Too Many Negatives

charlieb59lutton

today in a fit of anger because my grip progress seems too slow i grabbed my robert baraban adjustable gripper set it to 7-7 with hard spring and went to work and did kinda of a drop set tilly hands felt like ripping apart how much is too much. i understand that the muscles in the hand are like any other and too much of anything is bad but i put it in the terms of isometric work

If you're a beginner to grip and are counting on quick gains, what you need is not negatives, but rather patience.

• Like 3

Seriously, as Yori said you're going to need patience if you want to progress. You're not just training muscle, but joints, tendons, ligments, etc. It takes time for your hands to adjust. Learn to vary volume, intensity, frequency of your grip work. Take a week off every now & then. I'd recommend every 4th week. I'd take time after this bought of negatives and do some prehab type work - extensor bands, baoding balls, sledge hammer work, etc. for a week, before you even think of picking up a gripper.

• Like 1

Take your time and watch those negatives. In any well founded strength program they are used with long bouts of recovery in between. Not every day. Perhaps some of the great ones burned out far too quick because of doing them too often.Coax ,don't kill your hands. Hydrate, rehab, stretch!

• Like 3