402246246_thumb.j

• Like 1

The coolest part was he killed the 8 in under about 20 seconds.

Very nice bends. Man you are making progress fast.

Man I would love to give those a go reverse. Good job fella.

Thanks Josh, next bending workout I plan to try some Grade 5's Reverse style...probably a warm-up for you in Reverse!

The coolest part was he killed the 8 in under about 20 seconds.

I had to do it so fast because you guys were leaving to go to that show LoL!...thanks again Andrew.

Awesome job. Are you researching where to get harder steel right now?

Thanks man, and yeah I do have some plans for harder steel...I need to be working on 7" lengths so I'm gonna be concentrating on some longer stuff.

Very nice bends. Man you are making progress fast.

Thank you very much Tim, I find it's pretty easy to get better at stuff when you have so many people that are willing to help you! That's the great part about the Grip Board; Its a wealth of knowledge and a congregation spot for a ton of experts in grip and bending and other things as well. Its hard not to get better with everyone looking... :grin:

Quite possibly. hopefully reversing a red soon!

Whats your short term goal buddy? fast progress and well done for starting bending!

Whats your short term goal buddy? fast progress and well done for starting bending!

As far as goals go, I think I'd be doing myself an injustice if I didn't at least try to make a run at the Red Nail...I'm probably realistically closer to bending the Red Nail under official conditions than I am to closing a #3, and I've been training grippers for a couple of years as opposed to bending which I only started a bit over a month ago.

Right now I have a grip contest next month I need to train for so I am probably going to cut the bending back at least some because it seems to be affecting my ability on grippers, but after that I might align the Red Nail as my primary goal.

I've found for me if im training grip I can bend atleast once per week and it actually helps, for me atleast!

I don't really train grip but my grip has definately gotten stronger from bending. I can routinely close a 2.5 which isn't real bad for someone who doesn't train.

• Like 1

I do believe grip and bending go "hand-in-hand" with each other, and training one can enhance the other. However, I think my problem is I'm doing two grip sessions a week and two to three bending sessions a week for a total of four or five hand related workouts. It's clearly too much for my grip...my bending seems to only get stronger from this amount of work(at least for now), but my grip events have all either stagnated or in the case of grippers slid backwards. I wish I could attack both simultaneous and both hard, but I'm gonna have to "pick my poison" if you will. Since I have a "dog in the race" so to speak, for a grip contest next month that will have to be my main focus right now. I still plan on bending once a week, but I think any more than that will negatively impact my contest preparation....but after that I plan on switching to two bending sessions a week and one grip workout and then see how that goes. I will find the right balance eventually, it will just take some time!

I do believe grip and bending go "hand-in-hand" with each other, and training one can enhance the other. However, I think my problem is I'm doing two grip sessions a week and two to three bending sessions a week for a total of four or five hand related workouts. It's clearly too much for my grip...my bending seems to only get stronger from this amount of work(at least for now), but my grip events have all either stagnated or in the case of grippers slid backwards. I wish I could attack both simultaneous and both hard, but I'm gonna have to "pick my poison" if you will. Since I have a "dog in the race" so to speak, for a grip contest next month that will have to be my main focus right now. I still plan on bending once a week, but I think any more than that will negatively impact my contest preparation....but after that I plan on switching to two bending sessions a week and one grip workout and then see how that goes. I will find the right balance eventually, it will just take some time!

Sounds like a good plan Frank. You can always add in some easy sub max bending at the end of a grip workout just to grease the groove.