Bending 6" X 1/4" Crs

Frank Pizzo

Ordered some 1/4" and 5/16" CRS from the internet and got it today. I thought I would give them both a try today after work. Here is the video of the 1/4" cut to 6 inches. It felt very easy so I went ahead and tried the 5/16 cut to 7"...which I believe is approximately a Red Nail (correct me if I'm wrong).

I was only able to Wobble the 5/16 a little (which I am still pretty happy with!), and I can upload the video if anyone requests me to for form critique purposes, but I think its more of a strength than technique issue! I'll keep everyone updated on my progress, and again thank you to everyone who has been helping with my form!

Warm-up bend for you now Frank! Way too easy!! I'd keep that 1/4" stock at 7" lengths so you can keep practicing on the longer stock. My first two bends of every session are two 7" x 1/4" bends. That's what this looks like for you now...warm-up stock. Nice job!!

Also if you want to start fully documenting bends a digital caliper works great for showing the diameter of bars.

You'll be killing that 5/16" stock very, very soon! Awesome job!

Very nice. You should try some 1/4 inch by 6 inch grade 5 bolts.

Very nice. You should try some 1/4 inch by 6 inch grade 5 bolts.

I was going to try the grade 5's, but I went to my local Home Depot, Lowe's, Tractor Supply Company, and Do-It Best Hardware Store...none of them carry grade 5 bolts in 6 inch or 7 inch lengths smaller than 1/2" in diameter. I went on line and buying 3 feet of steel rod is about the same as buying 2 grade 5 bolts, so I opted for the rod because I get more bending stock for the same price.

I don't know how much harder a grade 5 bolt i. Will it be noticeably stronger than the CRS?

Warm-up bend for you now Frank! Way too easy!! I'd keep that 1/4" stock at 7" lengths so you can keep practicing on the longer stock.

Sean, if I cut the steel to 7 inches won't it be much easier? Also I was thinking of cutting some of the steel down to 5.5" and ultimately 5" to make it harder since its so easy but the 5/16 is such a big jump up from the 1/4. Is this an acceptable method of increasing the resistance or will it hurt my ability with 7" steel?

Thanks guys.

Nice bend. Next time your over I'll pull out some Grade 5's.

Frank, if your main goal is certing the Red then I would bend 7" stock.

If all is equal 7" stock will be easier to crush then 6" stock, but the extra 1" can decrease the leverage making the kink a little more tricky. It's this reason that I'd use the 1/4" stock for a couple of warm-up bends.

To bridge tha gap from 7" x 1/4" to 7" x 5/16" I would purchase lengths of drill rod and cut them to 7". There is a pretty simple progression that many have used to bridge the gap. Sharkey's great post has all the info you need http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=42220&p=602057

You can buy drill rod in person at Fastenal or online at many places.

• Like 1

Nice bend. Next time your over I'll pull out some Grade 5's.

Sounds great!

Sean, if I cut the steel to 7 inches won't it be much easier? Also I was thinking of cutting some of the steel down to 5.5" and ultimately 5" to make it harder since its so easy but the 5/16 is such a big jump up from the 1/4. Is this an acceptable method of increasing the resistance or will it hurt my ability with 7" steel?

Thanks guys.

Sean is right on the money with this. When you are progressing to the Red, don't get caught up in all the numbers/ratings of bars (in comparing stock of different lengths). "Hardness" is relative at this level. The biggest thing for most is positioning, and the ability to get a strong starting point, with the 7" bars. There is no doubt you are able to bend 1/4" stock, at varying, smaller lengths. But, when you start running into position issues with the kink set-up, that is the most important point to address.

If your goal is the Red, try to stick with stock at that length, in progressively more difficult type (square, hex, drill rod). If you take your time with it, you will definitely be there soon!

Frank,

This is where you get into the fine details and there are different methods people employ that work differently for different people.

I use all of them to some degree and you'll find what works right for you. Here are few ideas that I mix up in my workouts from time to time.

As has been stated above, you can stick with 7 inch stock and increase the difficulty. I've used this one a decent ammount and it will get you results.

#2, I also do some bends where I incrementally increase the length as well as the difficulty of the stock. This is one of my new personal favorites. For instance if my goal was to go from blue to red, I'd start bending some 6.25 inch stock that's a little harder than a blue. This increases my flexibility gradually as well as my strength. Then I've hit some 6.5 inch by 9/32 stell then 6.75 inch by 19/64. As a matter of fact, I still do this in my warm ups to kind of stretch things out. Plus what I like about doing this is you don't get quite the awkward feeling from making a huge jump in length but that's my own personal opinion.

#3. Occasionally, I'll hit some longer stock that's somewhat easier to really get some stretching in so that when I drop back down to 7 inches, it feels like I can put more power into it.

I also have an assortment of pads that I switch up and I keep track of my PR's with the various pads.

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice, I really appreciate it. The more I can learn the better!

Anytime.